Are portable A/C units any good?

Doublej

Are portable A/C units any good?
« on: 20 Apr 2014, 10:11 pm »
I live in an old house. In the summer we put in a bunch of window A/C units including a mondo sized one for the living/dining room area which is about 3200 cubic feet.

My wife wants to replace it with a floor standing portable unit. Bad idea? Good idea?

ctviggen

Re: Are portable A/C units any good?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2014, 10:53 am »
In my former house, we switched to portable units for two rooms a while back.  For the main room, we were able to buy a larger unit (as the windows were quite small).  I can a 20 Amp circuit just for the portable unit for both rooms.  The units seemed to work really well in both rooms and are pretty quiet and easier to install.  They really not that "portable" though, as you still need to insulate the windows to prevent drafts.  They're also more expensive for the same output.  That is, the window units seem to be more powerful for a lower cost.  Having said that, I would've gotten all portables after a while. 

(Actually, we had everything electrically ready to install for central air; I would've done that, as I think the window/portable units are too expensive to run relative to central air, although the initial cost of central air is much higher.)

Don_S

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2014, 04:11 pm »
Where is the heat exchanger on portable units?  I do not understand how/where they dump the heat they remove from the room plus what they generate.

Carl V

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2014, 04:16 pm »
They vent out the hot air via a large coiled hose to the outside,
usually the window has been rigged with a vent opening. As has been
stated they work. Albeit how well & efficiently is variable. They are
relatively affordable, neat & mobile.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2014, 04:19 pm »
Carl,

Thank you for the explanation.