Online mattress companies

jlupine

Online mattress companies
« on: 4 Dec 2016, 03:02 pm »
I saw the 3 1/2-year-old thread on replacement mattresses.  I wonder if anyone has experience with some of the newer Internet mattress companies like Tuft & Needle, Casper, Leesa, and Saatva.  For us, it's especially important to be comfortable thermally and in a variety of sleeping positions.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Online mattress companies
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2016, 12:10 am »
I think it would not be wise to buy mattresses online, I like to experiment, sit and lie down and see the details of the manufacture.
But if it is very cheap...

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2016, 12:46 am »
Sears carries one that's blue and white (online). I had one and really liked it. Maybe I'll look up name later.

Buying untested is ok only so long as you have reviews to read. Many foam type mattresses that are cheap will make you sweat like a pig on a stick over a fire.

jmc207

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2016, 02:40 am »
http://sleepopolis.com/ and their YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/sleepmattressreviews is a pretty good review site for all of the online mattresses.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2016, 02:48 am »
We did the mattress hunt just a while back.  I didn't do any online but the store hunt was real hard.  You can go to three stores and never see the same model for that manufacturer.

Each store had it's own model# or name so unless you took all the stats of coil count and wire info you are just comparing prices. 

Just my take on the process.

Alan

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2016, 03:27 am »
I've heard and read some good stuff about the Purple Mattress. Been thinking of getting one.
Any thoughts?

srb

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2016, 04:22 am »
All of the online mattress brands the OP referred to are foam mattress shipped compressed in a box.

Most offer free return, but make sure they will pick up the mattress at your residence without requiring that it go back in the box, as that is a Herculean task that few mortals would be able to accomplish without special compression machinery.

Many offer soft, medium and firm models.  I bought a memory foam mattress from Costo (not that cheap, ~ $700 after $200 discount).  Although it was physically at the Costco warehouse, it was in a box and there was no floor model sample to test.  It was rated as "medium", but after sleeping on it for 3+ weeks it was just too soft and gave me back pain instead of luxurious sleep.

Costco picked it up in its expanded state and I saw on the paperwork that it was to be delivered to a warehouse for destruction.  For health reasons I can understand that it can't be restocked and resold, but you would think that there would be some mechanism to allow for donation.

Anyway, I'm now a little gun shy to buy one unseen and untested, and the morals of my story are (a) make sure the return - if required - will include picking up at your residence in the unboxed state  and (b) err on the side of firm.

Steve

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2016, 04:51 am »
I know it's expensive, but this mattress topper will change your (sleep) life. It's the ultimate in thermal regulation as well. 

http://thenaturalsleepstore.com/products/naturepedic-woolly-topper.html

Instead of going all-out on a very expensive mattress, I spent a decent amount on a firm spring/latex foam hybrid and added the wool topper.

Mattresses that tend to sleep hot have a top layer of soft foam, memory or otherwise, that you sink into. All foam seems to be hard to get right without spending a ton. IMO, spring/latex foam hybrids are the way to go.

Check out mattress underground forum, lots of good info and reviews. I spent a ton of time researching last year before buying from a local manufacturer, Sleep Nation in Denver. It cost a decent chunk of change for the mattress + topper but it was WELL worth it!

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2016, 05:06 am »
Wool is really, really nice during the summer. I had a wool futon when I was in college (bed, not couch/bed), and no A/C, but made it through the summer. I didn't get cold during the winter either.

I like a soft top, but prefer good support under it. For me it's tiring if my hips sink too much, but not enough is bad too.

werd

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2016, 06:13 am »
Online mattresses

Gross! ... enough said.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2016, 06:45 am »
I've seen videos of people making their own latex mattresses, probably a good idea.

ctviggen

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2016, 10:34 am »
We did the mattress hunt just a while back.  I didn't do any online but the store hunt was real hard.  You can go to three stores and never see the same model for that manufacturer.

Each store had it's own model# or name so unless you took all the stats of coil count and wire info you are just comparing prices. 

Just my take on the process.

Alan

The process is completely fake.  They make it so it's impossible to compare mattresses.  In some ways, it's worse than car shopping. 

We went relatively recently to replace our latex mattress, and tried a ton of mattresses.  We bought the latex when that was the "thing" to do, but that mattress was not a good one.  We ended up with foam over coil hybrid, and with a relatively expensive mattress from Tempur-pedic. I think it's one of these, though which one I cannot remember:

https://www.tempurpedic.com/shop-mattresses/tempur-flex/

In the past, I remember not liking memory foam, but we found these mattresses to be great.  And we still love it. 

One thing to consider is a thicker nice set of sheets.  We've been buying some that are so expensive you have to buy them at half price and they are still expensive.  But they are warm when you get in them.  I'll have my wife send me the link.

