Your General RMAF 14 Thoughts?

a.wayne

Re: Your General RMAF 14 Thoughts?
« Reply #40 on: 13 Oct 2014, 05:53 pm »
a.  Have you heard of any independent listening impressions of PS' RMAF (big, not SPROUT) room which were favorable?  I have not seen any so far.

No you guys are the first i was able to to find , well apart from Pauls ......

a.wayne

« Reply #41 on: 13 Oct 2014, 05:53 pm »
By VS I assume you refer to VSA?  If so, you're the first to describe his sound as hifi...wow!

Have others not said this about VSA ..... ???

a.wayne

« Reply #42 on: 13 Oct 2014, 06:02 pm »
No offense, but what is your point?  You do understand that Paul is the founder/CEO of PS Audio.  Are you surprised a mfg would push his own room as sounding great?

And .....  :roll:

My point was how difficult it is to get opinions,  I  dont know Paul to be delusional, if it was bad he would have said they did not get it right, it's just how this audio  animal is and i do believe those who  stated what they heard, Paul felt it good, others felt it bad, seeing 3 strangers shared the same view, I can believe it was , well  not right , hence my original comment....

a.wayne

« Reply #43 on: 14 Oct 2014, 04:24 pm »
I'm interested in the PS AUDIO room mostly because of his long awaited amplifier design by Bascomb king , with reports from at least 3 members, appears no ideas could be formed due to the below standard sound, disappointing....

Then from pauls blog..

"Tom Richard
October 12, 2014 at 2:04 pm
It was a great show and you had two great rooms, Paul. Congratulate Scott for me again.
Hahax, I’ve been lucky to be in Sound Room one and at the show. The Infinity IRS stands in the rarified air of the greatest speakers ever made. The Beta was certainly wonderful (and, let’s face it, it was a hotel room), but I’d call it a “familial resemblance” to the IRS. The IRS is simply on another level."

Wonderful , its now as clear as mud .. :)

George3

« Reply #44 on: 14 Oct 2014, 05:14 pm »
When Paul, The King of Superlatives, says, " we are quite pleased " that says a lot.....

This will continue to be as clear as mud to you until which time you are able to audition the amp yourself and come to your own conclusions. 

jhm731

« Reply #45 on: 14 Oct 2014, 05:17 pm »

J-Pak

« Reply #46 on: 14 Oct 2014, 05:20 pm »
This was the worst RMAF I've attended as well. Very few rooms that had as good sound in previous years. I will take a guess that fewer people are interested in the trend that hifi is moving towards; low/mid five figure components for entry and mid level respectively. Six figures for "high end". The most interesting things were in the CanJam room, but even headphones are going in the stratosphere direction. Sennheiser's next electrostatic flagship is rumored to be $50k.

jhm731

« Reply #47 on: 14 Oct 2014, 05:21 pm »
I'm interested in the PS AUDIO room mostly because of his long awaited amplifier design by Bascomb king , with reports from at least 3 members, appears no ideas could be formed due to the below standard sound, disappointing....

Then from pauls blog..

"Tom Richard
October 12, 2014 at 2:04 pm
It was a great show and you had two great rooms, Paul. Congratulate Scott for me again.
Hahax, I’ve been lucky to be in Sound Room one and at the show. The Infinity IRS stands in the rarified air of the greatest speakers ever made. The Beta was certainly wonderful (and, let’s face it, it was a hotel room), but I’d call it a “familial resemblance” to the IRS. The IRS is simply on another level."

Wonderful , its now as clear as mud .. :)

"I had a personal interest in the new PS Audio Directstream DAC since I see this as a logical upgrade for my PWD Mk II. Unfortunately I could determine almost nothing about it. PS Audio used it in a major display that contained massive IRS Infinity Beta speakers and two new monoblock amps. It was just impossible to know what the effect of the new DAC might have been while I was there. The sound was interesting in that the music sort of floated away from the huge cabinets which made placement of instruments sort of vague and the room was definitely not bass-heavy despite the size of those woofers. But in combination it all seemed a bit diffuse and soft.  Not sure what the purpose of this set-up was supposed to be as it neither showcased the Directstream model or offered any real insight into the new amps. The matter was not helped by one of the monoblocks packing in while I listened so I took myself next door to hear their new Sprout. Now this is a product to watch out for: integrated amp with  50w per channel, a MM phono stage, USB and RCA inputs for a CD player and TV, a headphone input and bluetooth capability. I immediately snyc'd my iPhone and streamed tunes through it for fun. Sonically the bluetooth option renders everything at MP3 level, I believe, but it's good enough if you just wanted to hear something in the background. A lifestyle product or second system option, at $799 this seemed good value. Good host in the room too, Scott(?) who showed infinite patience and enthusiasm. As for upgrading my DAC, well, I am none the wiser from this trip."

