Oppo UDP-203

Phil A

Oppo UDP-203
« on: 27 Dec 2016, 01:25 am »
Didn't see a thread in the Home Theater circle so I thought I'd start one.  Have the player about a week but only hooked up for a little more than half the week.  I probably have a bit more tweaking to do (have done some) and I'm sure there will be software updates to fix bugs.  I only own one UHD Blu-Ray (X-Men Apocalypse) which I watched yesterday.  I have it in a spare HT where I have a Sony 2015 4k TV (55 inch 850C).  Looked really great and sounded great too.  I had an Oppo BDP-103D (I have another in the main system just for video with an Epson 5030 projector) in the room.  I watched a few minutes of a Blu-Ray too (San Andreas) I've seen before.  I moved the 103D to the master bedroom (had a BDP-93 in there which I'll put in the upstairs bonus room at some point with hard drives attached - have an old modded BDP-83 in there now which I'll move somewhere else).

I also played a handful of DSD files (I have a Sherbourn preamp with HT Bypass and an Emotiva XPA200 amp) and a couple of CD quality files and from the limited sample I thought the 203 was a hair more refined sounding.  I thought it was an improvement.  I'll eventually do more listening at some point.  System pic is below as well as a pic of the backs of the 103D and 203 (which has the vents in the rear - fronts are different but not dramatically).

Phil A

Re: Oppo UDP-203
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2016, 01:26 am »
Here's closer pics of the rears of the units:

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2016, 05:57 am »
It's pretty rare that I can say it's a no-brainer when it comes to an entire product category, but that's what Oppo represents as far as Im concerned. I've had my Oppo BD player since 2011 and has run without a hitch ever since. The minute I'm ready to upgrade, it'll be to whatever the current Oppo model is at the time. So that being said, I have no doubt you just bought yourself a great player, Phil  :thumb:

boe

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2017, 09:27 pm »
I got the 203 as well.  Well built like previous units.  Has a number of glitches that I'm positive the firmware updates will fix.   Get one if you can live with the current glitches or wait a few months if you can't.

I use mine for streaming MKVs mostly - definitely some improvements but also one step back.  It won't stream Dolby Atmos MKV files as Atmos like the 103 does.   That may get resolved in a firmware update or a hack.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2017, 01:12 am »
Never tried streaming video but do stream audio files including DSD ones.  Did test that (I had to change some setting on the video resolution if I wanted to play via HDMI) and have my player connected via the analog outs to the Sherbourn preamp.  I've heard (not tested it) that the media control app for the BDP-10x will work with it and that it will have an official app soon.  I do in some instances use that function.  Basically wanted it to play UHD Blu-Rays (just rec'd Jason Bourne in the mail) and so I could move the 103D to the bedroom which hooks to the outdoor speakers so I can access all approximately 50,000 music files (on my NAS) from my phone.  I have the old 93 with a couple of hard drives that I'll need to reconfigure (take off DSD files) ready to eventually go to the upstairs bonus/guest room. The 103D makes it so much easier not to use a hard drive attached to the player and not to worry about the file format as I have lots of DSD files.  I'm sure they will eventually fix the glitches.  The system I have the 203 in (in the above pic) is basically for UHD Blu-Rays and daytime TV (e.g. football).

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2017, 02:15 am »
I have had the 203 for a few months now and I am growing to really hate it. It's noisier than my 103, has no better sound or picture quality, doesn't have YouTube and the "drop-out" problem is getting worse. I called Oppo and the tech said that the drop-outs are caused by HDMI "handshake" issues. He told me to press "pure-audio" on the remote. This will send a black picture to the TV. Then in this mode the display on the unit goes off! Great idea Oppo! Now I can't see track number or time! I don't consider this an improvement! The "drop-out" happens even more in this mode! The tech said that the 103 did the same thing! Mine did not! I was listening to some CDs tonight and the dropout happened about ten times per song! Then the player notified me of a new firmware update. After the update I had even more dropouts than before! I finally got up and pulled the HDMI cable out of the unit. I wish I never bought this piece of crap!
If anyone has an older Oppo unit I would advise that you keep it.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2017, 02:54 am »
At this point only have watched two UHD movies, one Blu-Ray and some Blu-Ray extras on another disc.  Have also listened to a few DSD files streamed via the network.  I have a hard drive with some multi-channel files waiting to be tried.  Moved my 103D to the bedroom.  On each of the UHD movies, there may have been a momentary glitch (black screen) and from what I can tell the DSD files sound a hair better on the 203.  I've read some of the really long thread at AVS.  It seems some of the people have problems depending on the receiver and display and also cables used.  I have some other reconfiguration to do on that system (moving a modded 83 back in as I moved my 103D to the bedroom and the 93 I had in there upstairs).  I'm also going to look at the HDMI cables (I believe I have Blue Jeans going in and out).  I'm using a Marantz 5010 and a Sony 850C as a display.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2017, 03:12 am »
You need the "newest" HDMI cables that can do 4K uhd.  They come with the unit.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2017, 04:08 am »
You need the "newest" HDMI cables that can do 4K uhd.  They come with the unit.