BobRex

« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2016, 02:20 pm »
In the past, I remember not liking memory foam, but we found these mattresses to be great.  And we still love it. 

One thing to consider is a thicker nice set of sheets.  We've been buying some that are so expensive you have to buy them at half price and they are still expensive.  But they are warm when you get in them.  I'll have my wife send me the link.

We ended up with a Sealy memory foam bed.  The wife likes to read in bed, so we also ended up buying an adjustable frame.  Yep, the bed is warm, even though it supposedly has the "cooling crystals" (whatever the hell they are) in the mem foam.  There is a company that makes well designed ventilated mem foam mattresses - Thermotemp or something like that.  Apparently they started impacting Tempurpedic's sales, so Tempurpedic came out with their "cooler" mattress sets.

The sheets are tricky.  We went through the high TPI count sheet sets a few years ago - up to 1000 TPI, IIRC.  As the count goes up, the sheets become warmer and warmer.  Yes, they do fell more luxurious, but they can be too warm.  We ended up sticking with 300-400 TPI sets.  They are soft, yet still breathe.

ctviggen

« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2016, 03:15 pm »
I think these are the sheets.  They're flannel. For Spring, Winter, Fall in New England, these are the best sheets we've found.   You don't freeze your butt off when you get in bed, and they aren't bad until Summer, when they're too heavy.

http://www.landsend.com/products/6oz-supima-flannel-sheeting/id_177417?sku_0=::CRE

You have to find them at a 50% off sale.  We've bought them (on sale) for everyone in our family (us and our two kids, so three beds, although for our bed, we have multiple sets).  They're that good. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2016, 03:22 pm »
Agreed on the sheets, I'm not a big fan of blanket-like sheets. I just go with a decent organic cotton I can find on sale.

Another thing I think is worth the cash is silk pillowcases. I'm not a big fan of silk sheets, especially the fitted sheet, but for pillowcases it's totally worth it.

It is possible to make your own latex mattress, they are pretty simple but the foam is still really expensive and then you get no warranty or trade-in. I also would not sleep directly on any kind of foam, too hot, so then you need to add a topper too and this will cost more than a decent spring/foam hybrid with warranty. IMO, 100% latex foam mattresses are unnecessarily expensive.

werd

« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2016, 04:33 pm »
Mattress needs to be on a good box spring and base.  I imagine the floor would be the best base but you really can't do that.  I prefer no sheets too since sheets add slip but you can't do that either. 

Still can't believe people buy their mattresses on line. It's one of those things that can be justified blowing a lot of money on. Which you want to try it out first.

RPM123

« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2016, 05:36 pm »
I saw the 3 1/2-year-old thread on replacement mattresses.  I wonder if anyone has experience with some of the newer Internet mattress companies like Tuft & Needle, Casper, Leesa, and Saatva.  For us, it's especially important to be comfortable thermally and in a variety of sleeping positions.

You could check out this website for reviews: http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/bed-mattress-review-home.html

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2016, 05:40 pm »
Well... my grandmother didn't have a choice on her last mattress. She was banned from the mattress store in her area because they returned so many mattresses. It was policy to be able to, but they did it so many times that my grandmother would have had to purchase several mattresses at once for them to break even by the time they banned her...

Syrah

« Reply #18 on: 6 Dec 2016, 06:17 pm »
There's an article in this month's GQ about online mattress stores, with a few reviews.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2016, 03:42 am »
Well, call me old fashioned or whatever you like but I personally cannot sleep on anything but a good waterbed. People in the US, which is where I live and always have think it was some kind of trend or fad and now poo poo it and laugh. In Europe they are still very popular because the bottom line is they don't create the pressure points all other mattresses cause. In Europe they are used in hospitals on a regular basis because they prevent bed sores for the patients. Here is Seattle at Harbor View and other hospitals they are used in the burn units for the same reason. Pressure points are a big problem for a lot of people and yes waterbeds can be a hassle to deal with because they are heavy. Especially if you have to move or they spring a leak. However, I have spent years going to some of the nicest hotels with the nicest of beds and woken up with sore shoulders, sore hips and an aching back from sleeping on all these supposed fancy beds. We recently purchased a very nice memory foam mattress for our beach house and I can's stand sleeping in it. It's too hot and I wake up sore. I also purchased a memory foam cover mattress only from Costco for a pull out couch bed and it is better than the couch but I still don't like it. My Wife's folks bought a very expensive latex mattress many years ago and they were always too hot, and it has the holes in it which was supposed to eliminate that issue. Anyway, companies are making really nice waterbed mattresses still today that are much better at being waveless and look just like any other mattress, we are actually buying a new one this month with a really cool platform bed to put it on. We are buying it on line because there is only one company in our area that sells them. The one we are buying is believe it or not from Sealy who makes really nice beds.