Help! $100 for diagnostic to fix dishwasher ??!!

stlrman

Help! $100 for diagnostic to fix dishwasher ??!!
« on: 20 Jun 2016, 10:44 pm »
So GE dishwasher , 5 years old , $100 just to look at it !!, plus labor and parts !!
I can't see spending a minimum of $200 to fix this !?
We spent $180 a couple of years ago , after five visits to fix it !!
Save the money and buy a new unit?
The spinner fell off , water not draining and the soap door explodes soap on inside of unit. So three problems.
Is it time to cut my losses ?
Thanks!!
Todd

audioguy213

Re: Help! $100 for diagnostic to fix dishwasher ??!!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2016, 10:55 pm »
Youtube videos will walk you through the most basic 45 minutes of disassembly, cleaning the easiest bits, checking the easiest things.
At that point you will either have fixed it, or be happy to shell out $100 for a visit.

Most repairmen want $100 to show up, just to make sure you are there, and then it's parts plus labor.

It is often cheaper to replace a dishwasher,
however be mindful that new, cheap dishwashers are made out of plastic (they truly are not nearly as sturdy as those made 10 years ago), so buying a brand new bottom of the line machine may feel like a serious "downgrade" in terms of quality compared to your last unit.

So, while buying new is advisable, try to look for a unit that has good weight to the door and is not made out of only plastic.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2016, 11:21 pm »
In the past year have had to replace washing machine, dryer, and freezer (all 11 - 15 years old).  Had called in the same good/honest service guy and none were worth fixing.  His bill was $75 to diagnose (but we live in the rural midwest where I'd expect costs to be less).

And every salesperson told me that getting more than 10 years of them was good.  Each time I stopped them and pointed out how many appliances and other parts of a house wear out and what the average annual replacement could amount to - not an enjoyable thing to think about.  So we bought basic (no circuit board - less to go wrong) Speed Queen washer and dryer (each rated for 25,000 loads).

It makes you realize that home ownership a very expensive luxury. 

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2016, 11:25 pm »
Thanks Audioguy !! I decided to buy a new unit. I may get a five year warranty.  My unit I have now is stainless inside and out . So I will look to but something of equal "quality" . It's just too screwed up , and I'm not paying $250 on a five year old unit .

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2016, 11:26 pm »
Thanks JLM !! :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2016, 11:31 pm »
I looked at a 48 dB SSteel washer today for $439.   I'd replace it.  4th of July sales are coming in a few days.  Deals will be available. 

stlrman

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2016, 11:36 pm »
Right , good point , waiting for a sale.
What a fair price to put in the new unit . Will Lowes take the old one out ?

audioguy213

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2016, 11:40 pm »
You will do fine, just go to the store and bang on a sample.

I got one that was "stainless steel" in the picture and description, and then literally it was 2 microns of SS plated onto plastic on one side in fact. 

You will be able to tell in two seconds when you flop on the doors - if they weigh ounces vs kilos, and likewise the racks, etc.  Get the heavy one.

stlrman

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2016, 11:46 pm »
Is there a brand that is more reliable ?
Not sure why the weight of the door matters ? The door will not break . Everything else will . Spinning propeller thingy that sprays the top, soap door (tiny) , not draining properly .

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2016, 02:56 am »
I have an Bosch 800 series 18" dishwasher. It works perfectly and even with my open floor plan you can barely hear it washing.
Wayne

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2016, 03:43 am »
+1 Bosch 500. They are built in my state NC! I read JerryM's review last year and ordered mine online from Lowes, picked it up at local store. It's all true, great product. It was cheaper than our old uber Kitchenaide (same as whirlpool) even after 10 years inflation, runs quieter, cleans much better.

Early B.

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2016, 03:57 am »
+1 Bosch 500. They are built in my state NC! I read JerryM's review last year and ordered mine online from Lowes, picked it up at local store. It's all true, great product. It was cheaper than our old uber Kitchenaide (same as whirlpool) even after 10 years inflation, runs quieter, cleans much better.

After lots of research, I bought a Bosch a few weeks ago from Lowes. Very pleased with the purchase. It's amazing how quiet it runs.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2016, 09:17 am »
I have a 15 (almost 16) year old Asko dishwasher that has never needed repair. Expensive but a good long term investment.