I believe the Blue Jeans are (but I do have the ones that came with the unit as well) - http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2017, 05:47 am »
One thing I believe seen thru my attempts to keep up with the AVS thread with some TVs it may require (until a firmware fix) to not run the video thru certain receivers (with perhaps certain settings) and take the HDMI directly to the TV and the 2nd audio only HDMI to the receiver.  I've seen at least some complaints about lip sync issues.  It certainly with the new UHD format has more glitches than previous releases (and I have two 103Ds, a 93 a modded 83 and even an old DV980H).  I just stuck the old modded 83 in the rack and will eventually make cables for it and hook it up and have it for the few times that system gets used for music/disc listening.  It's more or less my 3rd or 4th music system and I use the room more for HT or daytime TV. 

AV stuff can drive you nuts for sure.  I spent a bunch of hours yesterday thinking I had a problem with the 2-channel amp in the main system or the HT Bypass input of the preamp.  Turned out after about a half hour that it was merely a couple of loose connection on back of the amp (which I had turned sideways to check put and they came loose when I put it back).  I had run the speaker level calibration and the right channel much lower and having a hum.  So I started off tonight playing a mono DSD file and switching the RCAs on back of the preamp and then when I had a problem, I moved the amp and started to see what happened (I had made new speaker cables which after a bunch of problems getting back there decided just to put on the second music system a couple of weeks back).

I initially had problems (and may still have them) playing DSD files via HDMI and had to change one of the video settings (Custom Resolution - don't ask me why).  I basically will use the analog outs of the player for the few times I listen to music going into my Sherbourn preamp (with HT Bypass for theater).  I do have the hard drive with multi-channel DSD files sitting there so after I get the cables made and the modded 83, I'll have to re-visit DSD over HDMI.  The Marantz 5010 will do PCM on multi-channel (vs. my old 6003 which could do DSD) so I'll get into the settings and test that at some point.  Just trying to finish the AV stuff and put hard drives with non-DSD files up in the bonus room with the old BDP-93 (Marantz 6003 and GR Research N3s) and will need to adjust the video settings too.  Just want the AV stuff done.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2017, 01:29 am »
Over the years, I think I've spent more money chasing HDCP than I have audiophile magic pixy dust.  :(

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2017, 02:10 am »
Over the years, I think I've spent more money chasing HDCP than I have audiophile magic pixy dust.  :(

Did you catch it :green:

This player is buggier for sure than earlier releases.  In a way for me personally it is good.  I had HDMI cables run in the attic for the master bedroom and living room projectors.  Not that I'm in the market for a new projector any time soon (bedroom is Epson 8350 and living room is Epson 5030) but given the distance of the runs, if I ever think about another projector, it likely would be one of those ultra short throw ones.  More than likely if a TV went, I'd probably opt for a better UHD TV (not that mine is horrible) and move the current one I have.  A good part of the discussion on AVS centers around cables.  I've never bought super cheapo cables (make many of my own) and it has given me pause about things like a projector.  I'm perfectly happy with both of mine and having one UHD system and two 3D ones (main and the UHD TV and that was one reason I grabbed it besides it being HDR).

That's also one of the reasons I started this thread.  Not that I've had horrible problems with it so far but from what I've seen probably many people have had problems.  I'll certainly over a period of time be playing with the setting more than I normally do

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2017, 02:12 am »
The only way to catch HDCP, is by throwing money at it.
Seems the beast enjoys eating pieces of green colored paper.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2017, 08:56 pm »
Got prompted for a new firmware update earlier - https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-udp-203-Support.aspx  It is supposed to fix/resolve these issues:

"
Comparing to the previous official release version UDP20X-29-1209, the major changes included in this version are:
Resolved an issue where the Home Menu was fixed to a 60 Hz frame rate.
Resolved an HDCP 2.2 failure when connecting to an HDCP 2.2 receiver and an older, non-HDCP 2.2 display.
Resolved a black screen issue with certain UHD titles after resuming playback.
Improved a micro-stuttering issue when outputting UHD, BD, and DVD titles at 24 Hz.
Resolved an SACD playback issue where the player would immediately return to the Home Menu.
Optimized disc loader performance for better disc compatibility and spin speed control.
Resolved an issue where the player could not recognize music files when using Serviio server.
Resolved an issue where the RS-232 command #SRC would not work on the UDP-203.
Pressing and holding the Resolution button on the remote for three seconds will reset the player’s Output Resolution, HDR, Color Space, and Color Depth settings to factory defaults.
Improved the gapless playback feature for audio files.
The Home Menu now supports a wrap-around function.
Improved the over-saturation of colors when using the experimental Strip Metadata feature. Please note that the black level is temporarily fixed to a very low level when enabling the Strip Metadata feature.
All features of the previous firmware are also included in this version."

