Best Sounding Jazz Recordings

K.F.

Re: Best Sounding Jazz Recordings
« Reply #80 on: 23 Apr 2014, 03:20 pm »
Just to be a bit different, I chose 5 live albums, and to get off the beaten path of albums we all know only too well, I put these 3 albums from the small but highly acclaimed Sound Liaison label on top, but also because I really do think they are superior in sound quality, even when compared to ECM's Keith Jarrett.
Bobby Timmons ''in Person'' is an old favorite with a prominent Ron Carter right in the middle of the sound stage, and no I don't think that my LP's sounds better than these hi-res downloads. I wish they did but ....that is life. On the plus side I would probably not have discovered these wonderful ''young'' musicians if I had been stuck with only listening to my vast collection of L.P's

1. Batik; the old Man and the Sea. http://www.soundliaison.com/

2. Paul Berner; Road to Memphis. http://www.soundliaison.com/

3. Carmen Gomes Inc.; Thousand Shades of Blue

http://www.soundliaison.com/

4. Keith Jarrett; Somewhere http://www.hdtracks.com/somewhere-live-in-lucerne-2009

5. Bobby Timmons Trio ( LP)

........... this one should be on my list as well.

6.Eliane Elias/Marc Johnson; Swept Away

Swept Away sees the top-class quartet of pianist Eliane Elias, double-bassist Marc Johnson, drummer Joey Baron and saxophonist Joe Lovano commune over music that is engaging and sensual, lyrical and swinging. Brazilian-born star Elias previously joined ECM veterans Baron and Lovano on Johnson s 2005 ECM album, Shades of Jade, which reaped praise far and wide. The New York Times enthused over the luminescence created by the close partnership between Elias and Johnson, while The Village Voice said the album was shimmering yet its lusciousness has all sorts of tensile strength. The same words suit Swept Away, which includes a brace of melody-rich Elias compositions, ranging from the easy-flowing title track to the smoky romanticism of Be Is for Butterfly and after-hours vibe of It s Time. Johnsons brightly grooving, Eastern-tinged When the Sun Comes Up is another highlight, and the album closes with Johnson s solo bass treatment of the old American folk song Shenandoah. Swept Away is music of depth that is disarmingly easy to love.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2015, 06:57 pm by K.F. »

Quiet Earth

« Reply #81 on: 23 Apr 2014, 03:39 pm »
Well, ok, then, Q.  Kindly recommend one.

I think Jungle Soul has a really good mix of blues and Jazz. But I like most Dr. Lonnie Smith albums, so it's hard for me to choose. The majority of his latest recordings offer stellar sound quality.

There is an 1992 album by Jimmy Ponder called "To Reach A Dream" which features Dr. LS, and that one is more of a neat and tidy jazz album. It sounds really good if you crank it up a bit. It is not recorded at modern "hot" levels. Rudy Van Gelder did that one.

K.F.

« Reply #82 on: 23 Apr 2014, 04:48 pm »
........... this one should be on my list as well.

6.Eliane Elias/Marc Johnson; Swept Away

Sorry the Eliane Elias is not a live album.

But this one is;

Hugh Masekela Hope

This is one great sounding album!
Just got the CD, 16/44, but it has depth, placement and seems to me very good dynamic range as well.
Highly recommended!

Quiet Earth

« Reply #83 on: 2 May 2014, 10:12 pm »
Uma Batida Differente by Bossacucanova.

Chazro

« Reply #84 on: 3 May 2014, 09:22 am »
+1 for Bossacucanova!  That's a great record!  I own 5 of their records.  Just got their latest; 'Our Kind Of Bossa' last month featuring many of Brazil 's best singers.  Their formula of mixing ol' skool instrumentation and modern electronics via DJ makes their recordings a sonic feast.  Especially rewarding when listening thru earphones!

Quiet Earth

« Reply #85 on: 4 May 2014, 01:20 am »
Bet it sounds good on those Spendors too............        :dance:

Chazro

« Reply #86 on: 4 May 2014, 04:36 pm »
You got that right!  There's not much that doesn't sound great thru my Spendor's!  Regardless of music genre or amplification (solid state or tube, although I prefer tube!).  Vinyl, CD, MP3, or tape!  Only the lousiest recording or severely poorly pressed vinyl, which will sound bad on any system.  I've heard plenty of great speakers, but I've been more than satisfied with my S100's for over 20 years!

PleasantSounds

« Reply #87 on: 11 May 2014, 05:47 am »
Great thread, many fantastic recordings already have been mentioned. Out of the stuff I listen to and consider best sounding, here's a few that I haven't seen:

Chad Wackerman - Dreams, Nightmares and Improvisations
The New Gary Burton Quartet - Common Ground
Tomas Ornberg's Blue Five feat. Kenny Davern
Patricia Barber - Nightclub

Jazz at the Pawnshop has already been mentioned, but that must be the best live recording I have heard.

