Pez coverage Sunday (10-12-14)

Pez

Pez coverage Sunday (10-12-14)
« on: 12 Oct 2014, 04:45 pm »
Hanging out with Rim! Hitting some rooms solo. Not nearly as flashed out as what I do with Tyson. But I will post impressions and photos. Rim will provide entertainment for me but probably not much for you guys.  :P

Any way some stuff is on the way shortly.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Pez coverage Sunday (10-12-14)
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2014, 04:50 pm »
Uh oh.  Cheating on Tyson.   :o

Pez

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2014, 05:09 pm »
Poor guy, Rim and I are not nearly the dynamic duo Tyson and I are. Rim is way too interested in the gear and asking well thought out questions. Totally not my or Tysons style.  :P

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2014, 05:23 pm »

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

Astell and kern

Listened to the AK120 II with the pandora hope 6 and I gotta say they sound pretty damn great. Listened to some Mahler and beck. Both had incredible bass control and smooth highs. I'm really impressed with everything other than the weight and comfort leaves a bit to be desired. They are heavy heavy cans and while the pads are supple the weight still makes them a bit uncomfortable to wear. The AK120II is a sexy looking device too. The one complaint I have about the device is sharp edges. Not really a big deal but you wouldn't want to hold it in hand for extended periods of time.

Overall positive experience!!!!

Pez

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2014, 05:25 pm »
image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

Msb
Setup sounds very three dimensional which means it has great imaging and sound stage. We are listening to Harry Connick jr and its sound buttery smooth and seductive. Very refined sounding without being hi fi sounding.

Listening to some pipe organ piece Avery fluid but lacking the visceral fundamentals associated with big pipe organs. Still buttery smooth and really laid back.

Holly Cole track fro mother album temptation this system lends itself to this type of music. As I said the buttery smoothness really lends itself nicely to Holly's voice.

Pez

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2014, 05:26 pm »
image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

Constellation

Listened to this one a bit yesterday and I really loved it. Really gorgeous top to bottom integration.  The speakers are not much to look at other than being tall and imposing they're not winning any beauty in design awards.

We are listening to Adele right now. Not the best track to test this system out. But it sounds good despite the crap recording.

Now listening to some classical. Wow this is what I loved about this setup yesterday. Amazing scale. Incredible nuance and subtlety defiantly among the best at the show.

Listening to carmina and holy shit that soundstage and imaging is quite possibly the most three dimensional I have heard at the show period. The castanet just reverberates behind the speakers as if it really were a giant concert hall. Really really superb.   

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2014, 05:28 pm »
Just a beautiful melancholy day.
image by -jaspoon187-
Sorry it's a bit blurred.

Pez

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2014, 05:40 pm »
image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

This system just looks amazing. Very surreal and impressive.

Listening to dos Gardenias by Burma vista

The timbre is a bit hot, but still inviting and nice. For a tube system it is not as warm as I like.  More airy and articulate. I'm sure with an SET This system would open up nicely. And with around 100 db sensitivity I see no reason why you would use anything other than an SET.

Listening to some female jazz vocals and its a bit too airy and breathy for my tastes. For horns they don't seem to have any major coloration.

Pez

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2014, 06:02 pm »
image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

Chapman

Minimalist 'I'm a speaker' design betrays the incredible sound these guys are producing. Extraordinary bass and bass control. Epic soundstage and imaging.  Listening to Sinatra and its smooth as hell. The balance of the horns is silvery and never bright or stinging. Really something very special here and given the audience (me) that's saying something.

Pez

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2014, 06:08 pm »
This room is one I'm not going to post too much on. Looks great sound good. But the overall sound just doesn't give me any sort of emotional reaction. Very hifi and proper if that's your thing great.

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

Pez

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2014, 06:23 pm »
Been looking forward to visiting this room all show. I've been watching Mikes progress reports on these speakers with great anticipation.

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

So the sound is absolutely what I would expect from Galusha. Deep soundstage incredible imaging and inky black noise floor. Pinpoint imaging is quite staggering just truly superb sound. Great bass control and remarkable tonal balance top to bottom. The only thing I'm sort of flat on is I feel these speakers would sound damn great with tubes, SET specifically. Not sure if they could swing it or not with a flea powered amp but they make me want to try. That all said I'm quite impressed with the way the ncores are performing in this setup. I really think this system is probably one of the better SS only systems.

Pez

« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2014, 06:38 pm »
Rockin out to Van Halen HOT FOR TEACHER loud as fuck. There's really nothing else to say nor any other way to say it.
WHAT?????

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2014, 08:42 pm »
Those JBL's are simply stunning to lookat!

Glad to hear Mikes speakers sounded good.

SET Man

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2014, 08:47 pm »
Hey!

Damn! Would love to hear those big JBL horned speakers! I've always been fascinated by big JBL horn speakers, never own one but if I had a big place would love to have another system with those in it. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Pez

« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2014, 10:21 pm »
image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

image by -jaspoon187-

Sorry for the delay in review. I'll make this one quick and sweet. Listened to Miles Davis, Johnny Cash, and guns and roses all vinyl. I have never heard texture and air like this ever at RMAF. It's one thing to hear the beauty of the performance it's another thing entirely to feel as though you have a window into the intent of the artist. This is exactly what it felt like listening to Miles Davis doing 'time after time' and just amazed at the ingenuity of how he riffed off of the original song by Cyndi Lauper in ways that were electrifying.  Klaus said the song was 8 minutes. It felt like 2. I was enthralled. I was engaged. I didn't give a shit about anything else in that moment and it's been a tough weekend. Awesome awesome stuff.

bonsai

« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2014, 10:27 pm »
What kind of Cart is that in the last photo of the turntable?

mr_bill

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2014, 11:16 pm »
What  are the components in this system pez?

Pez

« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2014, 12:28 am »
 Sorry you're gonna have to ask Klauscc

vinyl_lady

« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2014, 12:33 am »
What kind of Cart is that in the last photo of the turntable?

It's a Vanden Hul. I believe the model is the Colibri

vinyl_lady

« Reply #19 on: 13 Oct 2014, 12:38 am »
This room is one I'm not going to post too much on. Looks great sound good. But the overall sound just doesn't give me any sort of emotional reaction. Very hifi and proper if that's your thing great.

image by -jaspoon187-

Those are ugly speakers. I don't care how good they sound, I wouldn't want them staring back at me.