Triode Wire Labs at the New York Audio Show - Stereophile's TOP 3 Rooms!

Triode Pete

Just got back from the 2016 New York Audio Show - I'm completely exhausted & I didn't even run in the Marathon!!!

It was a great show but the rooms were a bit boomy (since they were "square" in shape). However, with a bit of room treatments, we "tamed" the sound a bit...

We received from Stereophile's Jana Dagdagan one of the Top 3 Best Sounding Rooms... see http://www.stereophile.com/content/perspective#bacRPFQFSBt92ubt.97

"The Volti Audio/Vinnie Rossi/Triode Wire Labs/Fidelis room, which consisted of Rival, Volti's new compact horn speaker ($7900/pair), a Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amplifier (with DHT PRE, custom configured; $10,280), and a Vinnie Rossi VR120 stereo power amplifier ($4995). The analog source included Acoustic Signature's Triple X turntable ($5795), TA-2000 tonearm ($2399), and Dynavector XX2 Mk.2 Cartridge ($1995). Triode Wire Labs cables were used throughout.

I thoroughly enjoyed Vinnie Rossi's room at RMAF2016, so I was excited to hear his amplifiers again at this show. We listened to some Elvis at first, which showed off the system's evenness and depth. I then requested jazz, and they put on "The Alternate Blues" from the Thorens 125th Anniversary LP, which featured Clark Terry, Freddie Hubbard, and Dizzy Gillespie. With jazz, over any other genre, balance is king—to me, at least. I was pleased to hear how well this system laid out the instruments, and how well defined Dizzy's horn (which can sometimes come off as muddy) sounded. It was a comfort system; nostalgic, deep, and enveloping."

John Atkinson was in our very crowded room and listened for awhile... I take that as a compliment. He took a bunch of notes but nothing has been posted yet.

Jim Austin from Stereophile was also in our room and posted this... http://www.stereophile.com/content/nyas-2016-day-one-jim-austin#BdLYWGTK32yRVfa6.97

"My award for Most Surprising Sound goes to the Vinnie Rossi/Fidelis AV room, where the smaller (but still imposing) Volti Audio horn loudspeakers—the Rivals—belied their big (41.5" x 19" x 16"), aggressive-looking boxes and modest price (starting at $7900/pair) with surprisingly intimate sound, via amplification from Vinnie Rossi: the VR120 Stereo Power Amplifier ($4995) and the modular LIO Integrated amplifier, with direct-heated triode line stage, DAC, and phono-stage options ($10,280 as configured). Ricky Lee sang from the Show Biz Kids LP via an Acoustic Signature Triple X turntable with a TA-2000 tonearm and the Dynavector XX2 Mk.II cartridge ($5795, $2399, and $1995 respectively). The big bass excited some room (and possibly speaker) resonances, but overall it had good texture."

I don't know why it was surprising... Great sound should be expected!!! BTW, the new Volti Rival speakers (see http://voltiaudio.com/rival/ DO NOT resonant with their 1" thick baltic birch plywood walls & internal bracing... at a mere 125 lbs. each!!! ... and of course Vinnie Rossi's stuff "kicks ass" as usual... I was also VERY IMPRESSED with the Acoustic Signature turntable... great stuff!

Cheers,
Pete
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2016, 11:21 pm by Triode Pete »

Alfi

Hi Pete,
I visited your room this past Saturday afternoon.
I thoroughly enjoyed the system.  It seem to do well with many different types of music.
You and the Volti host were quite hospitable and I have the TWL Koozie  to prove it  :D.

cheers,
Al

BobM

That was one great corner of the show. Three of the best sounds at the show IMO. Volti and TWL in one room. Laufer-Technik next door, and Martin Logan across the hall. I spent most of my time around them.

Only one other room I liked, with those big horns down on floor 7. Otherwise it was an unimpressive show with so few manufacturers present, and really none of the big boys. I guess these shows are falling apart. Another true sign of the state of the economy, I guess.

Thanks Pete and Greg for keeping the faith and making these shows worth going to.

