Fantastic review Chord/Omega Combo

Louis O

Fantastic review Chord/Omega Combo
« on: 14 Nov 2017, 11:57 pm »
Hi ray-dude,

Many thanks for one of the best and most complete reviews of the SAM, Chord/Omega combo.

I learned so much.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-hugo-2.22209/reviews#review-19435

Thanks again,
Louis

Folsom

Re: Fantastic review Chord/Omega Combo
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2017, 01:22 am »
Congrats, super cool.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2017, 01:32 am »
Wow, very nice!  :thumb:

rghanbari

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2017, 01:37 am »
My pleasure Louis!  A remarkable experience, and one I think everyone should seek out.  The magic of all the pieces coming together was completely unexpected, and revelatory.  Louis' design philosophy of simplicity and speed paired with the Chord kit took each up 10x.

For those in SoCal, I know it is hard to get access to Omega's out here (I've been wanting to audition the SAMs forever).  Drop a line if you're Omega-curious and we can try to schedule a meet up or something.

Ray

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2017, 06:28 pm »
This is an interesting topic.  I know people have been using Chord DAC/HP amps direct to speakers for a while.  I own a Chord Mojo, which has a 3V 5V output (according to designer Robb Watts) and two parallel HP/Preamp outputs.

My normal method of connection has been to connect to either a Red Wine Audio Signature 16 or a 421A SET, then to a pair of Omega Super 3HO Monitors I am still breaking in.  I found that I can use the Chord just as effectively as a preamp, though Chord's insistence on being unconventional makes volume control a little counterintuitive.  In this configuration, the Chord direct to the 421A has been giving me the best high end and surprisingly better bass than the more powerful RWA.

I also own a pair of SAM's and a pair of Rythmik F8 subwoofers.  It occurred to me that I can use the dual outputs from the Chord Mojo to feed both the 421A amp (which has its own pot) and the subwoofers, each of which has a variable input.  I can set the relative gain and then control volume from the Chord.  When the Chord Poly ships, I can (theoretically) control volume from the app (or Roon).

With the Mojo/Poly combo, I could have a battery-powered, completely portable Roon endpoint.
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2017, 01:58 pm by roscoe65 »

rghanbari

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2017, 08:33 pm »

The Mojo was just too thin (for me) to drive the SAMs direct (poor guy).  Have you tried it and did it work for you in your setup?

I thought the Hugo2 direct to the SAMs was a revelation, if you could manage volume levels and listened to less congested music.  DAVE direct trumped them all (basically no compromise), but is obviously significantly more expensive.  Hugo2 direct was amazing enough that (if I didn't have a DAVE), I would change the type of music I listen to be able to get that kind of sound all the time.

Docere

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2017, 08:29 am »
Very thorough review. The Chord digital stuff is supposed to be very nice - I'm considering DAVE to replace my current DAC, though will need to travel to hear it. I'm also considering Omega AlNiCo driver speakers... though would ideally like custom omnis. Need to get my amps sorted first. Unfortunately, too much work at present; too little fun.  :cry:

...I would change the type of music I listen to be able to get that kind of sound all the time.

Interesting approach - music in the service of sound, if I understand correctly. My approach is different: to build a system that allows me to connect with music - system (or perhaps its "sound") in the service of music.

Enjoy,
Ray.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2017, 11:29 am »
Paths crossing here.

Interesting, as I'm a (less efficient) single driver owner who uses Temple Audio 70 watt mono-blocks (which I love).  Listen near-field ala Cardas room/setup design.  Tried a Chord Qute EX but the needed Mac driver was unavailable at the time.  :( 

Also had a Schiit Gungnir MB here but sent it back (made roughly 30% of my CD collection sound worse and only 10% sound better than a cheaper DSPeaker).  I'm a balanced design (lower noise) fan as I also have active monitors (with XLR connectors).

rghanbari

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2017, 05:28 am »
Very thorough review. The Chord digital stuff is supposed to be very nice - I'm considering DAVE to replace my current DAC, though will need to travel to hear it. I'm also considering Omega AlNiCo driver speakers... though would ideally like custom omnis. Need to get my amps sorted first. Unfortunately, too much work at present; too little fun.  :cry:

Interesting approach - music in the service of sound, if I understand correctly. My approach is different: to build a system that allows me to connect with music - system (or perhaps its "sound") in the service of music.

For me, it is more like music in the service of emotion (if that makes sense).  I find the emotion being conveyed so strong in the reproduction, it overwhelms the emotion I would normally feel from music genres I enjoy.

An analogy would be listening to recorded music you enjoy vs having a live musician in your living room.  The live musician may be playing things outside your normal preference, but would you ask them to leave so you could play your usual favorites?  Tough call, esp. if they've moved in ;) 

Obviously, the best of all worlds is to get that kind of amazing emotional lift for the music you already enjoy.  I've found I still listen to the same things, but the mix of what I listen to has significantly changed, mainly because I'm connecting to certain types of pieces more.  This is a very strange (and unexpected) experience for me (I was in the same camp that you described for yourself), but pretty fun to be able to explore this!

