I did have some N3 speakers at RMAF

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
I did have some N3 speakers at RMAF
« on: 14 Oct 2014, 06:05 pm »
They were on loan to Mockingbird Audio. It was a last minute deal when the speakers he intended to use didn't arrive.

There were some issues with his gear and integration that did not allow the N3's to perform to their usual levels. Phillip used an all analog front end that was really nice. However the solid state phono pre-amp was was picking up a huge hum from something. And moving it around changed the sound of the hum, but it wouldn't go away. And it was pretty bad. So he switched to a tube based phono pre-amp that had a really nice sound but no bottom end. The bottom end was really thin and thumpy. The bass textures were just not there. We added a servo sub to the bock of the room and had it cranked up, but it hardly moved. There was just no low bass signal.

Just as a check we plugged Phillip's iPod into the main amp and played some MP3's. The bottom end was there in spades and pounded the little room well even without the servo sub. That might have been the only pounding they gave all weekend.  :(

So before you guys tell be how thin they sounded, yes I know. 

Phillip had a good show though and lined up several reviews for the turn table, tone arms, and cartridges he was offering.