Dodd phono stage vs. upgraded Cambridge vs. Vista

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Dodd phono stage vs. upgraded Cambridge vs. Vista
« on: 3 Aug 2012, 07:23 pm »
For several years I've had a Cambridege 640P that gets good reviews for the $, and a year or two back i started upgrading caps, then I picked up another with upgraded op amps and caps.  In the meantime, I got a deal on a Vista for a MC that I was using, and now I've just picked up Dodd.  :o :o :notworthy:
Now I get it.  The Cambridge upgrade are clearly audible, but the Vista still has better detail and imaging (at least when comparing with a Signet MC).  But what this Dodd does is simply in a different class- of course it should be.  The Cambridge and Vista are a couple of hundred bucks whereas the Dodd is over a thousand.  But holy moly what a difference!  Detail, space, bass definition, imaging, .... the list just goes on. 
Now I can't say that the Dodd is the champion among the $1K+ group because I simply haven't heard them, but I can say that none of the "giant killers" even come close on what this unit delivers.  I've been watching for a while to see if any Dodd units came up for sale, but have not seen any used.  I think I understand why. 

Scott

kingdeezie

Re: Dodd phono stage vs. upgraded Cambridge vs. Vista
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2012, 08:04 pm »
The Dodd is pretty awesome. I had that unit when I I still had a vinyl setup. Enjoy!! :thumb:

pipper389

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2013, 02:35 am »
looks like an entry level unit , maybe something i might be interested in future.

WireNut

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:09 am »
looks like an entry level unit , maybe something i might be interested in future.

Entry level at 1K.
Ugh

Consider the Cornet2 for around $750.00 completed.

S Clark

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2013, 04:57 am »
Entry level at 1K.
Ugh

Consider the Cornet2 for around $750.00 completed.
Well the Cambridge is definitely and entry level unit, although hot rodded to a higher level.  The Vista is a nice step up from that, and perhaps an entry level unit for those getting in with a mid level turntable.  There is no way I'd consider the Dodd an entry level phono stage.  Like all things audiophool, I have no doubt that the Dodd can be bested, just not cheaply.

WireNut

« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:09 am »
Well the Cambridge is definitely and entry level unit, although hot rodded to a higher level.  The Vista is a nice step up from that, and perhaps an entry level unit for those getting in with a mid level turntable.  There is no way I'd consider the Dodd an entry level phono stage.  Like all things audiophool, I have no doubt that the Dodd can be bested, just not cheaply.

There's someone on AK that has a mod for the cambridge 640p I think that is suppose to be really good. Can't remember their user name but it's probably worth looking into for somebody that's looking to mod there cambridge phono pre.

S Clark

« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2013, 05:41 am »
There's someone on AK that has a mod for the cambridge 640p I think that is suppose to be really good. Can't remember their user name but it's probably worth looking into for somebody that's looking to mod there cambridge phono pre.
That guy is Hypnotoad. It is a good mod, and my Cambridge has that upgrade- caps and op amps.  It does add detail, but I still like the Vista better.  I like the Dodd even more than the Vista. 

fsimms

« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2013, 06:11 am »
I have a MiniMax Phonostage that is pretty good but my Dodd blows it away.  Get a pair of Amperex Oranges to put in the input stage of the Dodd and the increase in sound will be totally unbelievable.  A friend has an Audio Research PH7 and he says that it is as good or better than his Dodd.  However, I think he just had some Bugle Boys which are not near as good as the oranges.

Bob

WireNut

« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2013, 06:27 am »
That guy is Hypnotoad. It is a good mod, and my Cambridge has that upgrade- caps and op amps.  It does add detail, but I still like the Vista better.  I like the Dodd even more than the Vista.

Yes Hypnotod, that's the guy. Good to know you like the Vista better then the modded cambridge. I own a Vista :thumb:
Still, someday I hope to build a Cornet2 even if just for fun, or to just improving on my DIY skills.

WireNut

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2013, 06:33 am »

Who is running Dodd Audio Corporation?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2013, 12:52 pm »
Gary Dodd

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2013, 01:32 pm »
I am glad to hear that you like Gary's phono pre.  He's building me a unit to go with a Miyajima Zero mono cart.  I am going balanced and battery power to eliminate any hum what so ever.  I have tried the Zero mono on my existing phono pre and I can't get rid of the hum.  It's probably the AC powered phono stage.  I had a hum issue with it and  I solved it by going balanced.  So I am hoping Gary's balanced and battery power will do the trick for the Zero cartridge.  Of course, I am expecting fabulous sound out the Dodd phono stage. :wink:

S Clark

« Reply #12 on: 7 Mar 2013, 02:25 pm »
Miyajima Zero !! I have cartridge envy  :green:.   I have a Denon DL-102 mono that I often play through the Dodd with no noise.  Batteries solve a lot of problems.  With my pre, dac, and phono stage on batteries, I don't have a lot of noise in my system.

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:04 pm »
Miyajima Zero !! I have cartridge envy  :green:.   I have a Denon DL-102 mono that I often play through the Dodd with no noise.  Batteries solve a lot of problems.  With my pre, dac, and phono stage on batteries, I don't have a lot of noise in my system.

Also jealous of the Zero. A mono cart is next on my audio to-do list...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:51 pm »
What I heard above the hum was great.  Mono on mono fleshed out more details and added texture that I didn't know were there.   :thumb: