Furutech GTX

Folsom

Re: Furutech GTX
« Reply #40 on: 19 Aug 2015, 01:13 am »
Low grip is bad if it provides any gaps, even very small. It means carbon build up and increased resistance. The high end finishes will be more resistant to this, but I'd like for it to at least have a healthy grip.

robin67

« Reply #41 on: 20 Aug 2015, 02:14 pm »
I started with just a GTX (R) in the wall feeding the Uberbuss with a Mongo III Power cable fitted with a FI50 (R)  Last week I added a GTX (R) to the Ubberbuss . This morning I switched back over to Gold and it sounded outright boring what a difference . Im going to finsh up the Uberbuss with all GTX (R)

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #42 on: 20 Aug 2015, 02:21 pm »
I started with just a GTX (R) in the wall feeding the Uberbuss with a Mongo III Power cable fitted with a FI50 (R)  Last week I added a GTX (R) to the Ubberbuss . This morning I switched back over to Gold and it sounded outright boring what a difference . Im going to finsh up the Uberbuss with all GTX (R)

Thanks for sharing. I really liked what the Rhodium did and decided to go all out on the Uber with them. Superb sound...all the detail while being non fatiguing.

mdconnelly

« Reply #43 on: 24 Aug 2015, 06:56 pm »
I replaced a hospital-grade outlet in the wall with a GTX(R) on Friday (in front of the Uber) and couldn't help but listen.   It sounded sublime!  Increased detail yet a relaxed and high-musical soundstage.  To be honest, I was surprised it sounded so good right from the start.   Fortunately, I have been paying attention here because ever since that first night there have definitely been WTF moments where it just sounded off - almost like certain frequencies had been filtered out (or others accentuated).   

My brain really wrestles with the concept that a simple (albeit expensive) electrical outlet can have such an impact.  But I'm confident it will improve over the next few days. 

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 24 Aug 2015, 07:54 pm »
It is pretty common for power cables, speaker cables, interconnects to sound great after first installed. Sounds like the same applies to the Recepts. Then they go crazy for a spell, then get better, and better, and better.

I missed listening to the GTX-(R) right after install as I had it cooking for a day before I listened. I can now say that this recept is the bomb!

The Antipodes Reference Interconnects and Speaker Cables were the most brutal burn in I ever went through with a cable, but after many weeks, I believe a couple months, they became the absolute best I have heard. They went from good to horrible, to ok, to weird, to good days bad days, and eventually opened up and sounded correct and AMAZING  :) They have been in my system for a couple years now, and I haven't beaten them yet.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #45 on: 24 Aug 2015, 08:42 pm »
What's yours guys' take on burn in of equipment? I've always just left the system on and playing music when trying to get a new piece to settle in but I've heard others say it's good to turn off the amp or dac or whatever your burning in a chance to cool down for a day or two and then start up with another series of running. I know it's too hard to do this with receptacles but any thoughts on equipment while were waiting for these GTX-D's to burn in...

genjamon

« Reply #46 on: 24 Aug 2015, 10:48 pm »
GTX-R's in my Uber took it to an entirely other level.  A GTX-R in my wall was just icing on the cake.  I thought the FI-50 connectors on power cables had done the trick for me in bringing the highest quality power my grid will support, but they just ended up making the outlet changes quite transparent and valuable. 

Sometimes removing all the smoke in the room just reveals the veil hanging on the stage between you and the performers.  Then you remove the veil, and find all the performers are wearing fuzzy costumes and the horn section all has bits of foam in the horns.  Then you kindly ask them how much it will cost for them to take off the costumes and remove the foam, and they just laugh and tell you if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it...  :duh:

mcbuddah

« Reply #47 on: 25 Aug 2015, 11:13 pm »
Well, I got a GTX (R) from Dave yesterday (thank you very much, sir) and it sure is pretty. I went to install it right away and then discovered that with its little sliding doors on the sides that it won't fit in the single duplex box in my wall. I think I need to clear out some of the drywall around the old one and replace it - a nasty little project I am putting off until the weekend. In the mean time, I have it wired and suspended near the wall from the 4 12 gage wires that formerly fed a Maestro. I did also install the Maestro cover plate and taped the assembly to the outlet cover with Mapleshade damping clear tape to reduce airborne vibration until I can firm it up. 

I have let it run for 24 hours with the following components drawing juice:

Ps-Audio PPP connected by Kaplan GS Mk2 power cord
    Oppo BD95 disc player (Synergistics Master Coupler X2 active PC)
    Thor 3000   tube phono stage (Waveform Fidelity GS3)
    D-Sonic 600w monoblock amps (Waveform Fidelity HE Mk 3)
    Wyred4Sound STP-SE preamp
    VPI SDS (Acoustic Zen tunami) feeding a SSM Reference (2-motor belt-driven flywheel) 
    Genesis 6.1 500 w. class d bass amps and servo unit - TWL 10+ power cords

I have the following observations about the Furutech outlet while burning in:

1)  First hour: bright, very bright.  Soundstage is reduced to a small trapezoidal space totally between the speakers. No deep bass. Timbre is also a victim. Playing LP by the Nylons. Cannot figure out what instrument is playing a continuous unintelligible sound in perfect time with the tune. Focus on trying to at least determine what instrument group is making it. Turns out to be the baritone singer!

2)  5 hours - brightness and haze are gone. Stage is growing a little. Bass is still wimpy. Vocals now clear enough to recognize as part of the "winds" group of instruments.

3) 10 hours - brightness has gone completely. Detail reproduction is becoming a strong suit. Stage has become wider with some improvement in depth but little in height

4) 18 hours - (after running continuous loop over night) - timbre problem reduced significantly, but still not as neutral as the Maestro. Soundstage is becoming respectable - but still has a long way to go to equal the Maestro; before swap it was spooky-good. - Speakers can disappear again with better recordings.

I know it's going to take a while and I will not lose faith. I actually kept faith that I could get a pair of b-stock Class D amps to sound good in a system that had run Atma-Spheres for 20 years.  I suspect that when the burn-in is over that this receptacle will give me a better detail presentation with no loss of clarity in the mid and low bass regions. I have been battling the speakers since I bought them in February, and have thrown both time and treasure at their introduction to my system and only got them to sound respectable a week ago with the substitution of the Kaplan cord for the PS-Audio Premier Sc coming from the wall. This followed a new rack, major cable upgrades throughout the system, NOS tubes in the phono stage, a new super-wide audio rack, new room location, fully groomed wires and contacts, outriggers, and a boatload of Herbie's stuff, so I can't credit this as the magic tweek to end all tweeks, but it did put it over the top. Now, I patiently wait to see what comes next...

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 25 Aug 2015, 11:53 pm »
Sounds about right to me. Mine has developed a bit of a tizzy character now that should go away. Roller Coaster continued :)