jparkhur

Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2014, 01:16 am »

HAL has them.  HAL?
« Last Edit: 21 May 2014, 07:47 pm by jparkhur »

ebag4

« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2014, 01:40 am »
Jon/Danny, how tall is the baffle, 24"??  If so, you could put the baffle directly on top of an H frame at ~28", assuming the 24" baffle that would put the center of the NEO3 at 40", the same height used on the OB5.

Folsom

« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2014, 03:03 am »
I meant 150hz with 4. It's easier to integrate with less aggressive crossovers from what I can tell.

Either way, this looks pretty cool. I think a non array is a little more unique at this point.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2014, 03:22 am »
The three 8" servo's in the open baffle sound great to me with the prototype 8" servo amps.  The baffles have small wings on either side of the 3 servo drivers.   

Beardy

« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2014, 03:38 am »
using the MMTMM on the top of two (or three), 8 inch servo drivers oriented backwards and forwards in H frames like your Super V, or for a slightly shorter arrangement, in a V configuration like the LX521.  This might keep the size and cost lower, yet provide the `fast' base you are looking for at the cost of some extension into the lowest frequencies.  It also keeps the system relatively small and there is the WAF aspect to consider.

As an aside I assume there are many more potential customers looking for something special in the 1k price range than there are in the 2k+ price range, so its really a question of what sonic compromise you make and perhaps the solution is to offer multiple driver options around the MMTMM basic building block.
One could also look at the MMTMM as a desktop mount part of a 2.1 system with a single sub for a `home office', which I would guess has a potentially significant place in the market...

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2014, 03:55 am »
Forgive me if I am misunderstanding something but from what I think you have claimed so far is you have a potential world class configuration using 5 drivers and some subs that need to reach up to 200hz. Is this correct?

Or is there a suckout below 200hz that cannot be addressed with a sub and you must provide a solution that unfortunately requires 16 additional LGKs per side? Talk about diminishing returns!!!!!

I hope the former and not the latter! Surely you can come up with something else for us tight of fist and thin of wallet???? :)

Some other thoughts I have related to kits would be is the wave guide feature of the front baffle going to be something basic diy-ers will be able to pull off with normal garage tools? Perhaps the tweeter and the wave guide can be bought as a kit and the rest of our diy baffle attached to it? Obviously providing complete front baffles or flat-packs are another solution that should be considered.

If the additional 16 LGKs are truly the ultimate solution, perhaps they could also be added to the baffle at a later date when funds are available?

I don't have much wisdom regarding the particular problem you need to solve but I find the thread very interesting and am really enjoying the proposals being offered.

Perhaps you experts could highlight the potential positives and negatives of each suggestion? Hopefully in a manner that does not discourage us wannabees from trying to participate. :?

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2014, 04:22 am »
I decided to sit on the sidelines a little bit and see what the initial thoughts were from the regulars.

I'll hit a few of the questions now...

When you say baffle size has to stay the same, does that mean baffle width?  Or does that mean baffle height too?

The front width and side panels MUST remain as shown for it to work. It could get taller vertically with little effect other than a slight increase in output in the ranges below 300Hz or so, but not much.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #27 on: 21 May 2014, 04:24 am »
How is your stock of the V2 woofers, and could they be utilized in a lower cost kit?  Not everyone wants to drop an extra $1k on a servo sub option.

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 21 May 2014, 04:28 am »
What about two designs, one the $3,300 21 driver towers with separate OB subwoofers like Danny mentioned and a second model that would consist of the 5 driver OB sections pictured sitting above an enclosure with two 8" servo subs. You could use a stand of some type to decouple the upper section from the lower one, similar to the Linkwitz LX521.

Yes, a model could be offered as an array and one setting on top of a three 8" servo sub set up. It would have to be a lot more solid than the design mentioned though.

A three woofer H frame set of 8" woofers does make an almost ideal height for a stand. It will look a little funky, but it would sound awesome. I feel like I have to figure out a way for that concept to not look way too odd though.

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 21 May 2014, 04:32 am »
Danny, how would these compare with the coax of the V1?  Would the music still have the same weight from 200Hz and up?

These sound much faster then the V-1 drivers and way more detailed. Vocals especially just make you take a double take. Smooth, airy, natural, and musical. 

Most of that weight is going to come from the servo woofers playing up to that 200Hz range. I am playing it now with one of the sub towers of the LSX speakers and it sounds solid from top to bottom.

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2014, 04:37 am »
Jon/Danny, how tall is the baffle, 24"??  If so, you could put the baffle directly on top of an H frame at ~28", assuming the 24" baffle that would put the center of the NEO3 at 40", the same height used on the OB5.

