Re: CA Audio Show...
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2012, 05:51 pm »
me :lol:

lapsan

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2012, 05:52 pm »
Hey, want to carpool?

I have to work the room for BAAS from 2-4 Saturday...
T

orientalexpress

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2012, 06:42 pm »
sure,i'm going friday at 11:30 tho,satureday what time u want to come by for carpool

lasan

Mortsnets

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2012, 01:16 am »
I tend to focus on speakers (like the singer in a band) and my top picks at the show were:
1. Tannoy Westminster Royal speakers in the Blue Moon Audio room
2. AN E/SPe HE in the Audio Note room
3. DIY speakers using Audio Nirvana 15" Neo's in the Bay Area Audiophile club room
4. Franco Serblin's compact Accordo's in the Tone of Music Audio room
5. Vintage Rogers LS3/5a's in the Music First room
6. Sonist speakers in the Dared room (powered by a Dared I30 integrated)
7. Dynaudio Focus 340's with Margules electronics in one of the many Audio Visions rooms

Also impressed by the little Dragonfly USB DAC by Audioquest and the super inexpensive AudioEngine D1 USB DAC.

The Tannoy 15" Silvers at the nearby Vintage Audio Fair on some vintage tube gear I didn't recognize sounded really good too.

vortrex

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2012, 04:01 am »
it was my first time at an audio show, so maybe it was just me, but I don't think the majority of the rooms sounded THAT great?  I would say the Audio Note room was the real standout, pretty amazing.  The Tone of Music room was probably my second favorite, but even it didn't have the same magic the Audio Note room had.  one other thing...thanks to Zu for having a music selection for non senior citizens.

Mortsnets

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2012, 05:22 am »
Vortrex, this was my second audio show and yes the first time I was sort of shocked at the not so great sound (especially vs the prices).  Maybe it's the rooms.

The Zu room was great, the top of the line speaker was just ok in the tiny room but they had great music all on vinyl with a Zu cartridge.

vortrex

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2012, 05:28 am »
after listening to all that elevator music I was somewhat shocked to hear The Evens playing when I opened the door to the Zu room.  what a refreshing break.  Sean was a cool guy too.  I stayed in there for a few different albums.  interesting that we felt the same way in regards to most of the rooms.  I swear my novice system sounds better than a lot of those big $ ones.  to me it seems like a lot of the rooms were quite noisy.  that's what really stood out to me, even in the mega dollar VAC room.