Visiting Dallas -- what's an audiophile to do?

Delacroix

Visiting Dallas -- what's an audiophile to do?
« on: 17 Jan 2012, 02:10 am »
Hi, work takes me to Dallas for the rest of the week so am looking to check out the city to hear some music, either live or in the form of great audio to hear some great gear. What do you locals suggest? Will be staying just off I-35.  Thanks

Patrick

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Visiting Dallas -- what's an audiophile to do?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2012, 02:21 am »
Call Gary Dodd and see if he can give you 30 minutes to listen to his rig and talk amps/preamps.  His huge 740 tube watt prototype might be more nearly broken in, and his listening room is excellent.

Then make a run to Ft. Worth to listen to Arthurs custom room and rig.  I've been meaning to drop in on Art myself to hear what he replaced his LS9's with. 

Scott

TrungT

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2012, 03:18 am »
Drop me a Pm
I don't live too far from Gary Dodd.
 :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2012, 03:25 am »
Get a hold of a Dallas Observer newpaper.  It will have a big entertainment section to include all the hip joints.  Lower Greenville Ave and lower McKinney got cool bars and speciality cafes.  The Grape on lower Greenville, is one example.  You can get some info online at the Dallas Observer, I just checked.  There are also some joints and cafes just east of downtown on Elm Street.  It's a good town.  Enjoy yourself.

I'd give Art a call as suggested, if it were me, and if you hook up, lemme know cause I got a one of a kind Mexican restaurant for you nearby him.  Trung, too.  Hey man.

TrungT

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2012, 03:38 am »
Hi Jim.
LSAF just right around the corner.   :wink:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2012, 03:39 am »
Thanks for thinkin of me, T.

Delacroix

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2012, 04:01 am »
Thanks folks -- good suggestions. I'll not be alone for much of the week so I don't plan to inflict us on any of you and it won't be simple to get out by myself so mostly am looking to see the sights and hear the music. Seems like there's stuff happening there!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2012, 05:11 am »
The Village in Highland Park is the oldest shopping center in the country if I'm not mistaken and it ain't a mall.  Certainly they will have a fine restaurant or two.  Highland Park is Dallas' old money.  I grew up just south of HP in Oak Lawn.  Inner North Dallas is where all these districts I've recommended are save for "Deep Ellum", that's downtown.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2012, 07:38 am by jimdgoulding »

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2012, 08:50 am »
don't forget sundance square and the stockyards in fort worth.

soulforged

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2012, 03:53 pm »
Hi good ppl

Bumping up this topic rather than start a new one.

I'd be in Dallas for a couple of weeks on business. Assuming I'd have a couple of evenings and a weekend to myself, would love to go check some good equipment. Please suggest me some showrooms where I could go audition some good stuff. I'd most likely be parked in Irving. Does that area have some good options?

More than eclectic brands, I'd rather visit places where I could chat up with some knowlegable folks who won't mind me hanging around (you know what I mean  :wink:)

Looking forward to be there....

Cheers!