Need advice regarding indoor painting

Nick B

Need advice regarding indoor painting
« on: 5 Jun 2016, 10:52 pm »
After putting lots of paint samples on the walls, we decided to just use two colors. The walls will be a light caramel/beige color in a satin finish. We would also like to use that satin finish for two ceilings that have soffit
surrounds...hope that's the right terminology. The doors, baseboards and remainder of the ceilings will be in a light beige in a semi-gloss finish.

1) is it ok to use a semi gloss on a ceiling? I've never done it
2) assuming using a semi gloss is ok, can I get away with using the satin wall finish within the ceiling soffits?

I have never used a satin and semi gloss together like that. I am trying to avoid having to calculate and buy a semi gloss in the caramel finish

Thanks,
Nick

syzygy

Re: Need advice regarding indoor painting
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:06 pm »
Flat or satin for ceilings is what I use and specify for clients. I would not want semi-gloss on the ceiling. It would accent flaws as well as possibly making the ceiling feel lower.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:34 pm »
Flat or satin for ceilings is what I use and specify for clients. I would not want semi-gloss on the ceiling. It would accent flaws as well as possibly making the ceiling feel lower.

+1!  Don't ask me how I know.....    :duh:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:53 pm »

Agreed. I use flat or egg shell on ceilings. Semi-gloss will tend to create glare or reflections where you don't want them. I'm not a professional, but I do all the painting in my house and four rentals, so I've got a bit of experience - and I've made my share of mistakes.  :duh:

TJHUB

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:58 pm »
I ONLY use eggshell on walls and ceilings, and satin for doors and trim. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2016, 11:59 pm »
I ONLY use eggshell on walls and ceilings, and satin for doors and trim.

That's the direction I've gone.  Looks great!

Nick B

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2016, 12:13 am »
Thanks all. No semi gloss on the ceiling. I've already started with the satin on the walls, so I don't want to start over with an egg shell. It looks quite good so far, but a couple of small areas that are a little noticeable if you focus on it or know where to look. Not a big deal to me or my wife. Since ve got satin on the walls, I presume a semi gloss on the trim would be fine. I've used it before, but never a high gloss. I'll probably go eggshell on the ceilings
Nick

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2016, 02:06 am »
Nick, I'm a house painter in Maine. I use semi-gloss white on ceilings, bathroom ceilings. Anywhere else would be flat or second choice would be egg shell. You can't wash flat paint very well. In bathrooms where moisture happens mold will happen. The easier way to control it is a spray of Clorox and water, 50/50 mix on a long handled Swifter on the semigloss ceiling surface. You can't do it very well with flat paint. Eggshell falls between the 2
   If you look at the surface of flat paint with a microscope you see a much bumpier surface than shiny paints thus holding more dirt and mold.
   Another thing I talk people out of is wall papering a bathroom. Why, the answer is simple. The easiest way to take wall paper off is steam and who doesn't like a steamy shower. Mold sucks but can be controlled...Mark Korda

Nick B

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2016, 04:47 am »
Thanks, Mark, for the different perspective. I will do some samples of the different sheens on the ceilings and live with them for a few days.

drummermitchell

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2016, 01:42 pm »
I wouldn't use semigloss on a ceiling  as it WILL SHOW all the flaws as it's like looking in a mirror it magnifies everything.
Our washroom is a flat white which hides imperfections no problems with mildew ect.
If the ceiling is a semigloss and your walls are an eggshell,it won't look good at all.
Totally two different sheens on large surfaces.