The Open!

drphoto

The Open!
« on: 16 Jul 2016, 03:32 pm »
Ah.....Scottish links golf, the game as meant to be played! Yes I guess I'm officially old, watching televised golf now! (well, at least streaming on computer, where you only get limited coverage) I haven't hit a ball all year.

mcgsxr

Re: The Open!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2016, 06:31 pm »
4-5 years ago I used to play 30-50 rounds a year.  Last few years it is down to 4-10 rounds a year.

Watching all the majors every year.

Hoping Phil M gets it done but thinking Stenson has a great shot.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2016, 07:23 pm »
Definitely a see-saw battle. Weather not quite as bad as forecast it appears. Both Phil & Stenson have had their share of collapses, so it's anybody's game between them tomorrow. Nice to see some of the 'old' guys showing the kids how it's done.  :D  We should get to see more of "Beef" tomorrow as well which should be fun. Johnston seems to just be enjoying himself, and who knows with he & Haas in the next to last group, slim odds but not impossible.

Finally got out a couple of weeks back after 15 months off. Had lost my regular playing partner to the Phoenix area a year ago, then a month after that my local 'home' course to development. Game was pretty much the same. Strong/weak in same spots, though all in all not as bad as I'd figured after the layoff. Next week should be interesting, the Senior Open. Hit 'em straight guys & gals.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2016, 03:03 am by ArthurDent »

rodge827

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2016, 07:47 pm »
Haven't played this year and probably won't! :(
I screwed up my left ankle a couple of years ago stepping in an unmarked irrigation key hole. Didn't realize it at the time but...
The Thrill scrambled like crazy today and Stensen was an Ironman. I love links golf, tomorrow will be fun to watch.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2016, 10:56 pm »
I've never seen that Johnston guy before, but I'd love to see some unknown step up and steal the show!  Like that kid whose name I already forgot who was trouncing the field in the US Open, but then became human again. Ah golf, humbles the best.

I love Phil. Apparently a lot of the guys on the tour think he's a dick, but I love the way he interacts with the fans. Did anyone see the clip where he gave a ball to a kid? I dunno the whole story but I think he grew up as a fairly rich kid, (Phil, I mean, not the one who got the gift!) who probably could have lived the easy life. But he's worked his ass off and become one of the games best.

I went to the Ryder when it was at Valhalla in I think '07. Henrik is one big dude. Not quite apparent on TV. Can hit the snot out of it, but he can putt too.  it's hard to appreciate how far these guys hit the ball until you see it in person.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2016, 01:26 pm by drphoto »

BobM

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2016, 11:28 pm »
It's a typical Scottish summer, 60 degrees and windy.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2016, 04:51 pm »
What a show so far!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2016, 05:00 pm »

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2016, 10:32 pm »
Congrats to both players.  They put on an amazing show for the crowd, and I appreciated their good sportsmanship during play.  You could see them congratulating each other on some of those great shots.