SOLD: Curvy Chang Single Driver Speakers

gab

SOLD: Curvy Chang Single Driver Speakers
« on: 7 Dec 2013, 07:34 pm »
The Curvy Changs use the Fostex FE207E driver (with a Planet10-HiFi wooden phase plug) and a helper tweeter for the higher frequencies where the Fostex rolls off. The cabinets are built to spec from the Spawn family of cabinet designs to extract maximum bass from a single driver speaker.  Very efficient and fast as one would expect from a single driver speaker. Internal wiring is Audioquest continuous cast copper. There is a potentiometer on the rear panel to attenuate the tweeter helper when/if desired. Cabinets are made from MDF and in very good condition (7-8/10) and are very well built. 

SOLD $600 OBO pickup only (no shipping) in Dallas at 75032 (I can deliver these within 75 mi of Dallas)

gab

« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2019, 11:36 pm by gab »

goingsolo

Re: FS: Curvy Chang single driver speakers (pickup in Dallas)
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2013, 09:58 pm »
Beautiful speakers.
What kind of tweeters are those above the Fostex drivers?

gab

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2013, 10:49 pm »
Beautiful speakers.
What kind of tweeters are those above the Fostex drivers?

The short answer is I don't know since I was not the original builder. I'd have to go back thru the Curvy Chang threads (biggest one is here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/106911-curvy-chang-thread.html ) to see what tweeter everyone was building these with. Post #680 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/106911-curvy-chang-thread-68.html calls out some Dayton Audio tweeters:
Dayton Audio ND16FA-6 5/8" Neodymium Dome Tweeter 275-025. I have no idea whether this is the one or not without opening up the speaker.

gab

edit - I spent some more time on this thread. The builder of these speakers was Bear-Hifi (ref post #550). I'll try to see if he is still around and see if he remembers.

bear-hifi

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2013, 06:30 pm »
If I remember the tweeter is a Dayton with 1.5 or 2.5 cap and a L-pad.  The box is all ¾ MDF and the port gap was measured using a certified measuring pin from work.
Great speakers but had to sell to support other projects. 

gab

Re: FS: Curvy Chang Single Driver Speakers
« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2018, 09:25 pm »
bump

johnnybravo

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2018, 11:17 pm »
Those drawings look like there is stepped/segmented wood in the 'curve' - but the speakers look like smooth wood?  Also, do the boxes inside the curve have [square] holes in the top and bottom to vent the sound waves into the curves?  Finally, would these enclosures work with other drivers? (Lowther, etc.)

gab

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2018, 08:39 pm »
Those drawings look like there is stepped/segmented wood in the 'curve' - but the speakers look like smooth wood?  Also, do the boxes inside the curve have [square] holes in the top and bottom to vent the sound waves into the curves?  Finally, would these enclosures work with other drivers? (Lowther, etc.)

JB - some answers to your questions:

1. These were built with a smooth transition versus the stepped transition as shown in the drawing. Cuts down on a lot of extra weight and makes the speaker easier to move around (my assumption on why the builder chose to do it this way).

2. Definitely rectangular opening to vent the driver box to the top/bottom sections (very hard to see in that drawing). See post above from Bear-HiFI (the actual builder of these speakers) as to how that port-gap was measured. This gap is critical to the design of the speaker.

3. Regarding "other drivers" that might work in this cabinet, see posts #62 and #63 of the following thread as a start (and several others if you read through the entire thread):

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/106911-curvy-chang-thread-7.html?s=cfaf3a6135427a3e7f878d2ca88be397

Lots of discussions in that DIYaudio Curvy Chang build thread and well worth the read!

And here on post #2 : https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/167204-lowther-pm6c-worth.html

gab
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2018, 10:22 pm by gab »

gab

Re: SOLD: Curvy Chang Single Driver Speakers
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2019, 11:37 pm »
SOLD