SBT Digital Mods and USB

BRN

SBT Digital Mods and USB
« on: 18 Jun 2012, 04:56 pm »
I wanted to know if the digital mods to the SBT improve the USB out? Also, is it better to use the S/PDIF or USB?

Wayne1

Re: SBT Digital Mods and USB
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2012, 06:49 pm »
I have not tried using the Touch with USB out. I do not have a DAC on hand that will work higher than 24/96 with USB. I can use files up to 24/192 with the SP/DIF output of the Touch and input on the DAC.

The mods improve the power supply to the clocks and the digital output section of the Touch. I have not traced out where the USB output might come from.

I have heard quite a bit of difference in USB cables. To get a very good USB cable could cost around $500.00. SP/DIF cables also sound different, but you can get very good sound for under $150.00.

In all cases, I do suggest replacing the stock switching power supply with a good linear power supply.

BRN

Re: SBT Digital Mods and USB
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2012, 07:43 pm »
Wayne,

Thanks for the information. I already have your modded SB2 and PS with Jensen 4 pole caps. I want something that I can use now and still use as a transport later with an external DAC. I was looking at other options until the EDO option became available. Now I'm think that this would be a good path for the future.

I plan to continue to my SB2 for either headphone amp or two channel setup.