Photography course

soundofrockets

Photography course
« on: 21 Jan 2017, 03:36 am »
Getting into taking good pics.  Any online course or books to learn to take good pics. Mostly family and some outdoors/sceneries. 

Early B.

Re: Photography course
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2017, 04:24 am »
Experience is the best teacher. Shoot what you like every single day for the next year or two. Manual mode only.   

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2017, 11:32 am »
Lynda.com
Cambridge in Color
Sites like these give some technical info but daily experience as Early B. says is the most important.

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2017, 01:33 pm »
Harvard is offering an entire photography degree online for free!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

https://petapixel.com/2017/01/14/take-harvards-free-online-12-module-digital-photo-course/

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2017, 01:48 pm »
Experience is the best teacher. Shoot what you like every single day for the next year or two. Manual mode only.   

I disagree on manual only.  I've seen way too many photo students struggle with that assertion; they keep changing things until it works without learning WHY they are changing things.

Exposure modes are tools, not remedies; each has their use.  While I am NOT a fan of program, shutter and aperture priority are fine for the novice.  What IS critical is paying careful attention to the exposure data in the viewfinder so they can understand what that information means and see what results those changes provide.  Once they are more comfortable with that experience, then use manual to fine-tune the effects they seek.

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2017, 04:21 pm »
I disagree on manual only.  I've seen way too many photo students struggle with that assertion; they keep changing things until it works without learning WHY they are changing things.

Most photography students, upon graduation, still take lousy pics. Taking classes is not the best way to learn things that require your active participation. I'm basing my "manual only" suggestion on personal experience and advice I received from older, more experienced photographers. Once I developed the discipline to go manual only, that's when the real learning began. With manual mode, you'll quickly learn the WHY. Of course, if the OP were interested in shooting sports or wildlife, I wouldn't recommend it. 

The principles of photography are very, very simple. You can learn all of them in about 20 minutes. Everything else is experience.       

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2017, 05:12 pm »
Agreed, and we both probably learned when manual was the only way or there were few options.  Now most shooters are women who don't think like we do, and they are faced with a ton of options and a million idiots on FB who say XXXX is the ONLY way to shoot.

The dearth of quality B&M photo shops mean the aren't taught the basics at the point of sale, which adds to the problem.

I've been teaching community photo classes for 25 years, and I've had very students who realized they could adjust the diopter on their viewfinder.  Those who buy the law of manual struggle mightily because they don't have mentors (I live in a rural area).  When they get some guidance they often thrive, but many of the older women are really intimidate by those numbers.

Don't get me started on women assisting other women.   They don't always play well together....

I shoot manual often but in dynamic situations it can be tough.

dwk

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2017, 05:32 pm »
somewhat self-guided unless you catch up, but based on my survey of the 2016 (/r/photoclass2016) version it doesn't look too bad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/photoclass2017/

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2017, 05:38 pm »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2017, 06:17 pm »
Getting into taking good pics.  Any online course or books to learn to take good pics. Mostly family and some outdoors/sceneries.

As previously stated, experience is the best teacher.

For starters, begin with Program / Auto (Green) mode and don't worry about exposure modes for now. Good pictures are visually compelling. Learning how to compose and frame your subject is the first step towards towards creating a good picture. With respect to family and people in general, move in closer and consider the background. Does it complement the subject or distract? You also want to learn the rule of thirds.  Only after you have a handle on the basics of composition and framing should you concern yourself with exposure.

bside123

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2017, 06:18 pm »
An additional approach can include looking at photos on various photo sites and learning from the images that you see.

Composition, Lighting, Settings, Focal Length, Post Production, etc. are critical to great shots. Many sites display the the EXIF data, which can be extremely
educational. The data gives a photog an opportunity to experiment and try different approaches on their own and in the field in
real time. The great thing about digital is the ability to practice without wasting film. Literally thousands of practice opportunities
become available for the avid hobbyist. Nonetheless, digital doesn't truly replace film.

Class curriculum combined with hands-on practice, combined with studying photographic image is a good combo.

On another note, we have photo pages right here on AudioCircle. The most frequently used thread is "Photo of the Day." Lots of variety,
but little technique, feedback or positive criticism is actually shared. We all simply love to see each others images from art to daily pastimes.

We could start a thread that was a bit more "artsy" in it's approach.

AC photographers could post images for feedback, discussion, constructive criticism, suggestions, appreciation and learning. If so, the EXIF data should be shared, so
we could all see how the image was accomplished. Pertinent info related to camera, lens, settings, approach and processing would be really educational. We've
got some very good photographers here on AC, along with some true professionals to boot!

Just a thought...  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2017, 07:55 pm by bside123 »

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2017, 07:42 pm »
Another big one is what different focal lengths bring to the table...

bside123

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2017, 07:56 pm »

drphoto

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2017, 11:44 pm »
I quite like strobiest.blogspot.com. Not a photography course but one about lighting. Particularly using speed lights off camera. I've been a pro shooter for 30 years and learned a ton from this guy. I now shoot nearly all my location work with one to 3 speed lights. (as opposed to the old days of lugging around studio pack/head system)

I put up a post about this months ago, besides the basics of learning how to frame things, one of the best things you can do to improve pictures is learn to control lighting. Photography does mean 'writing with light' after all.

