My new Beta 12LTA over H-frame Alpha build

Poultrygeist

Re: My new Beta 12LTA over H-frame Alpha build
« Reply #40 on: 11 Sep 2012, 06:33 pm »
I'm testing the Bohlender Graebener planar teeters and so far so good. Driving them with their own t-amp and I'm sure I have them padded down way too much. They sound so airy it's scary :D

Poultrygeist

« Reply #41 on: 11 Sep 2012, 06:42 pm »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #42 on: 11 Sep 2012, 06:54 pm »

this_is_vv

« Reply #43 on: 11 Sep 2012, 07:19 pm »
i like what i see....worth the investment so far?....whats the frequency u have crsossed it to??

V

this_is_vv

« Reply #44 on: 13 Sep 2012, 08:54 pm »

Poultrygeist

« Reply #45 on: 15 Sep 2012, 05:08 am »
V,

I've got an order coming from PE and so far I'm experimenting with a simple first order. Everything I try sounds great.  These are the best tweeters I've ever heard.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #46 on: 21 Sep 2012, 01:22 am »
I relocated the tweeters so that nothing obstructs their rear waves. With the Neo3 there's alot more going on up there than shimmering cymbals.   :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #47 on: 21 Sep 2012, 01:55 am »
It probably helps a little not to have those parallel surfaces of the supports so close to the rear aperture, too. The standing wave across that 2.5" or so would create a sound of its own.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #48 on: 21 Sep 2012, 11:28 am »
So how would you mount them?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #49 on: 21 Sep 2012, 04:35 pm »
Well I'm saying that the rear reflection consideration is probably moot now that you have the tweeter mounted as it is now, but if you wanted a sturdier mount like the first, I would bevel the insides of the small (3/4" X 3/4"?) uprights and/or attach some kind of absorption like foam or felt to the inside surfaces.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #50 on: 2 Oct 2012, 01:29 am »
This single post mount seems to work fine.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #51 on: 2 Oct 2012, 01:31 am »

this_is_vv

« Reply #52 on: 2 Oct 2012, 03:16 am »

hows ur review for the entire system now?

V

Poultrygeist

« Reply #53 on: 2 Oct 2012, 12:14 pm »
These are the best speakers I've ever owned and far more enjoyable than the Zu's and Aerial Acoustics I sold not long ago. Beside their huge sound stage their key attribute is how the music sounds so "live". This is a worn out adjective with open baffles but it's still the best way to describe it.

I often listen to MJQ and am blown away by the way the Neo3s float notes from Milt's vibes...almost like soap bubbles of sound hanging in mid-air I could reach out and touch.

I'm running the Betas full range straight off the amp without any correction in the signal path and love the sound I'm getting. I believe the mods and phase plug addition have made the difference. BSC as I understand it is also amp and room dependent.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #54 on: 15 Oct 2012, 12:51 pm »
I am trying a Behringer electronic crossover with the Betas and Neo 3s and so far so good. The two Dayton amps are driving and controlling the Alphas independently with their built in crossovers.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #55 on: 15 Oct 2012, 12:59 pm »
The Daytons are on the floor.

this_is_vv

« Reply #56 on: 15 Oct 2012, 03:22 pm »
Seems like you like Electronic crossover....i cant imagine working without it anymore....

Good stuff...

V

Poultrygeist

« Reply #57 on: 21 Oct 2012, 11:15 pm »
The active crossover makes it so much easier to integrate the 3 ways. I just picked up a new Behringer CX3400 3 way off ebay for $119.

I'm looking hard at the Yung Class D plate amps at PE to replace the Dayton APA150's.

Small, powerful, quiet and cool running are great features of class D plate amps.

LynX

« Reply #58 on: 22 Oct 2012, 09:08 am »
I would also agree that active crossovers make a huge difference. However, I would like to say that I have the cx3400 currently in my setup and am smothered with quality problems. For instance left channel mid looses proper output until warmed up and then works correctly. The limiter feature kicks on as a hard clip instead. The adjustments are not very accurate. The list goes on. As far as the good; it sure does come with a lot of features for very little money. And it does work good and sound pretty well. Spending some extra money with better reliability would be a good idea.
When the cx3400 was new I had no problems with it whats over, but after  a year a whole bunch of problems started to show up. Good but still inexpensive choices are dbx 234, rane ac22 or 23, etc.
Not trying to bash any ones gear but spending a little more might last you and serve you better in the long run. I sure do wish I could have made the right choice the first time.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #59 on: 22 Oct 2012, 11:46 am »
Yes, from what I've read Behringer xo'ers can have issues and aren't long lived. You can also read about issues with other pro-audio actives such as Rane and dbx as well. I hope to use the $119 CX3400 as a transition piece to a Marchand.