UberBuss verses ?

gagamut

Re: UberBuss verses ?
« Reply #60 on: 22 Jun 2015, 10:51 am »
i bought the Uberbuss recently,i want to say it's really great product.but if you want to know  how good is Uberbuss,just order. :D

jhm731

« Reply #61 on: 22 Jun 2015, 07:53 pm »
I'm glad everyone enjoyed the video.

Just got a new free AC power upgrade:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #62 on: 22 Jun 2015, 08:29 pm »
I'm glad everyone enjoyed the video.

Just got a new free AC power upgrade:

I'm never supposed, but constantly amazed at audio shows and the audio jargoneze...

Cool old piece.  We have some good surplus sources here in New Mexico.  We have a couple in ABQ, but this one takes the cake, especially if you are looking for nuclear trigger wiring harnesses or other "I wonder what... ?"

When I has a kid Sandia Labs Salvage was a great source for me.  I used to buy JBL 375 HF drivers with blown voice coils for $5.00 ea.  A lot of local Pas here had 375's in their FOH stacks.

jhm731

« Reply #63 on: 22 Jun 2015, 08:36 pm »
I'm never supposed, but constantly mazed at audio shows and the audio jargoneze...

Cool old piece.  We have some good surplus sources here in New Mexico.  We have a couple in ABQ, but this one takes the cake, especially if you are looking for nuclear trigger wiring harnesses or other "I wonder what... ?"

When I has a kid Sandia Labs Salvage was a great source for me.  I used to buy JBL 375 HF drivers with blown voice coils for $5.00 ea.  A lot of local Pas here had 375's in their FOH stacks.

It's a brand new transformer that Maui Electric installed last week to replace the 30 year unit that had been serving our block.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #64 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:19 pm »
It's a brand new transformer that Maui Electric installed last week to replace the 30 year unit that had been serving our block.
Ahhhh..so.  I looked at the connectors, not the case.  My bad.  Dirt just makes things look old somehow.

Question, perhaps for another topic about local power generation and distribution. What is the power like in Hawaii?  I'm curious about AC quality and quantity as well as how it is produced.  I would assume it to be primarily fossil fuels with a considerable renewable energy input.  From what I take it geothermal would be very difficult there even though it seems to be an obvious choice to the layman.

jhm731

« Reply #65 on: 22 Jun 2015, 09:40 pm »
Ahhhh..so.  I looked at the connectors, not the case.  My bad.  Dirt just makes things look old somehow.

Question, perhaps for another topic about local power generation and distribution. What is the power like in Hawaii?  I'm curious about AC quality and quantity as well as how it is produced.  I would assume it to be primarily fossil fuels with a considerable renewable energy input.  From what I take it geothermal would be very difficult there even though it seems to be an obvious choice to the layman.

See:

http://www.hawaiianelectric.com/heco/Clean-Energy/Latest-Clean-Energy-News/About-Our-Fuel-Mix

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC

jhm731

« Reply #67 on: 23 Jun 2015, 03:57 am »
Thanks.  I'll use my imagination for the quality.

I've tried lots of different power conditioners and none of them made much of an improvement, so I guess the quality in my area must be pretty good. My 200 amp sevice is about 75 feet from the transformer.

I did hear a nice improvement when I upgraded the dedicated 20 amp outlets in my listening room to Furutech GTX-Ds.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #68 on: 24 Jun 2015, 09:09 pm »
I've tried lots of different power conditioners and none of them made much of an improvement, so I guess the quality in my area must be pretty good. My 200 amp sevice is about 75 feet from the transformer.

I did hear a nice improvement when I upgraded the dedicated 20 amp outlets in my listening room to Furutech GTX-Ds.
Yup, the GTX-D receptacles are special.

Since you appear to have underground utilities consider yourself blessed in the transmission dept.  About 90% of the grid here is above ground with about 2 gazillion watts of RFI here with all of the repeaters, antennae on Sandia Crest, Sandia National Labs here, cell towers, etc.

You just need to try the right conditioner  :)

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #69 on: 24 Jun 2015, 09:19 pm »
Hey Dave, can the standard receptacles in the Uber be replaced by some Furutechs without too much hassle or is it something you would have to do?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #70 on: 24 Jun 2015, 09:27 pm »
Hey Dave, can the standard receptacles in the Uber be replaced by some Furutechs without too much hassle or is it something you would have to do?
Not a big issue to change receptacles in the BUSSes as long as you use reasonable care in dealing with it like you would any other high energy AC device.  There are bleeder and safety resistors throughout the enclosure.  They will bleed the PFC network relatively quickly.  However, to avoid any potential for a shock do this:

Unplug the BUSS and let it sit unenergized for 10 minutes!

Other than that is just a straight swap of the wiring and the Final Filters on each receptacle. some may look different from each other depending upon specific application.  Just remember which receptacle space had what Final Filter and you are good to go.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #71 on: 25 Jun 2015, 03:03 am »
Bleeder on an AC system?

tarquineous

« Reply #72 on: 25 Jun 2015, 04:49 am »
Build something that works and we can afford $1500-2000 max. $500.00 would be ever better.
I'm not about to drop multi thousand dollars on a power conditioner. I'd rather put the money in the better preamp or amp.
Even a bi-amp crossover. Power conditioners should cost $500.00 or put your money. I ain't about to put 1000$ dollars in to
a power conditioner. I'd rather put money into better source equipme

I understand the benefit of power conditioning, I'd just rather put my money into better equipment If power conditioning was only #500.00 bucks Id not it.
Not all of us are rich.

