MothAudio

Re: 45 Luv
« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2017, 01:47 am »
Thanks Roscoe. VTV, miss those guys.

roscoe65

« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2017, 02:02 am »
Thanks Roscoe. VTV, miss those guys.

I have always been on the fringes of the SET movement, but have been involved since the mid 1990's.  I'm not sure how I found out about it but was a subscriber to Sound Practices and am still on the Joelist email blast.  The Sound Practices guys have stayed in the game, and some can be found in mainstream publications (Herb Reichert) but most are on some of the other, older forums online.

sfox7076

« Reply #22 on: 22 Feb 2017, 04:20 am »
It is hard to describe the difference.  First, the iron was rated at the same impedance, but I did not think to ensure the.  The tango was XE-20s at 5k.  Slagle was iron good for 10 watts on nickel core.  Both were awesome.  I would say slagle's was more transparent, while the tango had slightly better top end extension and realism.    Hard to characterize it. 

Docere

« Reply #23 on: 26 Feb 2017, 06:44 am »
I have not been here for a while... your system appears to have undergone a few changes. Looking good!

That amp looks like a well-executed traditional-style build; clean. Should provide years of enjoyment.

Cheers.

kevtn8

« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2017, 04:22 am »
That would have to be tested in an identical circuit.  There are transformer shootouts from time to time (the most recent I've seen is a budget transformer shootout over at JELabs between Edcor and Noguchi transformers) but not as frequently as there were about 20 years ago or so, when SET's were mostly DIYor custom.  The problem is that a real shootout of all or most available transformers would require us to have $5,000 of iron available to swap into a circuit.

Given a reputable hand winder and the materials and tech that are accepted to perform well, it becomes a matter of choice.  Your Electraprint iron is of good reputation but does fall into the lower (but not lowest) price range.  One advantage of EP iron is like many US manufacturers you can specify exactly the iron you would like within the confines of their factory capabilities.  The partial silver secondaries seem to be a particular bargain.

20 years ago we could choose from the big Japanese names (Tango, Tamura, etc.), Audio Note, Bartilucci, Magnequest, Lundahl, Electraprint, and some custom options available from Cary (Audio Electronics Supply - probably Edcor), Edcor and a handful of others.  Today, Tango is gone (RIP 2013), AES no longer exists, but we have access to a large Chinese manufacturing sector (for better or worse) and newer players have come on the scene, such as James (Taiwan) and the renewed availability of Hashimoto/Sansui (Japan).  We can pick almost any price point and specification from $50 to $750 for the typical 2A3/300B transformer.

Personally I like Hashimoto, but Shindo uses Lundahl and others like Wavelength use Magnequest.  Decware uses Edcor (I think) and Fi has switched from Magnequest to Hashimoto.

But to speak more directly to your question, this test hints at the relative quality of Electraprint:  http://www.meta-gizmo.org/Tri/vtv-se.html

Roscoe,

I'm thinking of ordering Oliver's SE 46 amp and have allocated a budget of 3k for this custom amp. I need some help in deciding what transformers to use for the output. Oliver has suggested either the Tango/Hashimoto or the Dave Slagle nickel. My friend have suggested why not Lundahl?  The sound that I'm striving for in this amp is sweet but crystalline highs, a balanced and neutral midrange and clear and deep bass. What is your recommendation on output transformers? To put things in perspective this amp will be replacing a Decware SE84UFO2 that I've had for awhile now but I've heard some good things about the 45 and 46 tubes and I think I have the right speakers for them. Hopefully I can get some clarity here. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2017, 05:44 am »
Tango/Hashimoto usually use small core=low power handling. Not sure if this is relevant on a flea power 45.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2017, 07:42 am by FullRangeMan »

sfox7076

« Reply #26 on: 13 Mar 2017, 11:21 am »
The cost of the tango iron is near the top end of your budget.  Tango stuff has gone over the moon of late.    Lu Dahl output iron is not impressive to me. Slagle and tango are close.  Tango is tracking more expensive than slagle right now.

roscoe65

« Reply #27 on: 13 Mar 2017, 01:31 pm »
Tango =/= Hashimoto.

I can't comment directly on the Tango vs, Slagle comparison.

