"Rite of Spring" recommendation?

jimdgoulding

Re: "Rite of Spring" recommendation?
« Reply #20 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:57 am »
Listened to them both at nearly the same volume level.  The Abbado is multi miked and the Telarc is three mikes across the front of the stage.  The thing about multi miking is that it will give you better seperation of instrumental sections and sometimes the instruments themselves but the sound travels a shorter distance to the mikes cause they're directly over the sections.  The front three mikes of the Telarc allow the arrival of info ontime from where it is originating.  The orchestra sounds closer than on the DG but deeper and layered by rows.  The Telarc is warmer, too, and more of a whole piece or gestalt.  Not as much air* or individual sharpness and detail, and not as much width, but I prefer the Telarc cause it sounds more natural and good to me.  I think I'm getting a better seat.

*can't help but wonder if that is because it's a digital recording :dunno:.
« Last Edit: 9 Nov 2012, 05:18 am by jimdgoulding »

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 9 Nov 2012, 05:02 am »
May have at least something to do with it.

On miking: I am often surprised by how some older recordings with relatively simple miking setups "put me there" as well or better than more modern recordings with complex setups. "Kind of Blue" and "Dave Brubeck Quartet live At Carnegie Hall" are just two that come to mind.

Although (as I mentioned) not big into classical, at least thus far, I have read that DG recordings are the subject of some sharp differences of opinion among listeners because of their use of elaborate multi-miking arrangements. Telarc on the other hand is noted for simple miking like that described by jimdgoulding.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #22 on: 9 Nov 2012, 05:10 am »
Hi, db.  The best of smaller group acoustic recordings that I listen to and love are Blumien miked or some variation thereof.  I heartfully recommend that you research that.  Cheers. 

firedog

« Reply #23 on: 9 Nov 2012, 06:54 am »
db-

Sounds like you might like the Kronos Quartet. String Quartet that plays everything from "the classics" to avant garde and Jimi Hendrix. You haven't heard "Purple Haze" till you've heard it played by a string quartet.

http://kronosquartet.org/home

Ericus Rex

« Reply #24 on: 10 Nov 2012, 02:36 pm »
BTW, Boulez's recording of the complete Firebird with NYP on Columbia has been one of my reference redbook (also available on vinyl!) CDs for years.  Once you hear the complete Firebird you  may never go back to the suite.

*Scotty*

« Reply #25 on: 10 Nov 2012, 04:20 pm »
I've got to vote for Pierre Boulez with the Chicago Symphony version of the complete Firebird on Deutsch Gramophone, it has a very dynamic and uncompressed sound with an excellent capture of the acoustic space of the performance venue. The recording uses a lot of the CDs available dynamic range, like Telarc you have approach how you chose your playback level carefully.
Scotty
http://www.amazon.com/Stravinsky-LOiseau-dartifice-Quatre-orchestre/dp/B000001GJD/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1352563459&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=The+complete+firebird+deutsch+gramophone

Ericus Rex

« Reply #26 on: 10 Nov 2012, 04:44 pm »
This is probably the set to get as it contains all of Boulez's DG recordings of Stravinsky, including Scotty's rec of the complete Firebird.  Price is right too for 6 discs.

http://www.amazon.com/Boulez-Conducts-Stravinsky/dp/B002XDFOGM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1352565029&sr=1-1&keywords=boulez+stravinsky

*Scotty*

« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2012, 05:21 pm »
Thanks for posting that link, I think I have found an early Xmas present.
Scotty

simoon

« Reply #28 on: 10 Nov 2012, 10:44 pm »
Hi, db.  The best of smaller group acoustic recordings that I listen to and love are Blumien miked or some variation thereof.  I heartfully recommend that you research that.  Cheers.

My knowledge of miking techniques is next to nonexistent, but something I'd like to learn more about.