Agree w/ bside on looking at good pictures. There's nothing wrong in the beginning w/ ripping off great stuff. Great way to learn. Also, look to classic paintings for inspiration.

Best of luck to you.

SET Man

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2017, 01:22 am »
Hey!

Luckily these days with digital you do get instant result. I remembered starting out in photography with film back than and you don't know if you screw things up until you spent time and money developing the film and print them.  :icon_lol:

Anyway, with photography to me the first thing is to master the technical side of it, like shutter speed, aperature, ISO and etc. This can be learned by anyone. The hard part is the artistic side of the photography, this can be learn to some certain extend but personally I feel its mostly come within the person and experience overtime.

So, beside online tutorials, as mentioned before here by other members, do check out take a look at photos works from great photographers of the past and also check out new one also. See what you like and inspired you, go out and take pictures. Also, as with art, there's no set rules so take picture that pleases you... well, unless you shooting for a client than that's another story. Well, enjoy!

BTW... talk about great photographers of the past. Found this old film about photography with Ansel Adams on PBS of which I posted on another topic....

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148082.msg1584049#new

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

drphoto

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2017, 01:52 am »
As an aside to SET's post re: 'unless shooting for a client'.....yes, if you are shooting an assignment, you will have basic guidelines to follow, but the big mistake I made for years was trying to shoot what I thought the client would buy. IE: the most straightforward and basically boring image.

I feel like I only became a real photographer, when I grew a pair and started to shoot what I thought was the most interesting pic. And let the chips fall where they may. And it worked, happy clients all around.

But, yeah, as you learn, rip off the greats. As I've said before one of my favorite working big time pros is michealgrecco.com or maybe jerryghonis.com (Gihonis maybe a 'wedding' photographer, but his work is nothing short of stunning) These guys are people oriented.....you never said what you interested in shooting

If you like documentary type work, Sebastion Selgado is incredible.

Dark and disturbing....Matt Mahurin ( I love this guy, own one of his prints)

And for the old tymey  guys....sure Ansel is awesome. But there's Weston, Penn, Alvedon, etc, etc.

Have fun friend.

SET Man

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2017, 02:13 am »
As an aside to SET's post re: 'unless shooting for a client'.....yes, if you are shooting an assignment, you will have basic guidelines to follow, but the big mistake I made for years was trying to shoot what I thought the client would buy. IE: the most straightforward and basically boring image.

I feel like I only became a real photographer, when I grew a pair and started to shoot what I thought was the most interesting pic. And let the chips fall where they may. And it worked, happy clients all around.

Hey!

Exactly right on that. I've worked for some that demand thing to be done the way the wants but at the end it is the photographer who get to interpretive the idea and put on the final photos.

Salgado's works are amazing. Definitely one of the great photographers out there.

Take care,

drphoto

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2017, 05:48 am »
Buddy, did you see Salgado's (and yes, you  had the correct spelling) "Workers" exhibit when it toured years ago? Wow was that amazing. The guy just has an incredible eye and clearly an empathy for his subject. Huge beautiful prints. Made me realize why people pay the money for Leica. I couldn't believe that sort of detail could come from 35mm.

SET Man

« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2017, 01:36 am »
Buddy, did you see Salgado's (and yes, you  had the correct spelling) "Workers" exhibit when it toured years ago? Wow was that amazing. The guy just has an incredible eye and clearly an empathy for his subject. Huge beautiful prints. Made me realize why people pay the money for Leica. I couldn't believe that sort of detail could come from 35mm.

Hey!

Ahhh... Leica, I do love the iconic M system, the old film M cameras. Those M lenses are definitely some of the best around for 35mm film. But if you are are using the R system than there's a Minolta connection to that one. By the way, I love Minolta lenses. Well not all of them they do make crappy cheap ones too.

As much as I admire the M system, I can't afford it right now. It is not the price of an M body but those lenses would cost me an arm and a leg  :icon_lol:

Anyway. No, I didn't "Workers" and stupid me missed his "Genesis" exhibition about 2 years ago at ICP in NYC and I live here in NYC!!!  :duh:  But right now I'm looking forward to see the upcoming "Irving Penn" exhibition at the MET in April.  8)

Take care,

drphoto

« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2017, 10:28 pm »
Penn is a god in my book. His portrait of Picasso is one of my all time favorites. Sorry if I swerved off course of the original post, but then again, we did say looking at great photography is one way to learn......right? i mean when it comes to portrait photography, Penn checked all the boxes.....composition, lighting and that intangible connection to his subject. He did some interesting still life work, but it's not my favorite part of his repertoire.

OP, you mentioned family pics. I think when most people think of people photos, they reach for the short telephoto, but I've been shooting more and more stuff the past few years with normal to even wide angle lenses and showing the environment.

An example of this his the home/loading page of my website....thephonenixphotography.com. In the past I would have shot the painter with an 85mm (on FF camera) but my then assistant (now  business partner) said...."you know, those skylights are cool" And so I did this version. That picture was the beginning of me doing things my way, not the safe way. I like it and so did the client. I hope this doesn't seem like a shameless self promotion. I'm only stating this to say....there really are no rules.  (BTW: 28mm, Canon 6D about 1' off the ground. The image is a composite. The scene was shot first, then the painter brought in. There were rim lights on him that were in frame, but he was 'pasted' on the background image. It works visually because you think the rim light is coming from the skylights)
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2017, 11:52 pm by drphoto »