The Hashimoto transformers are excellent.  I have a pair of H203U' sin my 421A amp.  This is the spiritual successor to the old Tango U808 "universal" transformer.  I recall a comparison in Sound Practices about 25 years ago with this transformer.  At that time they preferred most other transformers, including the Magnequest DS-025 and especially the FS-030.  However, Joe Esmilla vastly preferred the Hashimoto to the Tango.

For what it's worth, Don Garber has been using Magnequest iron forever, but has somewhat recently switched to Hashimoto.  The pricing is comparable so I would have to assume that it is a performance factor.

My personal recommendation is to ask for Oliver's opinion.  He has had a lot of experience with this circuit and if you convey what is musically important to you the two of you can probably arrive at a choice that will make you happy.

shooter

« Reply #28 on: 13 Mar 2017, 07:21 pm »
The 80% nickel Slagle iron are wonderful, also they can be regapped to suit your amp, sometime text book formula may not be the best for every system.
the Tango U808 is musical but not in the same league as the Tango Permalloy or the Slagle nickel.
If someone wants a pair of Tango U808 I have a pair available!

sfox7076

« Reply #29 on: 13 Mar 2017, 10:12 pm »
I use the slagle nickel in my 300B amp.  oliver has Tango.  They are very close.  The Tango Oliver using had about 10 years use when we listened.  Slagle iron had about 10 hours.  IMHO Parts of the Tango presentation of the upper midrange were better.  Low end and highs better on Slagle iron.  YMMV.  Also, the B+ On the Slaglewas lower at the time. Not sure that had an effect.  Switch error.  (My amp will run 300B, 275A and 6A3 tubes). 

kevtn8

« Reply #30 on: 14 Mar 2017, 06:15 am »
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Well I guess it comes down to Tango, Hashimoto, or Slagle nickel. Interesting that these are the 3 choices that Oliver offered me. I"ll email him and finalize my decision based on his circuit and my musical tastes.

Kevin

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #31 on: 14 Mar 2017, 03:07 pm »
Oh nice, keep us posted :thumb:

Abszero

• SE DHT
« Reply #32 on: 15 Mar 2017, 01:42 am »
FullRangeDude !

currently using Raven's from Birch Acoustic.  lovely speakers.  Vapor meets Omega.

To me , the 45 is holographic + resolved with a touch of romance  :wink:

YMMV

Dwight

Happyrabbit,
I can't agree more with your description of the 45.
I am listening now to my recent built 45-76 amp. Used James transformer that I find a very good compromise price quality.
I am using a 01A preamp to get a little gain needed for a 3Vrms input sensitivity amp.
I am enjoying so much this combination. My speakers are Alpair 12P by Mark Audio.
Cheers,
Radu

happyrabbit

« Reply #33 on: 18 Mar 2017, 06:32 pm »
Radu !

Thanks for the pic !  45 FTW  :green:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 18 Mar 2017, 06:38 pm »
Unusual a toroidal power transformer for tubes.

Docere

« Reply #35 on: 19 Mar 2017, 06:27 am »

Happyrabbit,
I can't agree more with your description of the 45.
I am listening now to my recent built 45-76 amp. Used James transformer that I find a very good compromise price quality.
I am using a 01A preamp to get a little gain needed for a 3Vrms input sensitivity amp.
I am enjoying so much this combination. My speakers are Alpair 12P by Mark Audio.
Cheers,
Radu

Radu, your amp deserves a topic of its own - maybe start a dedicated thread? Beauty is more than skin deep - do you have any shots of the internals?

Cheers.

sfox7076

« Reply #36 on: 19 Mar 2017, 12:12 pm »
I have the fortune of having dealt with both Radu and Oliver.  Both make really great stuff.  I think the circuits and build philosophies are somewhat different and the iron used is always different.  That said, the results of both are undeniably awesome.  Radu has a blog with his stuff on it.  https://simplepleasuretubeamps.wordpress.com/   

happyrabbit

« Reply #37 on: 21 Mar 2017, 02:08 am »
Mr Oliver's current system  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 21 Mar 2017, 02:20 am »
Any information on that speaker?

sfox7076

« Reply #39 on: 21 Mar 2017, 02:45 am »
It's a coral beta 10.