What happened to Balanced Power Technologies?

Cltn2080

What happened to Balanced Power Technologies?
« on: 18 Mar 2016, 10:18 pm »
Hi,

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I'm posting this here because I don't know where else to look for information on this and thought someone here might have some insight or recommendations.

For the past year or so I've been planning on purchasing a Balanced Power Technologies BP-1 Ultra Isolation Transformer in order to deal with some noise interference problems I'm experiencing in my home and audio system. It now looks like the BPT website is down and the contact info (at least the phone number) is no longer valid. I'm wondering if anyone here:

A) has any knowledge about what happened to this company or who I might get into contact with to find out more
B) knows of any other similarly priced ($1200) isolation transformer type power conditioners that might work similarly well primarily for power line noise reduction purposes

Any info or suggestions anyone has to offer regarding this would be hugely appreciated.

srb

Re: What happened to Balanced Power Technologies?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2016, 10:28 pm »
The website URL resolves to a comingsoon.html page, so maybe a new website is in progress, although it's customary to provide a small blurb to say what's going on.  According to Whois, the domain registration is not due to expire until 12-18-2016.

Per the registration page, you might want to try and contact Christopher Hoff at the phone number or email provided, unless that's the contact info you've already unsuccessfully tried.

http://www.whois.com/whois/b-p-t.com

Steve

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2016, 03:43 am »
Chris Hoff's e-mail address at least was contact@b-p-t.com .  My last contact with him was this time last year (2015) when I took delivery of my BP-3.5 Ultra...
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=132127.msg1398890#msg1398890
and
http://s89.photobucket.com/user/jeffreybehr/library/Power%20condtioners/Balanced%20Power%20Technologies%20BP%203%205%20Ultra?sort=3&page=1

Address was 708 Wheatfield Ridge Ct, Defiance, MO 63341.

I hope you find him.

FWIW, I still love mine and the audible results from mine--my system has never been quieter.  It and the power from it have been absolutely trouble-free and noneventful.

Cltn2080

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2016, 11:58 pm »
Thanks a lot everyone for the replies. It looks like there's one other possible contact number for Chris listed on the Whois page to try.

I'm also now wondering whether I should just buy the ZenWave Audio SurgeX SX-1120. It looks like a quality product but there doesn't seem to be an abundance of information about it, especially in the way of detailed listening comparisons with other conditioners. To be honest, I don't really understand the electronics well enough to fully appreciate how the design differences between these conditioners might translate to performance. I'm mostly just going on general information about different conditioner types combined with various peoples' anecdotal impressions with specific units. This is what led me to the conclusion a year ago that the BPT conditioner was my best bet.

I'm curious what is it about the ZenWave that makes it the ultimate power conditioner? Should I expect that it will eliminate noise from the power line as effectively as something using a big toroidal transformer?

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2016, 12:27 am »
I'm also now wondering whether I should just buy the ZenWave Audio SurgeX SX-1120. It looks like a quality product but there doesn't seem to be an abundance of information about it, especially in the way of detailed listening comparisons with other conditioners. To be honest, I don't really understand the electronics well enough to fully appreciate how the design differences between these conditioners might translate to performance. I'm mostly just going on general information about different conditioner types combined with various peoples' anecdotal impressions with specific units. This is what led me to the conclusion a year ago that the BPT conditioner was my best bet.

I'm curious what is it about the ZenWave that makes it the ultimate power conditioner? Should I expect that it will eliminate noise from the power line as effectively as something using a big toroidal transformer?

I have a modded SurgeX from ZenWave and love it. I used to own a transformer-based BPT with upgraded caps and the Zenwave just blows it away in terms of sound quality. Plus, the SurgeX has superior surge protection than just about anything else on the market. Another vitally important factor with ZenWave is that Dave, the proprietor of ZenWave, is a major contributor on this forum and you'll receive exceptional customer service.

You're right -- your purchasing decision will basically be determined by anecdotal impressions. That's usually all you've got to work with. The good thing is that you can learn from other people's expensive experiences with trading out gear and comparing them to one another. 

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2016, 01:13 am »
Chris is still around, but had a major life event that impacted business.  He asked me not to say anything so I won't, but I do believe he plans to resume operations in the near future. 

Ern Dog

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2016, 04:35 am »
I have a modded SurgeX from ZenWave and love it. I used to own a transformer-based BPT with upgraded caps and the Zenwave just blows it away in terms of sound quality. Plus, the SurgeX has superior surge protection than just about anything else on the market. Another vitally important factor with ZenWave is that Dave, the proprietor of ZenWave, is a major contributor on this forum and you'll receive exceptional customer service.

Hey Brad,
If I remember right, I thought you had a Pi Uberbuss.  How does it compare with the SurgeX?"

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2016, 06:13 am »
Hey Brad,
If I remember right, I thought you had a Pi Uberbuss.  How does it compare with the SurgeX?"

I have both. I run them in tandem since the Uber doesn't have surge protection, so I never considered comparing them.

Ern Dog

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2016, 03:11 pm »
I have both. I run them in tandem since the Uber doesn't have surge protection, so I never considered comparing them.

Did you notice any sonic improvement when you added the SurgeX?

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2016, 09:29 pm »
Did you notice any sonic improvement when you added the SurgeX?

YES!

I wasn't expecting the SurgeX to provide any improvement in sound, but it did. More clarity, detail, yada, yada. I was stunned. The SurgeX in front of the Uber and MiniBuss makes everything sound better.  For my system, the effect has been cumulative -- the more filtering I add, the better it gets.

If I could start all over again, I would only use a heavily tricked out SurgeX with GTX rhodium outlets, just like the one currently listed on audiogon. Nevertheless, I think there's a lot of benefit to having multiple conditioning, but it's costly.

Ern Dog

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2016, 10:15 pm »
YES!

I wasn't expecting the SurgeX to provide any improvement in sound, but it did. More clarity, detail, yada, yada. I was stunned. The SurgeX in front of the Uber and MiniBuss makes everything sound better.  For my system, the effect has been cumulative -- the more filtering I add, the better it gets.

If I could start all over again, I would only use a heavily tricked out SurgeX with GTX rhodium outlets, just like the one currently listed on audiogon. Nevertheless, I think there's a lot of benefit to having multiple conditioning, but it's costly.

Good to know.  Thanks for the info.

Are you still loving the Rick Schultz magnetic IC's or have you found something else?

Early B.

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2016, 10:30 pm »
Are you still loving the Rick Schultz magnetic IC's or have you found something else?

High Fidelity cables are the best I've ever heard, and I only have one set of their entry level cables. I'd love to buy a pair of their higher level IC's, but a used set costs over a grand. :o

audioseduction

« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2016, 02:41 am »
So, what has become of Chris nowadays?