A new product is in the works that just might change a few things... Gone!!!

Folsom

Problem with some digital sources is that their SMPS do not take too kindly to a capacitive input.  For example: my Mac mini sounds better plugged directly into the wall for AC input... at least until it met the DigiBUSS.  IME, most small SMPS respond much better to input polarity proper inductive loads than a capacitive load like the Uber.  It is all about input impedance matching.

What digital source are you running?

The impedance will be higher with a CMC inline the SMPS's operating frequency. But that doesn't mean your benefit isn't from a greatly reduced amount of common mode noise that SMPS's itty bitty transformers can crank out.

Dave, I understand if you don't want to answer but I've got to ask, a 2nd order crossover (traditional) would have 1100uf~... that's too much for line, so?

Tomy2Tone

POOGE = Progressive Optimization Of Otherwise Generic Equipment.  He dun gud.

Pretty sure that's in Webster's... :D

Have you compared the Busstop side by side to the Surgex by ZenWave as far as listening impressions go?  Or are you alluding to the surge protection the Surgex offers. I like the Stop because I can hide it behind the rack.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Nice to see you back in the saddle, Dave.  :thumb:

I can't wait to find out what's new.

Have fun,

Jerry

rogerdn

Thank you, Roger.   :thumb:

I am someday going to get to hear your system.  Hopefully we will be vacationing close to you this coming winter.

Hope you can work that out Dave.

sfox7076

Would there be any benefit from plugging an LPS into this new unit over the Uber?  I have an LPS that runs my MacMini and my Phono Pre.  Currently it is plugged into the uber.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Would there be any benefit from plugging an LPS into this new unit over the Uber?  I have an LPS that runs my MacMini and my Phono Pre.  Currently it is plugged into the uber.
It will work better in conjunction with an Uber, but will be a great stand alone addition to most systems.

Its' strongest application is to prevent interference from being back fed into the surrounding devices.  It began as a filter to keep all of the noise from my office computer system and all of the USB chargers that live in the office out of our electrical system.

[ I wince every time I see one of the new electrical receptacles with an onboard USB charger.  What everyone needs: the cheapest (noisiest) USB little radio station and EMI generator possible]

One of my acquaintances told me about he was going to have one of these always on pieces-o-crap installed in every room of his house.   :duh:

All of my products are meant to be adjuncts to each other.

FWIW, of all of the things that I love about my mini - its' self noise ain't one of 'em. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Dave,
Looks very interesting for the PC Music Servers as well with the brick SMPS.

sfox7076

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
So?
Great record by Peter Gabriel  :thumb:

I'm still waiting on a quote.  I'll post as soon as I know.

:sad:

mdconnelly

Dave,

If you still have room in your initial 10, count me in on the DigiBuss (as well as your DC hum eliminator when you get to that).   Can't believe I missed this thread earlier when you first posted it.   I'll PM this as well.

Thanks!
Mike

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Looks like the final cost will be $349.00.  The initial run of ten will be $299.00.  Wait a few days until I am sure.   :)

sfox7076

So as I understand this (and when I get one (heh)).  I plug this into the uber and then plug all the wall warts into it?  Better to plug it into the wall and then the uber into it? Would the LPS benefit from being plugged into the uber or this? 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
So as I understand this (and when I get one (heh)).  I plug this into the uber and then plug all the wall warts into it?  Better to plug it into the wall and then the uber into it? Would the LPS benefit from being plugged into the uber or this?
As always I advise to try every configuration to get the best sound from YOUR system, but the design intention is for digital gear to be plugged directly into the DigiBUSS.  This will keep backfed digital hash out of the rest of the system.

nrenter

So could a DigiBuss be integrated into an UberBuss for application-optimized outlets? Digital / pre-amp (/phono pre-amp) and power-amp (/ integrated amp) optimized outlets?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
So could a DigiBuss be integrated into an UberBuss for application-optimized outlets? Digital / pre-amp (/phono pre-amp) and power-amp (/ integrated amp) optimized outlets?
It would require a much bigger enclosure.  The Uber is FULL!  With infinite time and unlimited money anything can be done!  :lol: :lol:

Seriously, now: sure.  I'll have to figure out the ultimate size of the inductor module squeezed down to fit.  Can do.

mdconnelly

Realistically, I have things all over my house that could be injecting digital hash into my electrical lines.  Would an ultimate solution be to use a DigiBuss on every computer, laptop, router, game console, TV, DAC, etc... in the home?   Would that be likely to afford a significantly greater sonic improvement than just using one for the digital components on my main audio rig?   

Seems like it would be an interesting experiment to find those digital sources that are contributing the most hash.  Is there a way to find those worst culprits other than just by moving a DigiBuss around and listening?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
An interesting experiment might be use an AM radio tuned between stations and put it near the noise sources.  Without moving the volume control see which ones make the most noise from the radio. 

The frequency range you can check is 530KHz to 1600KHz with the dial.  A HAM radio might be better for a wider range.  Most SMPS will probably have HF noise in that range.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Realistically, I have things all over my house that could be injecting digital hash into my electrical lines.  Would an ultimate solution be to use a DigiBuss on every computer, laptop, router, game console, TV, DAC, etc... in the home?   Would that be likely to afford a significantly greater sonic improvement than just using one for the digital components on my main audio rig?   

Seems like it would be an interesting experiment to find those digital sources that are contributing the most hash.  Is there a way to find those worst culprits other than just by moving a DigiBuss around and listening?
  What I did was to move everything that I possibly could into my Lab/office.  All of the phone SMPS, camera battery chargers, iPad /Kindle charges, router, AirPort Extreme and every other small SMPS etc, are in here.  Those and my Mac are plugged into a MiniBUSS and prototype DigiBUSS.  Makes a big difference.  Attacking a problem at the source is the best way to fight that problem.  That is something that many have not yet figured out in audio and other issues.

I have issued a moratorium on electrical receptacles with integral USB outputs.  :green:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
An interesting experiment might be use an AM radio tuned between stations and put it near the noise sources.  Without moving the volume control see which ones make the most noise from the radio. 

The frequency range you can check is 530KHz to 1600KHz with the dial.  A HAM radio might be better for a wider range.  Most SMPS will probably have HF noise in that range.
My old Sunfire amp was such a noise generator that it would cause hash on the TV.  Doing what you suggest will also show just how noisy some linear supplies are, too.

Noise - our enemy. 

ebag4

I have issued a moratorium on electrical receptacles with integral USB outputs.  :green:
Hi Dave, are these units worse that the usb chargers that you would plug into an outlet?  I have one of the integrated units.

Best,
Ed