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #48 on: 14 Oct 2014, 06:04 pm »
When Paul, The King of Superlatives, says, " we are quite pleased " that says a lot.....

This will continue to be as clear as mud to you until which time you are able to audition the amp yourself and come to your own conclusions.

George: very, very well said, subtle but you get the message across.  I was a bit timid in wanting to express what you have so well, thanks!

As I mentioned, I suspect the amp will be very, very good.  Bascomb King knows what he is doing, and my understanding is that he has been playing around with this design approach for a number of years now.  Unfortunately, the RMAF demo system revealed nothing (to me at least) about how the amp sounds.
It occurs to me that if a manufacturer of electronics is attempting to show case their electronics in a consumer demo environment, it would be wise to use speakers which both are familiar to audiophiles at large, and work well with the electronics being demoed.  Using 30 year old speakers, to which only few listeners will be accustomed would be ill advised.  A familiar touchstone, like Wilson or Avalon, would make a lot more sense.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 14 Oct 2014, 06:11 pm »
This was the worst RMAF I've attended as well. Very few rooms that had as good sound in previous years. I will take a guess that fewer people are interested in the trend that hifi is moving towards; low/mid five figure components for entry and mid level respectively. Six figures for "high end". The most interesting things were in the CanJam room, but even headphones are going in the stratosphere direction. Sennheiser's next electrostatic flagship is rumored to be $50k.

Did you listen to the Vapor Joule Blacks?  Less than $20K and a world class, full range, speaker for real music listening...
In any case, most manufacturers are making, and selling, what can keep them in business.  In the US, and in Europe to a bit lessor extent, the middle and upper middle classes are losing income steadily, while the very wealthy are getting richer and richer.  So, it makes sense for a high end company to sell a handful of 6 figure components and stay in business, rather than developing stuff at 4 and 5 figures which they cannot sell enough of.

J-Pak

« Reply #50 on: 14 Oct 2014, 08:44 pm »
Did you listen to the Vapor Joule Blacks?  Less than $20K and a world class, full range, speaker for real music listening...
In any case, most manufacturers are making, and selling, what can keep them in business.  In the US, and in Europe to a bit lessor extent, the middle and upper middle classes are losing income steadily, while the very wealthy are getting richer and richer.  So, it makes sense for a high end company to sell a handful of 6 figure components and stay in business, rather than developing stuff at 4 and 5 figures which they cannot sell enough of.

I did get to hear them. I'm mostly interested in horns these days. I am not including myself in the groups of people that is looking to spend little; I'm rebuilding my hifi system from the ground up. It was more a general comment based on what I know from friends back in New England (all physicians), who have become disinterested in the direction hifi is taking.

DEV

« Reply #51 on: 14 Oct 2014, 11:12 pm »

DEV

« Reply #52 on: 14 Oct 2014, 11:16 pm »

DEV

« Reply #53 on: 14 Oct 2014, 11:18 pm »

DEV

« Reply #54 on: 14 Oct 2014, 11:21 pm »

DEV

« Reply #55 on: 14 Oct 2014, 11:22 pm »

a.wayne

« Reply #56 on: 14 Oct 2014, 11:22 pm »

"I had a personal interest in the new PS Audio Directstream DAC since I see this as a logical upgrade for my PWD Mk II. Unfortunately I could determine almost nothing about it. PS Audio used it in a major display that contained massive IRS Infinity Beta speakers and two new monoblock amps. It was just impossible to know what the effect of the new DAC might have been while I was there. The sound was interesting in that the music sort of floated away from the huge cabinets which made placement of instruments sort of vague and the room was definitely not bass-heavy despite the size of those woofers. But in combination it all seemed a bit diffuse and soft.  Not sure what the purpose of this set-up was supposed to be as it neither showcased the Directstream model or offered any real insight into the new amps. The matter was not helped by one of the monoblocks packing in while I listened so I took myself next door to hear their new Sprout. Now this is a product to watch out for: integrated amp with  50w per channel, a MM phono stage, USB and RCA inputs for a CD player and TV, a headphone input and bluetooth capability. I immediately snyc'd my iPhone and streamed tunes through it for fun. Sonically the bluetooth option renders everything at MP3 level, I believe, but it's good enough if you just wanted to hear something in the background. A lifestyle product or second system option, at $799 this seemed good value. Good host in the room too, Scott(?) who showed infinite patience and enthusiasm. As for upgrading my DAC, well, I am none the wiser from this trip."

OK, we now have 4 ,  Paul must have consumed some of that famous and now legal Colorado  pudding ..... :lol:

DEV

« Reply #57 on: 14 Oct 2014, 11:23 pm »

DEV

« Reply #58 on: 14 Oct 2014, 11:24 pm »

DEV

« Reply #59 on: 14 Oct 2014, 11:25 pm »