It is 20.25" tall. Plus a base (bottom panel) the center of the tweeter is only about 11" up. So it does work out well for setting on a H frame that is 28" or so (maybe a little less).

The 8" woofers could even go into a triple stacked into a W style frame to make it shorter.

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2014, 04:45 am »
Good questions....

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding something but from what I think you have claimed so far is you have a potential world class configuration using 5 drivers and some subs that need to reach up to 200hz. Is this correct?

Yep.

Or is there a suckout below 200hz that cannot be addressed with a sub and you must provide a solution that unfortunately requires 16 additional LGKs per side? Talk about diminishing returns!!!!!

Our servo subs can play as high as 300Hz. And a 200Hz crossover point has been the more ideal crossover location though. So that isn't a problem.

I hope the former and not the latter! Surely you can come up with something else for us tight of fist and thin of wallet???? :)

I think so.

Some other thoughts I have related to kits would be is the wave guide feature of the front baffle going to be something basic diy-ers will be able to pull off with normal garage tools? Perhaps the tweeter and the wave guide can be bought as a kit and the rest of our diy baffle attached to it? Obviously providing complete front baffles or flat-packs are another solution that should be considered.

Already knew the baffle would have to be part of the kit. It is too tough for the average guy to make.

If the additional 16 LGKs are truly the ultimate solution, perhaps they could also be added to the baffle at a later date when funds are available?

Not likely to be modular. But if moving to a design like that then building the whole one piece baffle will much easier than figuring out a modular add on.

I don't have much wisdom regarding the particular problem you need to solve but I find the thread very interesting and am really enjoying the proposals being offered.

I thought I'd see what the feedback was before hand this time. I usually don't do that. But this center section worked out really well and I think has some flexibility to be used in several different designs.

Perhaps you experts could highlight the potential positives and negatives of each suggestion? Hopefully in a manner that does not discourage us wannabees from trying to participate. :?

:thumb:

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2014, 04:47 am »
How is your stock of the V2 woofers, and could they be utilized in a lower cost kit?  Not everyone wants to drop an extra $1k on a servo sub option.

That's actually a really good idea. I have a lot of those 12" woofers on hand. They are pretty cheap at just $75 each. The have a tiny Neo magnet that lets them be mounted at a 45 degree angle. And they can be powered with an inexpensive plate amp with a bass boost circuit.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2014, 05:05 am »
That's actually a really good idea. I have a lot of those 12" woofers on hand. They are pretty cheap at just $75 each. The have a tinny Neo magnet that lets them be mounted at a 45 degree angle. And they can be powered with an inexpensive plate amp with a bass boost circuit.
I remember when you made that buy, and since you can't get the coax any more, this would a good place to use "dead" inventory.  And BTW, I usually resist correcting spelling/typos, but tinny has a negative connotation... you mean tiny.☺

ebag4

« Reply #34 on: 21 May 2014, 05:12 am »
The spacing of the drivers is greater than what I have typically seen you use, is this spacing crucial to the design or could someone move the drivers closer together to save some height for bass solutions that may be maxing out tweeter height otherwise?

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2014, 05:16 am »
I remember when you made that buy, and since you can't get the coax any more, this would a good place to use "dead" inventory.  And BTW, I usually resist correcting spelling/typos, but tinny has a negative connotation... you mean tiny.☺

Yeah, and I am really good at typo's.

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2014, 05:18 am »
The spacing of the drivers is greater than what I have typically seen you use, is this spacing crucial to the design or could someone move the drivers closer together to save some height for bass solutions that may be maxing out tweeter height otherwise?

Actually the spacing is pretty tight. There probably isn't a 1/4" between each of the drivers frames.

Early B.

« Reply #37 on: 21 May 2014, 11:37 am »
Danny -- For those of us who have servo subs already, will there be an option to purchase only the mid/tweeter section? If not, do you have plans to design an open baffle monitor (and/or kit) using any of your new drivers?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 21 May 2014, 12:43 pm »
Danny -- For those of us who have servo subs already, will there be an option to purchase only the mid/tweeter section? If not, do you have plans to design an open baffle monitor (and/or kit) using any of your new drivers?

Another benefit would be a lower cost of entry with a natural upgrade path.

Someone could stand mount the 5 driver mid/tweeter and mate it with whatever sub they want/already have then upgrade the sub(s) as funds permit.

jparkhur

« Reply #39 on: 21 May 2014, 12:56 pm »

Maybe there could be a baffle exchange?  Or just sell your baffle to the next person?  We will need to adjust XO parts due to the new drivers added.  You may be able to reuse your old XO parts if you planned this ahead of time.

P
« Last Edit: 21 May 2014, 07:48 pm by jparkhur »