A_shah

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2017, 06:08 am »
I probably had one of the 1st OPPO 203 UHD since I live in  northern California I got a email from them one evening  and I just drove the next morning waited for the guys to open the place and they then handed me the unit I have not called the Tech so far but is the HDMI audio  port configured to work with audio I don't seem to be able to make it work with my Marantz SR5005 Receiver  ?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #15 on: 1 Jun 2017, 01:30 pm »
So for those of you that have had the 103D is the 203 worth upgrading too?

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jun 2017, 02:45 pm »
So for those of you that have had the 103D is the 203 worth upgrading too?

I probably have to send my back again.  First time I had no display and they replaced a board.  I think the wired network board went.  I have 5 UHD movies (have not gotten around to watch Logan I got last week).  I don't use my Oppo player for music in primary systems.  I have a couple of 103Ds, one in the main system for video, one in the bedroom system for video and since the bedroom system feeds the outdoor speakers, I can connect to my NAS and easily play lots of files outside from the Oppo App on the phone.  I have a 93 in an upstairs bonus room with hard drives attached with files and for movies, a DV980H that is not connected (really sitting there as a region free DVD player if needed).  My old modded 83 has a stuck drawer and I'm not sure what I'll do it with it.

For streaming files from my limited exposure, the 203 is a tad smoother than the 103D.  I don't use any of the streaming stuff on the 103D (e.g. Netflix as I have Roku boxes or smart TVs).  UHD movies so far have not been 100% glitch free (momentary drop outs or slow downs here and there).  I have a 55 inch Sony UHD in the room with the 203 (only sit 7 feet away).  I don't buy as many movies as I used to.  I bought the Sony for back-up 3D duties (have an Epson 5030 projector in the main system) and to have UHD capability.  All the Oppos have nice pictures.  The way I figure it for me personally, I could always move that 203 where I have the 93 (and then I'd be able to use the NAS for DSD files too) and retire it at some point.  So I'd guess you would have to decide how much UHD discs interest you.  When I watch the regular Blu-Ray including with my UHD one on my main system with the Epson projector, 100 inch screen (sit 10 feet away), I am thrilled with the quality of picture and sound.  The whole initial 4k rollout for early TVs has not been super smooth.

roscoeiii

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jun 2017, 03:07 pm »
And how about the 4k upsampling (or whatever that's called for video content)?

I probably won't buy much 4k content and there's limited 4k streaming at this point, so conversion of SD or HD to 4k is a big area of interest for me.

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jun 2017, 03:24 pm »
And how about the 4k upsampling (or whatever that's called for video content)?

I probably won't buy much 4k content and there's limited 4k streaming at this point, so conversion of SD or HD to 4k is a big area of interest for me.

I can tell you that the 4k TV even watching regular TV looks better.  Regular Blu-Rays look really nice (the 103D or any of their players are not slouches though).

I know someone who has the 75 inch version of my Sony and 4k Netflix and it looked outstanding.  There's just at this point not enough content for me to jump in yet.  I had my 103D in that system (with the 4k TV) before the 203.  For me personally, the jury is still out.  I like the way they re-designed some of the menus on the 203 but I think they need to over time work out glitches with the new format to make it a slam dunk.  Any other improvements are not much more than marginal for me at least.  I'm thrilled with my 103Ds.  For the 203, I can appreciate what they are trying to do but they haven't gotten there yet for me.  I love the brand and their support.  I know there is talk about 8k (at least at this point) down the road and I don't think from my experience that I'd be on the forefront of that format change.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #19 on: 1 Jun 2017, 05:05 pm »
Thanks Phil.
I have been very happy with all of the Oppo's I have had.
The 103 works well and like you I don't rely on it for streaming duties.

I'm using an Amazon firebox and use the apps available there where needed. Mostly Hulu and PBS.

I have the same Sony TV as you and the 103 throws a great picture on the tv as well as the projector.

I was curious if it was worth the upgrade..
Bob.