Looking at 2C's

Sandals123

Looking at 2C's
« on: 4 Oct 2016, 10:39 pm »
Hello all.

I have long coveted the Vandy's lineup but have never owned a pair. A good friend of mine has a pair of 2C's in nice condition and is asking $400cdn.

Any concerns, thoughts about issues to watch for?

dminches

Re: Looking at 2C's
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2016, 12:30 am »
Hello all.

I have long coveted the Vandy's lineup but have never owned a pair. A good friend of mine has a pair of 2C's in nice condition and is asking $400cdn.

Any concerns, thoughts about issues to watch for?

If you listen to them and they sound good they should be fine.  My guess is that they are 20+ years old but they are still a good speaker.  Your other option is to spend more and get a new pair.

chili555

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2016, 02:18 pm »
I would be interested in whether they are 2s or 2Ci or 2Ce. This should be shown pretty clearly on the serial number plate. My 2Cis were numbered like 99999 Ci, so it should be apparent. You can barely see that these are 2Ces: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/attachments/classifieds-speakers-subwoofers/47347d1394513254-vandersteen-model-2ce-speakers-exc-cond-599-chicago-suburbs-dsc_1881.jpg

The 2s had a foam surround on the woofers which is subject to early decay and rot. If not now, then soon. The 2Ci and 2Ce are butyl which will probably not rot in your lifetime.

Unless the woofers were re-foamed or replaced, I'd pass on plain 2cs.

ctsooner

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2016, 05:57 pm »
Great advice on the foamed drivers.  I had that in all my old Proacs and finallysold them all and moved onto the Treo's.  The new 1b's really sound incredible with a nice NAD, Rotel or even better the Belles integrated amps.