Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz

MiamiBoy

Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz
« Reply #100 on: 6 Aug 2017, 08:36 pm »
I purchased the MP-D2 in December 2016 and started blowing fuses and could not figure out why. Only recently did I realize why. Won’t go into all the gritty details but it was because I was trying to compare other DACs to the MP-D2 and had everything connected to the same preamp so I could switch back and forth between the MP-D2 and the other DAC.

BTW, the other two “DACs” were the OPPO UDP-203 and a Bluesound Node 2. TMEIMS (that should be a standard acronym to qualify “to my ears in my system”) the MP-D2 DAC sounds slightly better than the OPPO which has a damn good DAC and much better than the Node 2.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2019, 03:02 pm by MiamiBoy »

MiamiBoy

« Reply #101 on: 7 Aug 2017, 09:44 am »
One question I have for the MP-D2 forum is for those who are NOT using a computer connected directly to the MP-D2’s USB port, how are you streaming high rez files to the MP-D2 given that Toslink is limited to 96kbs? I don’t use a computer directly connected to my MP-D2’s usb port to play high rez music. Are you using some kind of renderer like Sonore or SOTM to convert from ethernet to USB? Or is there an option to just connect my USB drive to a local device that can output USB to connect to the MP-D2?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #102 on: 9 Aug 2017, 05:09 am »
If you're interested, and have time to read through the final two pages of chit-chat, I attended a great G2G this past Saturday. It was really to celebrate my new Daedalus Audio Apollo speakers, but it was very much a DAC-athon. There were 2 variations of the first MP-D2 present, 2 Metrum DACs, a Denafrips Venus DAC, and an upgraded Lampizator Atlantic (that blew them all out of the water in my opinion- 'course, it cost ~$6500!). It wasn't until after I made my impressions that I learned of its exact cost.

Rather than my retyping my impressions here, here's the link to the other thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=141682.300

Michael

The G2G was at my house so I have a pretty good idea how different gear sounds in my room, even if there are different speakers which Micheal brought. I have to agree that the Lampi did blow the other dacs we tried away by a pretty good margin.

My reason for this conclusion is two fold. One is that the dac itself is really open and refined but also has a warmth to it that is very balanced. Roy's and Jake's' both had warmth but to me they didn't have the clarity and open airy presentation that the lampi had.

The big difference in my book is for $6500.00 you get a killer pre amp also. I didn't hear the pre amp in the D2 but from everything I've read it is sub standard, so in my mind that makes a huge difference in the cost to value equation.

Regarding the bias comment, I have to say I was wide open to whatever was installed in the system. Both of the D2 dacs were very good for sure. I really liked the way Jake's was set up but also liked Roy's dac as well, which I mentioned in the thread Michael linked to. I just think the Lampi was more open and resolving and let the music through and into the speakers. Of course, that's just my opinion so take it for what you will.

Michael, I will send you a PM tomorrow. I just had 37 people at my house for Saturday and at least 17 for 6 days, sooo I haven't gotten back to you or Mike who also PM'd me a few days ago.

Over and Out for tonight,

Greg

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #103 on: 9 Aug 2017, 05:45 am »
 :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #104 on: 9 Aug 2017, 02:44 pm »
I purchased the MP-D2 in December 2016 and started blowing fuses and could not figure out why. Only recently did I realize why. Won’t go into all the gritty details but it was because I was trying to compare other DACs to the MP-D2 and had everything connected to the same preamp so I could switch back and forth between the MP-D2 and the other DAC. What threw me off was it wouldn’t blow the fuse right away but would blow shortly afterward when I was doing something else but it must have weakened the fuse without blowing it. I have never had a fuse problem unless I was trying to do the A/B “live” switching between DACs. If I first turn the MP-D2 off before throwing the preamp selector switch I never have a problem. So for me it was not a problem with the MP-D2 but how I had it connected while doing live switching.

BTW, the other two “DACs” were the OPPO UDP-203 and a Bluesound Node 2. TMEIMS (that should be a standard acronym to qualify “to my ears in my system”) the MP-D2 DAC sounds slightly better than the OPPO which has a damn good DAC and much better than the Node 2.

I haven't had any fuse issues since switching to 3.5A slow blow. I think that the original fuses were not suitable for the MP-D2.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #105 on: 9 Aug 2017, 03:46 pm »
One DAC I'd definitely like to hear is the Holo Spring R2R DAC. I almost bought one of these instead of the MP. If the Holo Spring is good enough to satisfy digital guru ted b, I'm interested. Priced $1500 to $2500.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/reviews/holo-audio-spring-level-3-kitsune-tuned-edition-r2r-dac-review/

What I'm trying to find is a DAC that can compete at a superior level without spending $6000. I was hoping that the MP-D2 could be a possible contender, with extensive mods, at this level. Unfortunately, no talented modder has chosen the MP as a candidate. It would be great if the MP-D2 would be the base for Gustard X20 like mods.

On comparative reviews, I prefer that reviewers would avoid hyperbolic language such as "wiped the floor"  and write in more nuanced terms describing comparitive texture, degree of transparency, placement of instruments depth/width of soundstage, etc. Wipe the floor doesn't tell me much.
A DAC is not a mop. :D
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2017, 07:52 pm by rajacat »

wisnon

« Reply #106 on: 9 Aug 2017, 08:06 pm »
One DAC I'd definitely like to hear is the Holo Spring R2R DAC. I almost bought one of these instead of the MP. If the Holo Spring is good enough to satisfy digital guru ted b, I'm interested. Priced $1500 to $2500.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/reviews/holo-audio-spring-level-3-kitsune-tuned-edition-r2r-dac-review/

What I'm trying to find is a DAC that can compete at a superior level without spending $6000. I was hoping that the MP-D2 could be a possible contender, with extensive mods, at this level. Unfortunately, no talented modder has chosen the MP as a candidate. It would be great if the MP-D2 would be the base for Gustard X20 like mods.

