Rule #258B is now enacted.

Pez

Rule #258B is now enacted.
« on: 11 Oct 2014, 02:44 am »
From now on until the end of time the following is never ever allowed as listening material at an audio show. This rule applies to vendors and show goers alike.

1. Hotel California or for that matter 95% of anything from the Eagles.

2. Anything you personally recorded yourself unless you with an actual recording label like MA recordings or you are Ray Kimber.

3. Stevie Ray Vaughn. I actually love Stevie. He's great, but unfortunately enough is enough. Over saturation was reached 8 years ago and if we are cautious and abide rule #258B we could very well return to nominal levels within the next five years.

4. This portion is known as the Tyson clause. No James Taylor. Ever. Especially not Gaia.  GAIA!!!!!!!! GAIA!!!!!!! Nothings gonna stop us now... sorry. Seriously though enough.

Failure to uphold any of the rules will result in 50 lashes with the thickest interconnect cables we are able to find.

Thank you and goodnight. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Rule #258B is now enacted.
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2014, 02:48 am »
Also, vendors really need to play music.  The amount of crap I heard today is something I've never experienced before.  Chimes, bells and all shitty music.  Do you people really listen to this stuff all the time?   :duh:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2014, 02:51 am »
There was one guy that had a opera piece where the mic constantly overloaded, and then followed up by what I can best describe as clown vaudeville.

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2014, 02:51 am »
If you're going to play that kind of crap at least make it something fun to listen to. Like maybe just play a comedy act from Louie CK or Kathleen Madigan. I would sit and listen to that and enjoy it even if the system sounded like shit.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:07 am »
Yes, I agree.  This show so far has been quite the disappointment to me in that regard.   :(   The other issue is that they don't play anything.  Walk in and everyone is talking with the stereo off.   :scratch:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:58 am »
Yes, I agree.  This show so far has been quite the disappointment to me in that regard.   :(   The other issue is that they don't play anything.  Walk in and everyone is talking with the stereo off.   :scratch:
Usually the most frustrating part of these shows. I know that they need to conduct business and visit/PR, but I wish they'd do it out in the hallway.

Pez

« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2014, 04:04 am »
It's a hard balance to strike between interacting with your clientele and remembering that your clientele are a bunch of introverted basement dwelling trolls who don't want to interact with other people.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2014, 01:00 pm »
It's a hard balance to strike between interacting with your clientele and remembering that your clientele are a bunch of introverted basement dwelling trolls who don't want to interact with other people.
There's some truth there, but they're coming out of their basements to hear Audio equipment that they normally have no way of hearing. Some have even traveled a fair distance to do so.

rpf

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2014, 01:50 pm »

:rotflmao:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2014, 02:06 pm »
So Diana Krall is still fair game?

Love the "truth" there Pez, that's an awesome quote.  :lol:

christopher3393

a.wayne

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2014, 02:40 pm »
What conducting bizniz at a show ,no way ....

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:19 pm »

In the words of Rodney Dangerfield, "I resemble that remark".

Trolls, though? Better trolls than ogres, I suppose...

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2014, 03:28 pm »
Oh, and let me add that this troll appreciates your joint efforts, particularly the candor to speak your mind.

Makes it easier to stay in the basement and avoid interaction with people!

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2014, 04:06 pm »
Play the Creedence, man!

Pez

« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2014, 11:09 pm »
Blatant violation of rule #258B.

Woodsyi listening to Hotel California.

dB Cooper

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2014, 02:48 am »
Hey, you wouldn't even have known that if you hadn't been eavesdropping, he's listening on cans!  :nono: Leave the man alone, at least he's being courteous!  :lol:

I would revise #258B to read "Anything from a Classic Rock station playlist". That means no Stairway, no Maggie May, no Wild World, no Freebird, no Sweet Home Alabama... you know the list. And let's be honest, most of that stuff doesn't sound that good anyway... processed all to hell with compressors, limiters etc etc.

While certain things have been overplayed, familiarity can be useful with unfamiliar equipment in an unfamiliar environment. I have heard 'Kind of Blue' umpteen times on everything from my iPhone to Classic Audio horns driven by OTL boat anchors. This and a few other recordings I am very familiar with allow me to pretty quickly gauge a system as "Wow this is great", or "Worth further listening", or "Setup issues", or "Run Awaaaaayyyyy!" (nod to Monty Python)

WireNut

« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2014, 02:59 am »

That means no Stairway, no Maggie May, no Wild World, no Freebird, no Sweet Home Alabama... you know the list.

I'd rather listen to Peter Frampton and I'm Soo burnt on him.

sandbagger

« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2014, 11:04 pm »
can we get another rule of you must take a shower the morning of the show(and each day there) along with all rooms must use the air conditioning units PLEASE!!!  I understand the need to turn them off for some tracks but if I fall over in the hall just opening the door I aint going in for dammmmm sure

dB Cooper

« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:33 am »
Good point sandbagger. A lot of the rooms at CAF this past July smelled like ass when well populated, so it isn't just RMAF.

I would think in Colorado in October, you could crack open a window just a bit.