I bought a Bosch for one of my rentals 2 years ago for $650 from Best Buy. Runs quietly, looks beautiful and has an excellent reputation. Best Buy delivered for free and took the old one away. Installation is easy. They will sell you an install kit for about $30. If you don't want to tackle installation, any plumber will.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2016, 01:31 pm »
I have a 10 year old Maytag that cleans the heck out of dishes. We no longer waste time cleaning dishes before putting them in there other than to get the excess food off. My dad was watching me load dishes the other day and asked, "aren't you going to clean those first?"

If this one dies however, I'm getting a Bosch. My daughter recently bought one and man is that thing quiet.
Also, I purchased a new Maytag washing machine two years ago. What a piece of crap. Thank Maytag execs for ruining a great brand with $hitty parts. No more Maytag for me.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jun 2016, 03:11 pm »
This is the advice a repairman, who has nothing to do with new sales, gave me. Repair once. Replace the second time it breaks.

Doc

werd

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jun 2016, 03:17 pm »
My recently purchased Frigidaire has dish holders that are starting to deteriorate. Dishes will not remain up right since the plastic is gone. Pile of junk really. Probably get a Bosch next time. Seems like everybody likes theirs.

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jun 2016, 03:28 pm »
Thanks Audioguy !! I decided to buy a new unit. I may get a five year warranty.  My unit I have now is stainless inside and out . So I will look to but something of equal "quality" . It's just too screwed up , and I'm not paying $250 on a five year old unit .

What we have going on here is bad designing, bad material sourcing (i.e. motors, switches, etc.). Most units sold now have barely a 2 year warranty. If it breaks, don't call the repair man, go buy a new one and have the old one taken away. Get used to it, its only going to get worse.........

Last year and the early part of this year I have replaced a washer, a dryer, a kitchen stove (now stove should have a 50 amp service), a refrigerator, a beer refrigerator and a humidifier. 4 of the units were fairly old Whirlpool (stove and fridge) bought when I built my house (that makes them 23 years old), but the washer and dryer were barely 12 years old, the beer fridge was 3 years old (Kenmore) and the dehumidifier was 3 years old (also a Kenmore).

New stuff is a mixture of Whirlpool and KitchenAid. We shall see how that pans out.

Oh, and I had to fix an air leak on my Hoover vacuum cleaner today. Apparently, Hoover has forgotten how to design vacuums.......

Kind of pissed off myself. Lets just say that Kenmore is off the list.

'ner

dolsey01

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jun 2016, 03:42 pm »
My 5 year old KitchenAid dishwasher just had the control panel go out, fortunately it was a $150 DIY fix.  Our French Door KitchenAid refrigerator needs all new door seals as well.   I've been putting that off as it looks to be a pain and the parts are another $200.  A glass panel on our KitchenAid range spontaneously combusted the other day, another $150.  Our 6 year old Frigidaire over the range microwave sometimes turns on by itself when you close the door.  I feel like the life span of appliances has gone from 10-15 years to 5-10 years.  My 13 year Kenmore washer and dryer are both starting to exhibit problems, just replaced the door switch in the dryer and the clutch in the washer is going.  Since they were less than $10 parts, I'll keep them until something major breaks as I'm afraid their replacements won't last nearly as long. 

I also noticed the GE repair van at my neighbors house almost bi-monthly. 

Oh, I forgot about the de-humidifer in my basement that never seems to last more than a few months after the manufacture warranty is out.  I'm on my third one in 6 years. 

Don_S

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jun 2016, 03:47 pm »
I rarely use my dishwasher especially since I replaced my ancient Whirlpool with a Maytag.  The Whirlpool held tons of dishes.  The Maytag has such poorly designed racks I can only get a few of my dishes to fit at a time without banging against each other. Beware the pitfalls of "new".  There are hidden issues that don't appear until after you try to use the new appliance.

On a side note, I hate the new "driverless" washing machines that are all automatic.  No ability to set load size, the machine does it for you by weight and locks the lid so you can't add the dropped sock without knowing the secret password.