macOS Sierra released

dB Cooper

macOS Sierra released
« on: 21 Sep 2016, 02:43 am »
I'm gonna wait until the first patch comes out, but 'macOS' is officially released now. Wondering if the people who were having USB audio problems on El Cap ever got those sorted out.

The big question is, will it be macOS "Sierra" or "Bravo Sierra"?

Time for "look before you leap" types to visit www.roaringapps.com again.

KR500

Re: macOS Sierra released
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2016, 01:22 pm »
My iTunes problems with the El Capitan update finally sorted out after a month or 2 last year .
The updates this week on OS, Safari and iTunes have been squirrelly though . Installer seems to be stuck on each update and has to be forced off and I will probably have to re-install all of them .
Sound output stopped working for some reason except to Apple TV , no sound at the Mini (2015 model )

Doublej

Not to my machine
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2016, 11:42 pm »
I can install 10.0 but not not 10.12. I clicked Learn More in the dialog box that pops up when I tried to download 10.12 but it doesn't tell me squat.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2016, 12:28 am »
Was one who got burned on El Capitan.  From what I gathered it was released in Beta form and lacked the necessary built-in drivers to work with the DAC I was trying to buy.

So, I'll wait as long as possible to "upgrade".

Constant upgrades drives me nuts.  Except for protection features I haven't found a useful operating system or software update in the past 20 years, just confusion and hassles for an "ordinary user" like me.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2016, 01:27 am »
There is, to be sure, a goodly amount of bloatware and change for change's sake in both of the "major" operating systems. Most people don't want to do more, and more, and more with their OS's- they just want them to work well, be easy to use, and be secure.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2016, 02:56 am »
Interesting that you put it in that way.  The longer I've been involved with technology, the more I find myself disabling/removing/uninstalling/turning off more and more "features".  I've also evolved from a mindset of prioritizing versatility and potential to focusing on simplicity, reliability, and basic utility.

Maybe I'm just getting older. . .

(For the record, as of now I'm still on Mavericks and not moving on until I have a darn good reason to!  It took my bank finally no longer supporting Tiger to drag me kicking and screaming this far.  :lol:)

J-W

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2016, 01:43 pm »
Well said, Jon.

KR500

« Reply #7 on: 22 Sep 2016, 03:12 pm »
I'm with JJ except he articulated it better than I would have

brother love

« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2016, 04:44 pm »
The phrase "buyer beware" doesn't apply, more like "download at your own risk".  :|

Some vendors are slow to provide needed drivers for new OS. Companies like M2 Tech are no longer updating drivers to older devices (now referring to them as Legacy products).

After being burned once, I always verify with my DAC or USB/SPDIF converter vendor before downloading ...

cody69

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2016, 10:52 am »
Has anyone upgraded to Sierra yet? Any feedback on the experience?

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2016, 10:09 pm »
No problems at all on my 2013 Macbook Pro Retina.

KR500

« Reply #11 on: 7 Oct 2016, 12:19 pm »
Sound output choices other than Apple TV vanished. had to unplug twice to get them to return on my 2015 mini

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 7 Oct 2016, 12:38 pm »
I downloaded it as soon as it became available. Computer is a 27 inch retina, 3.5ghz, solid state. No issues at all. Siri is a nice feature.

chrisc

• Listen to the great composers
« Reply #13 on: 3 Dec 2016, 10:28 am »
I like OS Sierra.  It worked straight away with a NuPrime HD-AVP so that was a relief.  I have been using JRiver for a new years and will try Audirvana.  Maybe there will be an improvement, maybe not

davidavdavid

• Music lover first, gear head second.
    • david.com
« Reply #14 on: 3 Dec 2016, 12:12 pm »
Before upgrading to Sierra make sure your devices are registered with Apple. You might be surprised unpleasantly.

AllynW

« Reply #15 on: 3 Dec 2016, 06:24 pm »
My Brothers All in One Printer stopped working wirelessly after the Sierra upgrade.  After getting the new drivers from Brothers, it still would not work wirelessly. The internal wifi section of the device appeared to be broken.  I connected it to my router and it printed fine but would not scan.  Not much info in the FAQs.  The solution was easy.  I reset it to the original factory settings and set it up from the start again.  Restoration!

Now the funny part,  when I told the wife it was fixed she was slightly pissed.  That's when she says, I have alway hated the way it scans pictures and hoped it would stay broken.  We now we have a new Epson "All In One"  Well that covers her Christmas present!

Fingerless

« Reply #16 on: 23 Mar 2017, 04:05 pm »
Has anyone upgraded to Sierra yet? Any feedback on the experience?

I don't believe Sierra is so action-packed with upgrade worthiness to make the plunge. I wish Apple would stop dragging the desktop experience down the iOS path.