Any opinions on Schiit BitFrost DAC?

Yomaha

Any opinions on Schiit BitFrost DAC?
« on: 14 Oct 2016, 05:29 pm »
I've been looking at DAC's recently hoping to spend less than $500.  I've read good things about Schiit, and heard some of their gear paired with the Salk Song 3's at THE Show in Newport.  I believe it was the Schiit amps (not their DAC), but that setup in that room sounded great.  I also like Schiit's upfront philosophy about the products they build.

A fellow board member and myself have gotten together to do several different A/B comparison sessions, with one of the most notable being between a $1800 DAC (very reputable manufacturer) and the Google Chrome Audio $35.  In blind and not blind (we aren't super scientific) tests, again and again, it was tough to hear an $1765 difference.  There was a difference, and the advantage was to the more expensive piece.  However, neither of us felt the sonic difference justified the price difference. 

The more expensive unit was a few years old versus new gen google audio chrome.  This left me wondering if that is a space where the technology improvements happen so fast, that maybe it would make more sense to spend less as the technology continues to evolve in favor of the consumer.  Also with the Bitfrost, there appears to be modular upgrades that can be done so as to keep that box from becoming obsolete. 

Curious if anyone has had any experience with Bitfrost, and/or any comments about price points for DAC's as the technology continues to improve. 

Thanks!!

gnostalgick

Re: Any opinions on Schiit BitFrost DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:31 pm »
  I haven't heard them yet--but read quite a bit about them when I was shopping for a dac earlier this year.  It's their multi-bit dacs that get the most praise; so $599 for the BitFrost MultiBit or "bimby" when you select that option.  Also it seems many feel its not worth the money to step up to higher in their line unless you can make use of the fully balanced XLR outputs on them.  There's also a Modi Multi for $250, but that was pretty recently released & I don't know much about it.

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2016, 06:38 pm »
Look into the Emotiva Stealth DC-1. It is balanced and has more features and apparently better sound as well according to some users on head-fi that have both.

Additionally, do not discount pro gear. You'll often find better features and value, if not also better sound.

Yomaha

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2016, 07:55 pm »
Thanks Zoom - I'll read up on Emotiva.

What is the advantage of the multibit feature.  Obviously, it should sound better, but why?

Thanks!

gnostalgick

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2016, 08:43 pm »
Why is way beyond me.

From the Schiit website:

Multibit DACs differ from the vast majority of DACs in that they use true 16-20 bit D/A converters that can reproduce the exact level of every digital audio sample. Most DACs use inexpensive delta-sigma technology with a bit depth of only 1-5 bits to approximate the level of every digital audio sample, based on the values of the samples that precede and follow it.

Others would say that implementation is far more important than the chip used.

geowak

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2016, 08:53 pm »
I don't have the multibit Bifrost. I had purchased the standard Bifrost some years ago and upgraded to the Bifrost Uber. I installed the new DAC board myself, not too difficult. And yes I really luv the sound. Organic, musical (Not dry or clinical). I think the sound, upgrade-ability and affordability of Schiit DAC's is really outstanding.

My two cents.....

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2016, 09:15 pm »
I owned the Emotiva Stealth DC-1.  It is a combination DAC, preamp, and headphone amp.  The BiFrost is just a DAC, but upgradeable which is a big plus in my book.  The DC-1 seemed to be well built, but did have some things I didn't like:

- Remote volume control was very touchy
- Headphone jacks were 1/8" (hardly professional)
- Sound was clear but rather sterile/mechanical

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2016, 04:56 am »
Thanks Zoom - I'll read up on Emotiva.

What is the advantage of the multibit feature.  Obviously, it should sound better, but why?

Thanks!

Here's a good page on 'why', even if it does show unfiltered data (thereby perpetuating the canard that DACs output a 'stairstep')

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/conversion.htm

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2016, 01:12 pm »
Hi Yomaha, I just purchased a Google Chromecast so I could stream You Tube from my tablet to my tv. Is this the same devise you were running the Schiit Bitfrost with? It was 35 dollars. I have not yet bought into the DAC world. Is this the way to go if I were to watch a concert on You Tube with my tv going thru my stereo?    Thanks very much....Mark Korda

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2016, 04:07 pm »
Here's a good page on 'why', even if it does show unfiltered data (thereby perpetuating the canard that DACs output a 'stairstep')

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/conversion.htm

Hm, like the guy says, I think you (anyone) has to listen for yourself. For my part, I'm done with multibit (at least in the black and white way it gets talked about lately), having just this year bought two multibit DACs and sold them again. (Not expensive, but seem to generally be considered excellent in their price class.)

PS. To OP, the Schiit DAC is called Bifrost ;)

Charles Xavier

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2016, 09:20 pm »
Hm, like the guy says, I think you (anyone) has to listen for yourself. For my part, I'm done with multibit (at least in the black and white way it gets talked about lately), having just this year bought two multibit DACs and sold them again. (Not expensive, but seem to generally be considered excellent in their price class.)

PS. To OP, the Schiit DAC is called Bifrost ;)

John what were your reasons for selling ? I gather you did not care for them.

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 16 Oct 2016, 08:02 am »
Hi Charles, I bought them to see what the fuss is about and didn't like them enough to keep.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2017, 05:32 pm »
I have several DS dacs, HRT, ODAC, etc....recently purchased a Schiit Vahalla 2 OTL amp, and just ordered a "Bimby"....I will let you know my opinion next week!
Alex

artur9

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2017, 02:06 am »
I have the Schiit Bifrost upgraded to Uber status.  I found it less analytical than some other DACs I've tried, which I've sold.  I originally had the plain, old original Bifrost.

Currently I'm using the Gungnir MultiBit which I am enjoying quite a bit.

willsw

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2017, 12:59 pm »
Regarding the comparison with the older DAC: the delta sigma chips do seem to age badly and I wouldn't be surprised if a quite expensive DAC from several years ago was now close to the level of the latest inexpensive hardware. Well-implemented examples of non-oversampling and HDCD chips are still considered by many to sound as good, or equally desirable to listen to, as current DACs, though this seems limited to the <$1000 price range and will likely get cheaper for both the old and new.

If you are thinking of going to the Bifrost multibit, we recently did a A-B session with the also $600 Denafrips Ares and listeners were unanimous in preferring the Ares. Still, I know many people enjoy all versions of the Bifrost.

walkern

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2017, 01:45 pm »
I've got a Bifrost Multi and I think it sounds fantastic.  I took advantage of the fact that Schiit has a listening facility in my home town (Newhall CA) to listen to several of their DACs (using headphones and their speaker set up which also uses Salk speakers), and I liked the Bifrost 4490, but loved the Multi.  They are VERY accommodating at their listening facility, so it might be useful to drag what ever device or DAC you'd like to compare in there and ask them to set you up.

I haven't tried any expensive DACs, but I have enjoyed a variety of modestly priced ones, and the Bifrost Multi is the best I've heard for under $1,000.

rotarius

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jun 2017, 09:33 pm »
I had the older version of the Bifrost and failed to hear the hype surrounding it.  Clean and detailed but a bit light in the bass.  Nothing to write home about.  The MF V90 in the same price range was just better in every way (did not try USB).  As for multi-bit dacs, I am sure they are super for redbook resolution.  But in the world of increasingly higher resolution downloads,  32/384 chips and the decline of CDs, why bother?