Philharmonic Audio Model 3

Rocket

Re: Philharmonic Audio Model 3
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2012, 04:00 am »
Hi,

Just wondering what you have compared the philharmonic speakers with and specifically whether they were salk sound speakers?  I have a pair of HT2's and I'm interested in a comparison if possible.

Cheers Rod

fsimms

« Reply #21 on: 11 Aug 2012, 05:01 pm »
I have not heard the Phil 3s or the Salk HT2s but I have had a Salk HT1 which I am sure sounded a lot like HT2s and have had Phil 2s in my system for a couple of weeks a while ago.  The midrange of my HT1 was a little crisper than neutral but it had as much excitement as live music.  The Philharmonic 2 was dead neutral but not as exciting.  Reducing the stuffing in the Phils increased the excitement much more.  Then it was close to as exciting as the HT1s.  Playing songs on both speakers I would guess that half might sound better on the HT2s and half would sound better on the Phils.  Playing classical music or natural sounds I am sure that the Phils would win each time.  I have SoundScapes that have the same RAAL tweeter that the HT2s have.  It is a slightly better tweeter than the RAAL that the Phils have.   The Salk RAAL covers lower treble frequencies and is better than any midrange that I have heard.  The Salk finish is one of the best of the industry.   If it was me, I would get the Phil 3s as I would prefer using it with TV and movies as natural sounds are so real.  If I just used it with typical songs then it would be a tough choice.

Bob

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 11 Aug 2012, 06:20 pm »
I heard them (3s) vs. the Salk Soundscape 10s back to back at the Capital Audiofest just over a year ago.  The Philharmics are very impressive for the price.  When I heard them, I though the price was for each, not the pair.  I was shocked at the price per pair.

Rocket

« Reply #23 on: 12 Aug 2012, 02:42 am »
Hi,

I keep toying with the idea of purchasing a pair of philharmonic speakers.  Thanks for your comments.

Cheers Rod

Saturn94

« Reply #24 on: 25 Aug 2012, 02:28 am »
Hi,

Just wondering what you have compared the philharmonic speakers with and specifically whether they were salk sound speakers?  I have a pair of HT2's and I'm interested in a comparison if possible.

Cheers Rod

I a bit late here, but I was able to directly compare a prototype of the Phil2 (the prototype used a BG10 mid rather than the BG8 used in the production version; Dennis said they sounded the same so he went with the more economical BG8) with the Salk HT2-TL at an audition at Dennis' place.

I was a tough choice choosing which I preferred.  Both were excellent.  With some material I preferred the Phil, and some the Salk.  In the end cosmetics tipped the scale towards the Salk (of course those good looks cost much more than the Phil) and I thought the HT2-TL would be better for my space (a bit smaller than Dennis' living room).  IMO, the open back design of the Phil benefits from a bit of breathing room.

I think if you like your Salks you will also like the Phils, after all, they do share a parent. :wink:

Rocket

« Reply #25 on: 25 Aug 2012, 01:25 pm »
Hi,

It looks like I might as well stay with the HT2 and just add a salk subwoofer at some chage to augment my bass response.

Thank you for your help.

Regards Rod

Stercom

« Reply #26 on: 11 Oct 2014, 09:50 am »
Update regarding my Philharmonic Audio Model 3 review. I've owned these speakers for close to 3 years now. They are still one of the best values in audio in my opinion. I've added some "tweaks" that I want to share. First, as I indicated in my original review, spikes really help the sound. Now, however, I've put them on IsoAcoustic IsoL8r speaker bases. Here is a link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ISOL8R200Sub  The speaker bases isolate the speakers even more which opens the soundstage and solidifies the bass. Second, I took the speaker wire jumpers that connect the top unit with the bass cabinet out of the system and wired them directly. This added transparency especially in the midrange. Finally, I took out the dampening sheet between the top unit/bass cabinet and replaced it with Herbie's IsoCups.  All of these "tweaks" are simple and make a great speaker even better!!

Pic of them on the IsoAcoustic IsoL8r speaker bases

Dmac99

« Reply #27 on: 18 Feb 2016, 03:01 am »
These look very interesting. I am curious as to how they perform with different types of music and would like to hear experiences from those who have heard them.i listen to a wide variety. Jazz old and new rock from every era. In particular I was wondering how they do with rock at higher volume. I have a pair of Polk SDA1Cs right now and like the volume that they can produce in standard mode without the sda cable. Never blairing. I have no experience with this new type of midrange and wanted to see how it performs with loud rock. Any experiences that you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks. Dmac

Art_Chicago

« Reply #28 on: 24 Feb 2016, 08:56 pm »
These look very interesting. I am curious as to how they perform with different types of music and would like to hear experiences from those who have heard them.i listen to a wide variety. Jazz old and new rock from every era. In particular I was wondering how they do with rock at higher volume. I have a pair of Polk SDA1Cs right now and like the volume that they can produce in standard mode without the sda cable. Never blairing. I have no experience with this new type of midrange and wanted to see how it performs with loud rock. Any experiences that you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks. Dmac

Let us keep this topic alive!

Rocket

« Reply #29 on: 24 Feb 2016, 11:45 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering if there is a problem with supply of the midrange?  I heard the company who supplies these closed business.  If so what is in the pipeline as an alternative.

Cheers Rod

charmerci

« Reply #30 on: 25 Feb 2016, 12:30 am »
Hi,

Just wondering if there is a problem with supply of the midrange?  I heard the company who supplies these closed business.  If so what is in the pipeline as an alternative.

Cheers Rod

You can go on his website and ask him - but I think he found a stash and so he can still build a few of them.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #31 on: 25 Feb 2016, 12:38 am »
Hi,

Cheers Rod

Well-  theare are rumors. Hopefully Dennis will respond.

charmerci

« Reply #32 on: 25 Feb 2016, 12:51 am »
Well-  theare are rumors. Hopefully Dennis will respond.

From the AVSforum

01-24-2016, 02:55 PM

[size=1.5rem]Dennis Murphy[/size]
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rumors of the Phil3's demise have been somewhat exaggerated. Although it did look like the new owners of BG Radia were going to shut down sales of planar drivers to 3rd parties, Parts Express has signed a contract with Christie Corp. to sell the Neo 8 and possibly other drivers. They won't be up and running for a month or two, but I will be able to take new orders for Phil 3's.

Stercom

« Reply #33 on: 25 Feb 2016, 01:14 am »

Thanks. Dmac

Dmac - Frankly, these are not the best speakers for loud rock. Don't get me wrong, they would sound fine, but I'm guessing they wouldn't hit the SPLs (sound pressure levels) or extreme chest pounding bass you would want. I actually owned the Polk SDA1cs for awhile and the Philharmonics are a much different sounding speaker - I just don't want you to be disappointed.  Scott

Stercom

« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 2016, 11:10 pm »
I just wanted to add I've recently had a number of "tweaks" in and out of my system. The Phil 3s never failed to reveal the change - no matter how subtle it was - whether it was in the bass, midrange or treble. Its a very well designed speaker - no doubt.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2016, 01:09 am by Stercom »