On comparative reviews, I prefer that reviewers would avoid hyperbolic language such as "wiped the floor"  and write in more nuanced terms describing comparitive texture, degree of transparency, placement of instruments depth/width of soundstage, etc. Wipe the floor doesn't tell me much.
Basic Atlantic SE Dac is only $4k...significantly below the cost of a fully loaded A-Plus. The Atlantic is R2R PCM and chipless DSD256.
If you are going to mod a Dac like the MP-D2, the price may end up close to that $4k

nc42acc

« Reply #107 on: 9 Aug 2017, 08:08 pm »
I will try and help with the comparison of the MP vs the Holo. I am running the MP at the office currently getting some hours on it before I take it home. I have the Holo currently in my system at home and so far very impressed. Without getting my DAC mop bucket out I think it compares highly with the Schiit Yggdrasil. The Holo is a little more revealing and stage front presentation but with great layering. These comments are all based on the Holo NOS mode. Just some initial impressions.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #108 on: 9 Aug 2017, 08:23 pm »
I will try and help with the comparison of the MP vs the Holo. I am running the MP at the office currently getting some hours on it before I take it home. I have the Holo currently in my system at home and so far very impressed. Without getting my DAC mop bucket out I think it compares highly with the Schiit Yggdrasil. The Holo is a little more revealing and stage front presentation but with great layering. These comments are all based on the Holo NOS mode. Just some initial impressions.
Thanks. I'll be looking forward to your further impressions and comments.  :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #109 on: 9 Aug 2017, 08:29 pm »
Basic Atlantic SE Dac is only $4k...significantly below the cost of a fully loaded A-Plus. The Atlantic is R2R PCM and chipless DSD256.
If you are going to mod a Dac like the MP-D2, the price may end up close to that $4k
Not that I can't afford a 6K DAC but the tech is changing so fast that unless you have $'s to burn, it seems extravagant to spend that kind of money.

djd

« Reply #110 on: 5 Sep 2017, 04:07 pm »
Musical paradise .. now offering the ESS 9038 chip .. add $471 bucks

No news from them as to what the sonic differences are ... why i wonder ?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #111 on: 5 Sep 2017, 05:31 pm »
I wonder if there's a way to update the original MP-D2 so that it can accept different chips. :scratch:

djd

« Reply #112 on: 5 Sep 2017, 08:31 pm »
Well they are offering it  Upgrade to es9038 pro , for about $370 bucks

You going for it ?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #113 on: 6 Sep 2017, 05:00 am »
Well they are offering it  Upgrade to es9038 pro , for about $370 bucks

You going for it ? u
I think you have to upgrade to the MK2 version to support to support user changeable chips. I'll email to inquire.

JackD

« Reply #114 on: 6 Sep 2017, 05:16 am »
Roy

If you like the sound of the AKM chipset you won't necessarily like the ESS chipset.  Their voicing is different. 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #115 on: 6 Sep 2017, 05:47 am »
Roy

If you like the sound of the AKM chipset you won't necessarily like the ESS chipset.  Their voicing is different.
I like the AKM chip a lot. I'm just curious. I'm curious about how Jupiter copper caps would differ from the Mundorf S/O too. Presently, I'm very happy with how my rig is sounding but always have a little bit of audionervosa. :roll:
BTW I really like the EH 6922 tube. I have the regular pins and cryoed.

wushuliu

« Reply #116 on: 6 Sep 2017, 01:51 pm »
Musical paradise .. now offering the ESS 9038 chip .. add $471 bucks

No news from them as to what the sonic differences are ... why i wonder ?

Part of the price jump is es9038 is an expensive chip. Way more than the akm I would bet.

ESS are neutral lean sounding but not sterile. Micro details and layering and great specs. Matter of taste. AKM definitely different presentation.

djd

« Reply #117 on: 6 Sep 2017, 08:32 pm »
Thxs for info , Well im liking The mytek 192 dsd dac { Es 9018 } chip , So i guess that makes me a sabre lover? , But i want to upgrade to something with tubes .
Hey Rajacat are you using the expensive mullard CV378 rectifier tube as well as the EH 6H30 pi?

Slapshot

« Reply #118 on: 10 Sep 2017, 04:38 am »
I've read all through this discussion, as well as the one at Audioshark. The MP-D2 is an absolutely fascinating DAC given the ability to not only rube roll, but cap roll, and with new units, even roll the DAC chip? Brilliant concept. I'm seriously looking at buying the basic unit, and then upgrading the tubes and caps. I just want to make sure I have the information right, to do so. I would not be using the unit balanced, so if I understand correctly only the following caps and tubes are involved:

2 capacitators 2.2uf 630v

2 EC88 (or 6922?) tubes

1 5R4G tube

Please let me know if I have things correct, or if other (US or European) tube variations are possible. Thanks very much.

JC

djd

« Reply #119 on: 10 Sep 2017, 09:07 pm »
 Purchase one on Friday
Will mod to death
This is a hobby right !
Have fun and buy huge speakers