Would it be safe to say that recordings that best reproduce image, soundstage, room acoustics and ambiance are most likely  Blumien miked?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #29 on: 12 Nov 2012, 12:49 am »
I think so for acoustic recordings of smaller ensembles made on location, but not for popular music made in a studio generally.  If you can get info on a particular recording online, you might can find out in advance of purchase.

dB Cooper

« Reply #30 on: 12 Nov 2012, 02:30 am »
db-

Sounds like you might like the Kronos Quartet. String Quartet that plays everything from "the classics" to avant garde and Jimi Hendrix. You haven't heard "Purple Haze" till you've heard it played by a string quartet.

http://kronosquartet.org/home

Checked out the site.
I remember hearing of this group; I am probably more ready to hear them now. They are certainly prolific! As a Monk fan, I think I might seek that one out first. Welcome your suggestions on other releases. Which one has Purple Haze? I remember hearing Hendrix done by the Turtle Island quartet. That was interesting...

Thanks for your Stravinsky suggestions everybody. It may get me more into orchestral music. I have found that most music of the classical period doesn't move me; I am used to something with more "edge" to it. Everybody seems to agree Stravinsky definitely doesn't fall short there.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #31 on: 12 Nov 2012, 03:28 am »
If you like Stravinsky, you should check out Shostakovich, Prokofiev, and Bartok.  All of them have a nice edge, sometimes even menace.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 12 Nov 2012, 07:51 pm »
I have what I think is Krono's first record, In Formation.  It's 45rpm from Reference Recordings,  Haven't listened to it in a long while but I will remedy that tonite :).  Cheers.   

Quiet Earth

« Reply #33 on: 12 Nov 2012, 11:03 pm »
I listened to the Telarc version, Lorin Maazel and TCO on compact disc and then Riccardo Muti TPO on MoFi EMI/Angel vinyl. I greatly preferred the Telarc version because it sounded more natural to me and not so in your face. I don't know how they miked the Philadelphia Orchestra for the Muti vinyl, but it does sound highlighted and in your lap at times. Maybe this accounts for the feeling that there is more "air" in vinyl.  :dunno:

I am a classical music novice, so forgive my stumbling about in the dark.

The Telarc is warmer, too, and more of a whole piece or gestalt.  Not as much air* or individual sharpness and detail, and not as much width, but I prefer the Telarc cause it sounds more natural and good to me.  I think I'm getting a better seat.

*can't help but wonder if that is because it's a digital recording :dunno:.

dB Cooper

« Reply #34 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:11 am »
Got my Bernstein CD and have listened to the Firebird selections (it was late  :icon_lol: ) Nice sound for a 54yo recording (digitally remastered, according to the SPAR code- remember those?)
Really liked that stuff. Had a similar reaction as I did listening to Brubeck the first time: I didn't understand what was going on, but I thought to myself: There is something going on here.
Will listen to the Rite of Spring sections probably over the weekend.

Also per another suggestion got a Kronos Quartet CD. Started with "Monk Suite" as I am already a Monk fan. Haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Tyson, thanks for the suggestions. Any particular releases you have in mind? Maybe I will become a classical fan yet.

Sooooo.... Any suggestions on the "complete" Firebird?

rbbert

« Reply #35 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:14 am »
Bartok's "Concerto For Orchestra" is a no-brainer.

firedog

« Reply #37 on: 17 Nov 2012, 11:28 am »
Purple Haze performed by the Kronos Quartet:

The Kronos Quartet Plays Sallinen, Glass, Sculthorpe, Hendrix, Nancarrow

firedog

« Reply #38 on: 17 Nov 2012, 11:31 am »
Got the re-release of the 1958 Bernstein from Amazon.

Wow, this Rite of Spring is a really good one. The performance is fantastic and the recording is good. Great pace to the recording. Tension in all the right places. The strings sound amazing. It doesn't have the extreme frequency  range of a modern recording, but sounds very good. Very lifelike and dynamic sound. Am enjoying this a lot.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2012, 01:55 pm by firedog »

dB Cooper

« Reply #39 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:55 pm »
Thanks Scotty & rbbert (& everyone).

Had a chance to listen to the Kronos Monk Suite (and most of the Rite). Interesting stuff

Might get one of the "modern" releases to go along with the 1958 Rite also
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2012, 05:57 pm by dB Cooper »