Aural Enlightenment III - Especiale Pics are up!

Big Red Machine

Aural Enlightenment III - Especiale Pics are up!
« on: 2 Sep 2016, 11:56 pm »
I'm getting closer to finishing this room. It has been the step child project in this house - lack of funds after putting in the new kitchen, lack of time, I'm tired, and it has been work as opposed to fun going through all the traps of getting the behind-the-drywall items right.

Paint is done, floor is down, trim is needed, tons of acoustic features are just starting to be fabricated. Lots of details still required. Haven't even wired the main circuit up yet with that very difficult 10 gauge wire.

Goals of the room design:

Quiet - don't let it escape, don't let it in. Family room directly above.
Modes - try not to have compounding resonances
Diffusion is king - trap only what is fundamentally required
Anchor the speakers to the earth through the concrete - float the rest
I don't want to see my rack
Create an esoteric and tasteful 2 channel getaway

Teaser photo of what the pre-construction room looked like:

« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2016, 11:31 am by Big Red Machine »

Big Red Machine

Re: Aural Enlightenment III - Especiale
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2016, 11:22 am »
The cleaned out room to start the fun....

I have NEVER had a room build that did not require farting around with objects that interrupted clean lines of construction. Elec panel, ducting, gas lines, water meter, fireplace cleanout, steel beams, and support posts.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2016, 11:51 am »
Too bad about the pipe column.  Were you able to relocate/eliminate it? 

Fortunately I had a new build (that I designed) so the room was close to ideally shaped with no columns, windows, pumps, heaters, electrical panels, furnace, etc. to deal with.

My biggest mistakes were both related to the ceiling:  1.) Using recessed can light fixtures.  Even with air tight, rated to be in contact with insulation, and 12 inches of loose insulation sound transmits up and down.  2.)  Contractor refused to float the ceiling drywall via gauge metal furring strips.  He said he'd done "sound rooms" before.  Yeah right.

Neither are a huge deal (the room is well removed from bedrooms).  I could come back and replace the cans with track lights or wall sconces and apply another layer of drywall with Green Glue. 

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2016, 02:33 pm »
I'd agree with recessed fixtures.  In my old house, I was going to put a pool table under where I put the recessed cans but then changed my mind.  So I just left them.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2016, 02:36 pm »
You can see one of the recessed cans to the left of the soffit - had two on each side.  I also recessed the rack (and CD and DVD storage units) into the unfinished part of the basement.  Originally has a 64 inch old rear projection TV where the screen was.

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2016, 02:48 pm »
Pete, is this the same house you were putting the MLV in?  Are you building two rooms for audio?

Best,
Ed

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2016, 05:31 pm »
Pete, is this the same house you were putting the MLV in?  Are you building two rooms for audio?

Best,
Ed

Same room.

And no can lights whatsoever into the ceiling, only 2 in the beam framing under the MLV.

Columns are gone - good story there.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2016, 11:08 pm »
I removed all the loose insulation along the cap plate and replaced with 2" thick OC pink foam:

Then I glued 3/4 inch plywood to the concrete floor for the speakers to sit on. This anchors them solidly to the earth.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2016, 01:42 am »
A 3 x 4 foot pad for each speaker to accommodate whatever the future may bring.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2016, 01:45 am »
Then OC pink fanfold insulating foam at 1/4 inch under 9/16 OSB everywhere else...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2016, 02:20 am »
What's the intended purpose for the fan fold insulation?

(We put something called Insultarp under our entire basement slab that is equivalent to 2 inches of styrofoam (the only way to achieve a 5 star EPA energy rating).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2016, 11:46 am »
Cushion

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 5 Sep 2016, 05:27 pm »
Walls were covered in 1.5 inch OC pink foam insulation before the walls were studded up. That gives an overall R22 wall.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 5 Sep 2016, 05:31 pm »
Framing the walls up is easy with the OSB floor. No hammering into concrete required. Only the occasional nail to flatten out any abnormalities in the OSB laying down here and there.

I used 10 inch long screws to attach the top of the walls to the cap, or top plate of the cement, instead of to the floor joists above. I was trying at every turn to keep the walls detached from the floor above.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2016, 05:33 pm »
You can see how the MLV is above the wall frame so the area of the ceiling is as completely covered and separate from the walls as I could get her.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 5 Sep 2016, 05:39 pm »
The room next door is a basement family room that I wired for Atmos while doing the kitchen above it. I can do 5.1.4 in there now. I added a small kitchenette to it in place of the closet that was in the partially used alcove below the kitchen table before.

I need a finished pic of that area - later.

Back in the 2 channel room, the wall to the family room next door had one layer of 1/2 drywall. I added another layer of 5/8 with greenglue along that wall just for insurance and to not take up too much of floor space I need for this room.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #16 on: 5 Sep 2016, 05:43 pm »
I've had huge successes this weekend completing corner bass traps and another matching feature in the room. Very freaking cool. I was having nightmares I could pull these off and I did. I also put up a 8/10 utility shed on Saturday! No rest for the wicked!!

Can you say +-16 inch deep by 24" wide base traps!!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #17 on: 5 Sep 2016, 05:48 pm »
... Can you say +-16 inch deep by 24" wide base traps!!

Pics or it didn't happen.  :wink:

Quite awesome, Pete!!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #18 on: 5 Sep 2016, 06:41 pm »
Pete,

Nice progress, thanks for the pics.

Are you going to use RSIC clips? Furring hat channels? Single row of studs? Or double row of studs with space between the rows of studs?

How many doors are there entering the room?

How big is the room (when all is said and done) ?

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2016, 08:30 pm by poseidonsvoice »

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 5 Sep 2016, 08:19 pm »
Great build progress and interesting choices made.  All in line with your stated goals of sound transmission prevention verging on sound proofing. 

In my build we were less focused on true sound proofing.  I was not able to use resilient channel for the ceiling and did use pot lights.  IC boxes for them.  Yes their is some sound leakage out of the room but the safe n sound in the joist bays and solid core door at the entrance were all very much worth the effort and cost. 

We used Delta FL and 5/8 t&g plywood for our subfloor.  Warm and dry so far.

Looking like great progress in your room!