Keelin tour stop #1

MaxCast

Keelin tour stop #1
« on: 15 Sep 2004, 02:00 am »
Hi all.  A big thanks to Mike for getting speakers out for us all to listen to.  There is nothing like auditioning in your own home.  No matter what anyone writes about any product try to listen to it in your own home.  If your looking for speakers of this type, get on the list and check them out.

Mike made a shipping carton out of plywood and packed the speakers  inside styro-board stuff.  Then glued and screwed it all up.....very sturdy.

After I unpacked the speakers I had a good look at Mikes work.  The wood grain on the veneer job was great it lined up very well all around the speaker save the bottom.  Knuckle test was solid and fit and finish was great.  I set them up on my custom made speaker stands and found they were at perfect height.  The tweeter was 33" from the floor the same as my ear when seated with a slight kick back.  I think I would prefer a rounded baffle.

The system for this demo consisted of either an Adcom changer into a Snixon TubeDac or the Pioneer 563 universal player for SACD/DVD-A.  A 4play tube preamp and a Stratos amp added the gain to the Keelins.

I started out listening to Boulder Cable's demo disc.  Wayne came up with a nice group of songs that I listen to on a regular basis, thanks Wayne.   I immediately noticed a difference in the high-to-mid area compared to my norh SM6.9’s.  I started with the speakers pointed just behind my head.  Throughout my demo I tried different positions but kept going back to just behind the head.  The speakers pretty much do where they are pointed.  Straight ahead = wider stage less focused imaging/diffused center, at you = lesser stage and image but mids speaking right to you.  The best position for me was slightly behind my head.  The sweet spot was very wide as I could sit on the couch in font of the left speaker and still feel very much involved with the music.  Nothing beats the center so back I went.

What I like about these speakers so much is the lower treble and the upper midrange.  Right in the xo region.  “Walking my Baby Back Home” on one of the MapleShades CD’s sounded fantastic.  Rich, warm vocals and sax that sounded even more real than I was accustomed to.  Piano and acoustic guitar also excelled on these speakers.  The tweeter is sweet, never sour and clear, never ssssssibilant.

As my demo neared the end I delayed it a day cause I didn’t want to put them back in the box, but I must pass them on the next for the next demo.  

Thanks Mike and Shamrock Audio for the demo.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Keelin tour stop #1
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2004, 03:28 am »
There is nothing like auditioning in your own home. No matter what anyone writes about any product try to listen to it in your own home.
You got that right Maxcast !! Best demo's are in one's system. :)
Mike made a shipping carton out of plywood and packed the speakers inside styro-board stuff. Then glued and screwed it all up.....very sturdy.
Thats the way Mike ships his speakers......one strong wood case !! Considering how shippers handle packages now, the wood crate really protects the speakers.
    Nice to hear you enjoyed the Keelin's !! :D [/list:u]

MaxCast

Keelin tour stop #1
« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2004, 10:18 am »
I think I remember him telling me that.  I had to call him twice to make sure I wasn't going to demolish the carton trying to open it. :D

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention.  Future auditioners:  please check the double bags the speakers are in and replace them if necessary.  The taping and opening of the bags gives them about 2-3 shipments life.  The bags are necessary for moisture and debris.

jackman

Keelin tour stop #1
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2004, 03:28 pm »
Very cool!  Does anyone know how I can get on the list?  I've been lurking around the Shamrock board on this site and have followed Merle's comments and have communicated with Merle off line about these.  They look like very cool and reasonably priced speakers.  

Please let me know how I can get on the list.  I'm in Chicago and hopefully these haven't traveled out of the midwest yet.  Even better, please let me know if anyone in Chicago will be auditioning these.  Save me from having to ship them out!

Thanks,
Jack

MaxCast

Keelin tour stop #1
« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2004, 04:11 pm »
Awh, shit.  You could have come over to my place and brought your 1801's.  I'd love to hear those too.  

I doubt Mike will have a problem getting you on the list, but it may be towards the end.  They are headed down the East coast right now.  There are 9 on the list (2 are over) and it looks like they will be in MO before going west.

Ping Mike.

jackman

Keelin tour stop #1
« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2004, 04:42 pm »
I would love to bring the 1801's over but it won't be for a couple weeks.  I have too much work around the house.  Also have a pair of DIY speakers Dennis Murphy put together with Morel MD29 tweets and 5 inch Hivi F6 *yellow!* woofers.  They are very compact and sound good.  I wish I didn't have all this stuff around here to do (work!) because I'd rather be playing with audio gear and listening to music!

Cheers,
J

imrer

jackman, just contact mike at shamrock
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2004, 05:02 am »
You could probably PM him here, or give him a call.  Probably wouldn't be too difficult to arrange to get the speakers to Chicago.  Maybe he knows of someone with whom you could share the audition and split the shipping fees.

Mike makes darn good speakers.  Definitely worth a listen.

Quote from: jackman
Please let me know how I can get on the list.  I'm in Chicago and hopefully these haven't traveled out of the midwest yet.  Even better, please let me know if anyone in Chicago will be auditioning these.  Save me from having to ship them out!

Carlman

Keelin tour stop #1
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2004, 02:42 am »
Where are the Keelins at the moment?  Just wondering whether to have the engraver put their names on the invitation to the 'shoot-out' I'm hosting on the 25th. ;)

Thanks,
Carl

nature boy

Keelin tour stop #1
« Reply #8 on: 22 Sep 2004, 09:54 pm »
Carlman, not sure where they are, but I just got put on the list.  Looking forward to a listen.

NB

ken

Keelin update
« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2004, 11:43 pm »
Hey Carlman;

The Keelins shipped out yesterday via fed ex.  I sent an email out earlier today with the tracking number.   I should have read Maxcast's post earlier about the plastic bag.  I forgot they came in one and threw them out because they ripped peeling the tape off them.  I did put some bubble pack on top for what that's worth.   I  really enjoyed my time with them.  The sound is smooth and open but also detailed.  for $750.00 these are a no brainer for anyone looking for speakers.  I would like to hear these in a shootout against the GR-Research av2's  which are a similar design and also an outstanding speaker for the $ from what I understand.   Happy listening. :D

Ken

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
Keelin tour stop #1
« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2004, 12:06 am »
I still have a standing offer for anyone in the Baltimore/D.C. area who would like to hear the Keelins. My pair is currently hooked up to a Bryston 3B-SST amp and AVA T6 preamp fed from a Sony SACD player. Very nice sound. AC members are welcome to come by for a listen.