DIY stands for Magnepan 17

JimM

DIY stands for Magnepan 17
« on: 2 Sep 2014, 12:36 am »
I just made some DIY stands for my Mapnepan 1.7 cannot believe the difference it made, every parameter is improved. I really didn’t expect much of an improvement but was surprised at the change the stands made. I suspect the biggest improvement was improved coupling to the floor (which thinking about it makes sense), prior to the stands they just set on the carpet via the stock Magenpan stands. I would advise anyone who has their Magnepan just setting on a carpeted floor to build or buy some decent stands. Big difference.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: DIY stands for Magnepan 17
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2014, 09:29 am »
We like pictures.

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2014, 02:21 pm »
Pictures and details too.   How much did you spend?

JimM

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2014, 11:06 pm »
Will try to post some pictures. I started this project thinking about ordering a set of MYE stands, but as I said in the post was not sure they would make a difference so after looking at some diy stands decided to build some. (Thanks to all of you diy guys) I have not painted them yet and at some point may try the MYE stands as the steel would be even more ridged. The base is constructed from 2 pieces of ¾ MDF glued together with spikes on the 4 corners. The brackets holding the support is screwed from the bottom of the base and the other parts you can see from the pictures. I modified the 1.7 standard brackets as shown by drilling holes in them and they are attached to the base plate with T-NUTS on the bottom of the base. The completed stand weighs around 30 to 35 lb mostly due to the MDF base. Once assembled they are fairly stable and ridged. The cost was minimal as most of the materials I had from past products, but if bought new around $100.00 or less. Sorry about picture orientation.

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2014, 09:58 pm »
JimM - thanks for following up and the pictures help a lot  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2014, 12:08 am »
Rotated your pics for you.

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:56 am »
Hey Jim, those 1.7 stands look excellent. I made some platforms a while back with
spikes so my MMG’s would not sit on the rug and I did hear an improvement. I
wanted to secure the speakers to platforms like you did but never got around to it.

Some one on the forum suggested I add some weight on the bases so I put 12 lbs
of dumb bell weights on each platform (there still there) and the MMG’s sounded like they
had more focus. It may or may not make a difference with yours because you made the
1.7’s more ridged but it might be worth a try.

Thanks for posting the pictures of your stands. Great diy project..

JimM

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2014, 12:42 pm »
Steve thanks for rotating the pictures, and brooklyn will try some added weight. I guess it is time to paint them as the wife is asking are you going to leave then like that!

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2014, 01:41 pm »
Jim those are nice stands, thanks for posting.  Seeing them motivates me to try and make some.  I wonder if there is a different way to attach the support arms to the panels.  I also saw these really nice stands in an audiogon ad for some 3.6's

Davey

« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2014, 01:56 pm »
Those are nice stands.  The conduit clamps are a easy/neat solution without having to bore a hole into the speaker frame.
With that type of scheme (same with the Mye stands) you can obviously see the clamps from the front, and it changes the aesthetics.  That might be a show-stopper for some folks.

If a person is not adverse to drilling some holes in their speakers, then a hiding rear mount is obviously the way to go.

Dave.

JimM

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2014, 06:37 pm »
Yes I thought about mounting by screwing to panel but did not want a hole in the frame. I found the cross brace between the two side supports to be necessary for stability and to keep the conduit clamps secure. Once I added the cross brace they tighten up nicely. By the way the conduit clamp is 2 in and they come in different thickness, I got the thickets one I could find as I drilled and tapped (1/4 in) threads into the clamp. After I get them painted will see how visible they are. Those aluminum stands are nice.
Jim

JimM

Re: DIY stands for Magnepan 1.7 more pics
« Reply #11 on: 16 Sep 2014, 03:26 pm »

I finally got the stands painted so here are some pictures. They actually sound better painted as I was getting some interference unpainted, periodically I would hear.  Are you going to leave them like that?

Davey

« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2014, 03:49 pm »
Constructive interference.  :)

Dave.

brooklyn

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2014, 05:12 pm »
Hey Jim, those stands look fantastic and (no more interference).
They also look good next to your gear. Great job..

Regards,
Brooklyn

kentj1948

« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2014, 05:39 pm »
Your stands are brilliantly simple and effective.  They solve the two problems that Magnepan's own stands neglect: an ability to level the speaker and support for the panel itself.  I have the Mye stands for my 1.7s and I use a bungee cord to pull the panel supports against the sides of the panels.  I found that mild inward pressure insures that the thumbscrews only have to press gently against the speaker to keep it from moving forward/backward.  No pressure is needed to keep the supports themselves attached. I use a couple of one gallon good quality freezer bags filled about two-thirds full with sand to weigh down the base and provide some damping. 

Very, very nice job.

jameskerry41

« Reply #15 on: 5 Nov 2016, 02:59 pm »
Nice job, great minds think alike..I did similar a while back; I used thick rubber (old tire innertube section) to add 'snuggness' -

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/tweaks/green_lantern/

robobxman

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jul 2017, 06:49 pm »
Here are my 1.7 stands - just finished them today. Used pressure based bracing, which allowed me to leave my Maggies unscathed, and rollers so that I can pull 'em out for critical listening sessions but hide them to foster continued marital bliss :). Being off the ground improves sound without tilting and the mobility makes for easy placement adjustments. Base is MDF; braces are pine attached to PVC lined with felt; wheels are roller blade deck chair wheels.