To be honest, jazz has really been blessed with high quality recordings. There's really plenty of choice to enjoy great music in very good quality.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #88 on: 2 Jan 2015, 02:02 am »
I have the Japanese Version of THE BOBBY TIMMONS TRIO.I bought in Philadelphia at 3rd Street Jazz (now defunct)

karelg

« Reply #89 on: 12 Jan 2015, 02:25 pm »
Bill Evans has some recordings that I really enjoy, notably, Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Waltz for Debbie and the two duet albums with Tony Bennett.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #90 on: 6 Mar 2015, 02:48 am »
International internationalphonographic.com

This label has a website so I expect they are still in business.  "Rendevoux" is one of their releases tho I don't know if it is obtainable as I didn't see it on their site, but you should find out.  I did see some interesting things, however.  It's a jazz piano- Richard Beirach- and acoustic bass- George Mraz- duo and it's one of the most musically beguiling and wonderful sounding recordings I own or have ever heard.

Don't let the word jazz put you off.  This one is romantic and the sound is SOTA harmonically pure.

If you can access it online, listen to track 2 to sample. 

This one I want to play for God when my time comes and all will be forgiven, I'm pretty sure.

K.F.

« Reply #91 on: 17 Mar 2015, 06:47 pm »
The latest from the little Sound Liaison label is very very impressive, they just keep getting better.
Live and full of atmosphere, not like the previous albums live in the studio but live in a Hi -Res audio shop.
Highly recommended;

http://www.soundliaison.com/

And reading the liner I find it the extraordinary sound quality even more impressive;

Tony and Bert at Rhasody
The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones.
When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights.
The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording.
Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.

The recording conditions were not ideal. The doors in the back of the room were opened several times by people trying to squeeze in, making the sound from the espresso machine in the hall and the DJ playing ambient music in the garden faintly audible at the beginning of each set. Later halfway through the concert the windows of the room had to be opened for air. The DJ turned off his music but he was immediately replaced by the sound of birds singing.
If listening closely one can hear them, chime in, in the quiet parts.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #92 on: 17 Mar 2015, 09:34 pm »
I recently bought CDs from these two small labels and the recording quality is noticeably higher than many others:

Jazz Legacy Productions
http://jazzlegacyproductions.com/

Smoke Sessions
http://smokesessionsrecords.com/

banks1419

« Reply #93 on: 8 Apr 2015, 01:53 am »
Hi - I am a newbie here but heavily into jazz recordings and playing.  I recently acquired a SACD player so renewed interest in discs.  Some that I found had clear and present sound with good separation and soundstage (some probably listed here already):
- Chick Corea Trio - Triology (normal CD) - really great sounds cross the tracks
- Chick Corea - Rendezvous in NY (SACD 5.1) - nice use of surrounds.  need to watch setting on your sub
- Rosa Passos & Ron Carter - Entr Amigos (hybrid SACD 2 channel) - really luscious Latin tracks
- Patricia Barber - A Distortion of Love (hybrid SACD 2 channel) - really clear and like you are there
- Getz/Gilberto (SACD) - amazing it was recorded so long ago
- Ralph Towner/Paolo Fresu (guitar and trumpet - normal CD) - a find in the used $3 CD bin.  Very mellow and present

hellwood2

« Reply #94 on: 21 Apr 2015, 03:48 pm »
Dr Lonnie Smith  Too Damn Hot

hyperpia

« Reply #95 on: 27 May 2015, 07:28 pm »
I pretty much like almost every thing release from the ECM label

Starchild

• Free your mind and your behind will follow!
« Reply #96 on: 27 Jun 2015, 04:17 pm »
Alma Records Presents: One Take, Volume 1

ccssid

« Reply #97 on: 12 Jul 2015, 02:31 am »
Jazz at the pawnshop.a classic

Dougie2404

« Reply #98 on: 22 Feb 2016, 04:33 pm »
I notice that ECM gets a lot of mentions, I find them a bit on the heavy side for me, but I agree that the recording quality is top class. If you are of the same mind try anything on the AC T label, again the recordings a superb but they are a bit easier to get into.

Try

Lento  Youn Sun Nah
Alter Ego.  Yarn Herman
Seven Teares. Christian Muthspiel 4

Also
Jags Jazzist Live With Britten Sinfonia.     Different but worth a listen.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #99 on: 22 Feb 2016, 05:56 pm »
For digital recordings, check out the MAPLESHADE catalog online.  I have 3 or 4 and the sound is full bodied and alive.