StereoNut

+1 Bob

The sound in the Triode Wire Labs room with Vinnie Rossi, Volti Audio and Acoustic Signature was great!  One of the very few rooms where you heard MUSIC, rather than Hi-Fi.  Your system presented a very welcomed palpable sound.  Great dynamics without the usual audio show "pyrotechnics" and yet relaxed and musical.  In the immortal words of Guy Fieri... "Winner, winner, chicken dinner!"  :wink:

Keep on killing' it, guys!

SN
(Bill)

paul79

• Industry Participant
Rival is looking like some of the prettiest stuff I have ever seen... Congrats guys!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Congrats Pete.

Gopher

No surprises here!   

Keep killing it, Pete! 

I absolutely love the custom cabling hardness you made for my power supply.

Triode Pete

Thanks, guys! Appreciate your feedback!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Pete

sunnydaze

No surprises here!   

Keep killing it, Pete! 

I absolutely love the custom cabling hardness you made for my power supply.

"Hard" cabling is a very good thing!      :thumb:     :lol:

KLH007

Congratulations Pete on another great showing! Sounds like a synergistic combination with your cables connecting Greg's latest Rival and Vinnie's DHT Swiss Army Knife. How much improvement has Greg brought to the Rival which we both heard at CAF one day after they were built?

Triode Pete

Congratulations Pete on another great showing! Sounds like a synergistic combination with your cables connecting Greg's latest Rival and Vinnie's DHT Swiss Army Knife. How much improvement has Greg brought to the Rival which we both heard at CAF one day after they were built?

Greg Roberts from Volti has improved & tweaked his "Rival" design quite a bit. It's basically ~1/3 the size of the Vittora at ~1/3 the cost! Greg uses the same drivers as in the Vittora with a slightly smaller mid-range horn (that Greg also fabricates from wood by hand - a known tractrix flare). Spending countless weeks through measurement & voicing, he had a Vittora alongside to try to emulate the sound as close as possible. IMHO, he did a fantastic job... The main reason for the cost reduction of the Rival is in the labor involved... The Vittora requires ~ 250 hours to manufacture while the Rival takes ~ 2/3 less man-hours to fabricate...

Here are some details on the Rival... http://voltiaudio.com/rival/

Cheers,
Pete

Volti Audio

• Industry Participant
Thanks for all your hard work at the show Pete.  For those of you who haven't been to a room that Pete is 'running', he is terrific at playing great tunes and keeping the audience engaged. 

I don't want to say too much about the NYAS here, but I do think that NYC audiophiles, and in fact anyone who attends any audio show deserves better than what the Chester Group is delivering each year. 

Everyone was complaining about the sound in their rooms.  The only rooms that didn't have bass problems were the rooms that didn't have bass.  Believe it or not, there were several of those.  Why would anyone buy a speaker that has no response below 100Hz? 

Our room at the NYAS was not only square, but had flimsy walls that added bass to the music.  I suspected this during the show, but now I know for sure.  After the show, I brought the Rival speakers to Fidelis Audio in Nashua NH, where they will remain on display until they sell.  In a proper demo room, the Rivals sound so much better than they did at the show.  The room at Fidelis is lean in the bass, a sure sign that it is overly damped.  But in that bass-controlled environment, the absence of bass nodes allowed the Rivals to really shine.  Bass was tight, deep, well defined, and a bit lean.  If it were my listening room, I'd remove a few of the absorbers and let the room sing back to me a bit. 

What a great experience to be able to end my weekend being able to hear my speakers performing at such a high level.  Much nicer than having the memory of room 805 stuck in my head. 

The improvements made to the Rival design after the Capital Audio Fest, where I demonstrated and sold the prototype pair, are significant.  Mostly in the midrange, which is much fuller and bolder than those prototypes sounded.  I had to work hard on the crossover design to bring the midrange forward and still have it integrated with the rest of the sound.  The design went through a complete aesthetic makeover.   I did the final voicing with a Rival sitting next to a Vittora, and with a switchbox on my lap, switching between the two while music was playing.  Fun. 

Greg

« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2016, 03:43 am by Volti Audio »

Volti Audio

• Industry Participant
Here they are in the Fidelis Audio room

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I am just 15 minutes from Fidelis...maybe I need to bring my LIO DHT and give them a listen.

George

Triode Pete

I am just 15 minutes from Fidelis...maybe I need to bring my LIO DHT and give them a listen.

George

That will definitely be a winning combination!

Cheers,
Pete