For $500.00 plus change, you can buy a Furman Power Factor 1500. These were originally made to improve the sound of guitar amplifiers. I have one, and it works very well, especially on tubed equipment. Also well on solid state amplifiers. I use it in my smaller system on a Triode amp.

I use an Uberbuss in my high end system. I plug a Synergistic Powercell 10SE into it, and use this combination mainly for source components. I have considered getting another Uberbuss just for the amplifiers. I prefer the Uberbus alone for amplifiers, without the Powercell, but for source components the Powercell 10SE allows more background detail and a more complete soundstage.

Both the Furman and the Uberbuss give better weight to the music and sounds. The Uberbuss by comparison is a little cleaner sounding. Some may call it a purer sound or less colored.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #73 on: 25 Jun 2015, 04:57 am »
Bleeder on an AC system?
Yep, it becomes a DC system as soon as it is unplugged.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #74 on: 25 Jun 2015, 09:34 pm »
So it had about 8 milliseconds to become a DC system and it takes 10 minutes to discharge?
And yes, capacitors in high voltage DC supplies are deadly, even long after the equipment has been turned off.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #75 on: 25 Jun 2015, 10:35 pm »
So it had about 8 milliseconds to become a DC system and it takes 10 minutes to discharge?
And yes, capacitors in high voltage DC supplies are deadly, even long after the equipment has been turned off.
Nope.  It discharges in seconds.  This is, however, an imperfect world.  Telling someone to wait 10 minutes is only reasonable.  They can get a cup of coffee a coke or or whatever before opening the BUSS up. 

I watched a semiconductor co-worker get hit with very low current at ~ 100kV from a capacitor bank that failed to discharge due to a bad resistor.  Ain't pretty.

Even people that should know better get bit...  :scratch:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #76 on: 29 Jun 2015, 04:55 pm »
Not a big issue to change receptacles in the BUSSes as long as you use reasonable care in dealing with it like you would any other high energy AC device.  There are bleeder and safety resistors throughout the enclosure.  They will bleed the PFC network relatively quickly.  However, to avoid any potential for a shock do this:

Unplug the BUSS and let it sit unenergized for 10 minutes!

Other than that is just a straight swap of the wiring and the Final Filters on each receptacle. some may look different from each other depending upon specific application.  Just remember which receptacle space had what Final Filter and you are good to go.

Well I replaced the stock P&S 5362a receptacles over the weekend with some Furutech GTX-D with Rhodium and everything went pretty smooth except for trying to put the plate back on. I guess the Furutech's are a little wide and had to take off one of the sliding guards on the side to make the plate fit but all in all pretty easy peasy.

I got to say as good as the 5362a's were the Furutech's are really something else...noise floor dropped even more and some of the harshness or glare I used to hear on certain tracks and music just disappeared. Really nice detail and presence. Why a receptacle can make such a difference is beyond me but I like what I hear.

The Furutech's also seem to grab and hold the plugs a lot better. All my plugs are the Furutech F1-50's and they're a little heavy and robust and would be a little loose before but the GTX-D's seem to really keep them in place without a budge. Very highly recommended. A little costly but I'm glad I decided to do it.

Thanks Dave for the encouragement!

-Tom

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #77 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:19 pm »
Well I replaced the stock P&S 5362a receptacles over the weekend with some Furutech GTX-D with Rhodium and everything went pretty smooth except for trying to put the plate back on. I guess the Furutech's are a little wide and had to take off one of the sliding guards on the side to make the plate fit but all in all pretty easy peasy.

I got to say as good as the 5362a's were the Furutech's are really something else...noise floor dropped even more and some of the harshness or glare I used to hear on certain tracks and music just disappeared. Really nice detail and presence. Why a receptacle can make such a difference is beyond me but I like what I hear.

The Furutech's also seem to grab and hold the plugs a lot better. All my plugs are the Furutech F1-50's and they're a little heavy and robust and would be a little loose before but the GTX-D's seem to really keep them in place without a budge. Very highly recommended. A little costly but I'm glad I decided to do it.

Thanks Dave for the encouragement!

-Tom
My pleasure.  As long as electricity is treated with the respect it deserves all is well.. usually. 8)

I'll be the first person to tell you how much I don't like rhodium - on interconnects.  Electrical (AC) connections are different.  Even with rhodium (or perhaps, because) rhodium is such a crappy conductor it can work wonders on audio gear in the power department.  If you have a system that just needs "more", rhodium might just be the magic bullet.

Let us know how it develops.  Rhodium is notorious for taking a long time to break in.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #78 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:23 pm »
Let us know how it develops.  Rhodium is notorious for taking a long time to break in.

Definitely!

And for those who are always wanting to know what Dave has inside his little black box, I found this.... :lol:

Early B.

« Reply #79 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:37 pm »
I'll be the first person to tell you how much I don't like rhodium - on interconnects.  Electrical (AC) connections are different.  Even with rhodium (or perhaps, because) rhodium is such a crappy conductor it can work wonders on audio gear in the power department.  If you have a system that just needs "more", rhodium might just be the magic bullet.

Does anyone know the sonic differences between the Furutech rhodium vs. gold plated copper version?