Docere

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2017, 08:43 am »
The desire for emotional connection is (pretty-much) a given, but I guess there are people out there for whom music is just a tool or listening is largely "cerebral".

I think I understand better your relationship with reproduction systems and music: you are listening to a different selection of music because the quality of reproduction is allowing you to connect more strongly with certain pieces that you may not have been familiar with and that you are perhaps seeking out these types of pieces. That is a cool thing about a system change... in your case it sounds like a great change!

One of the things I like about my current system is the ease of communication with a diverse range of music; even though production differences are obvious the music is still wonderful. The desire to reproduce certain types of music well is essentially a non-issue for me these days. I guess that is what I meant by a system in service of music: a system that reproduces a large variety of music in a way that conveys the musicians' intent and stirs the emotions, often. It is in service to music broadly, not just “my preferred” music.

That said, I very much enjoy music through a little blutooth speaker, average car system, and cheap headphones, so maybe I'm full of... :oops: or perhaps my “attachment” to music reproduction is just different these days.  :scratch:

Nice to chat... even if it has kept me away from amp chassis design. :D Keep well and enjoy!

Ray
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2017, 11:18 am by Docere »

witchdoctor

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2017, 03:21 pm »
When I read that review it really says a lot about your speakers quality. Nice job :thumb:

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2017, 09:58 pm »
Hi witchdoctor,

Thanks and very kind of you. This is about the best review I have ever read. Very well done.

Thanks again,
Louis

rghanbari

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2018, 05:27 am »

Folks,

I did a followup to my first review, adding the Chord Blu2 digital/CD transport to the party.  See here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-blu-mk-ii-digital-cd-transport.22848/reviews#review-19675

As I mentioned to Louis, the Omega SAMs were the only piece of kit that I had that did not hit a hard scaling wall with the BluDAVE.  It is a testament to Louis' design philosophy and impeccable execution withf these speakers that they scale so spectacularly when so many other amazing pieces of kit hit their hard limits.  Amazing stuff

Ray

doggie

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2018, 02:20 pm »
For me, it is more like music in the service of emotion (if that makes sense).  I find the emotion being conveyed so strong in the reproduction, it overwhelms the emotion I would normally feel from music genres I enjoy.

An analogy would be listening to recorded music you enjoy vs having a live musician in your living room.  The live musician may be playing things outside your normal preference, but would you ask them to leave so you could play your usual favorites?  Tough call, esp. if they've moved in ;) 

Obviously, the best of all worlds is to get that kind of amazing emotional lift for the music you already enjoy.  I've found I still listen to the same things, but the mix of what I listen to has significantly changed, mainly because I'm connecting to certain types of pieces more.  This is a very strange (and unexpected) experience for me (I was in the same camp that you described for yourself), but pretty fun to be able to explore this!

Great review. Would you mind describing you near-field setup?

doggie

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2018, 02:28 pm »
OK. So I am going to respond to my own question. Using the magic of Google I typed in "Cardas near-field" and low and behold my wish was granted.

I have been struggling with my set up for a while trying to get a good center fill. I always figured that with my system in a non-dedicated space that room acoustics were holding me back. I tried adding some treatments but still felt that something was limiting what should be a great system. I also experimented with speaker placement a bit but never really tried moves that were satisfactory.

Based upon the Cardas article I moved my speakers further out into the room and pulled in my couch until I had close to the recommended triangle. Speakers are slightly turned in.

I was rewarded with a remarkable improvement in nearly every way: better center fill, better instrument localization, and even better perceived dynamics.

This was one of the best tweaks I have ever come across and was the cheapest.

The Omegas work great for "near-field"!

Thanks!

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2018, 02:27 pm »
intertubez ftw!

enjoy, doggie!

doody

guf

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2018, 04:33 pm »
OK. So I am going to respond to my own question. Using the magic of Google I typed in "Cardas near-field" and low and behold my wish was granted.

I have been struggling with my set up for a while trying to get a good center fill. I always figured that with my system in a non-dedicated space that room acoustics were holding me back. I tried adding some treatments but still felt that something was limiting what should be a great system. I also experimented with speaker placement a bit but never really tried moves that were satisfactory.

Based upon the Cardas article I moved my speakers further out into the room and pulled in my couch until I had close to the recommended triangle. Speakers are slightly turned in.

I was rewarded with a remarkable improvement in nearly every way: better center fill, better instrument localization, and even better perceived dynamics.

This was one of the best tweaks I have ever come across and was the cheapest.

The Omegas work great for "near-field"!

Thanks!

Sorry I never shared my experience with you about this. I sit at the in the front 38% spot in my room 19 by 13 foot room. My Omegas are 3 feet from the from wall. Then I use a 5 foot equilateral triangle, slightly toed in. I shared months ago that listening near field was the biggest improvement since bass traps. I would say center fill and depth are the strong points of my system.