My 2nd pair of Hyperion 938s

PaulFolbrecht

My 2nd pair of Hyperion 938s
« on: 17 Jun 2008, 07:02 pm »
Hi all,

I thought I'd post about the fact that I just bought a pair of 938s - my second pair.  I bought a new pair just under two years ago and sold them after six months.  I sold them because I was still fairly new to the high-end game and very interested in playing - I could not settle down with gear for very long without getting the itch to try more stuff.

I've been all over the map since - I've owned more than a dozen pairs of speakers (still have five pair), several retailing for more than $10K, one topping out at $17K.

Why did I come back to the 938s?  Because they are the most consistently-pleasant-to-listen-to transducers I've yet found.  They serve all genres - I'm mostly into acoustic jazz, but I like rock too, and they serve both equally well, really.  That is a rare quality.  In fact, it is extraordinarily rare, in my experience, to find a speaker that is so well-balanced and has so many stand-out qualities with so few weaknesses - there are really *no* substantial "weaknesses".

I am running them with Consonance Cyber 211s which does truly make an incredible duo (disclaimer: I represent these amps as a Norvinz Field Rep).

That's about it.  I may upgrade to 968s at some point but, honestly, when I listen I just feel no motivation to do so.  In fact - having not heard them, I'm almost skeptical that they're superior.  Like movie sequels, a 2nd effort following a stupendous production quite often does not hit the mark as squarely.  I'm probably wrong, but other than a bit more bass reach and perhaps a bit tighter bass, it's hard to imagine them being much better.

Cheers,
Paul

carusoracer

Re: My 2nd pair of Hyperion 938s
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2008, 07:14 pm »
Congrats on the 2nd time around! That has always been a pair of speakers I would luv to take a good long listen :drool:

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2008, 07:20 am »
Hi Paul, good to here from you again.  I have to agree with you.  I would always have the Hyperion around. Having a fling with your flavor of the month speaker mistress is also fun, but never lasts long.  Hyperion is like an old girlfriend you wish you never broke up with.

Doubleblind

• Arcam AVR600; Oppo BDP83SE;Hyperion 938; Axiom sur
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2008, 05:25 pm »
I agree with you Paul.

Although I don't have the $$$ to play much with exchanging speakers (nor does the wife have the tolerance); the only complaint if at all, would be the  in the bass region of these truley great speakers.

Brent

ndeslions

« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2008, 09:58 am »
Paul you are already selling your second pair ?
What happened ?

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2009, 05:42 pm »
Paul you are already selling your second pair ?
What happened ?

Er, well, I sold them, but, guess what - today I am buying them back from the gent who purchased them!

haberr1

« Reply #6 on: 1 Nov 2009, 01:44 pm »
It could be inappropriate but interesting to ask, Mr Folbrecht, why you purchased the same speakers again??

watchemglow

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2009, 12:04 pm »
Because he wants to try malcolmsmith's re-wire upgrade of course!

I do too.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #8 on: 8 Nov 2009, 03:19 am »
It could be inappropriate but interesting to ask, Mr Folbrecht, why you purchased the same speakers again??

Perhaps I like the 938 better, all things considered, than anything I've had subsequent to them?

chao

« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2009, 08:00 am »
Hi Paul,

on your gallery, I see the Musical Affairs Grand Crescendo.
Did you compare the Gr. Crescendo to the 938?

Chen

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2009, 12:40 am »
Hi Paul,

on your gallery, I see the Musical Affairs Grand Crescendo.
Did you compare the Gr. Crescendo to the 938?

Chen

You must have me confused with someone else as I have never owned that speaker.

I did have MA Sonatines briefly once and they could hardly be a more different speaker from the 938.

russ_l

Malcom Smith Wiring Upgrade
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2010, 10:38 pm »
Not familiar with the Malcom Smith upgrade.  Would someone please elaborate?  Thanks.

Russ

Dracule1

• Facilitator

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2010, 03:19 am »
Russ,

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69979.0

I wrote them and they never wrote back.

On another note, I hear tell our facilitator may be sowing his oats in other pastures these days.  :D

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2010, 05:57 am »
 :duh: Secrets out of the bag!

Almost feel guilty "cheating" on the 938s, but I'm a man whore.  What can I say.  :wink:
Unfortunately you have to spend several times more to improve upon the 938s.

malcolmsmith

« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2010, 11:50 am »
Can you clarify whether you have bought another pair of 938s,or whether you have changed to another make of speaker.If so what? Thanks

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2010, 06:11 pm »
Ridge Street Audio Design Sason Si with upgraded crossover parts from Dueland cost over $12k, but I felt there was enough improvement over the 938s to get them.   :thumb:

May be the upcomming Hyperion reference speakers may equal or surpass the Sasons.

russ_l

« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2010, 11:05 pm »
Dracule1- thanks for the link; I read it previously but forgot about it.  I was a 938W owner for several months two years ago; no longer have them.  Thinking of picking up a pair of 938s very soon locally. :D

Russ

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 25 Feb 2010, 01:22 am »
Russ, why did you get rid of them, only to come back to them? :scratch:

russ_l

« Reply #19 on: 25 Feb 2010, 03:24 pm »
Russ, why did you get rid of them, only to come back to them? :scratch:

I paid quite a bit extra for the wood finish (with the upgraded woofers).  The right channel ended up close to the den door leading to the deck.  It was summer time; we were going in and out, in and out.  I thought it was just a matter of time before the speaker got damaged or worse, knocked over.  I could not handle that so I returned the speakers to the distributor even though I really liked them. :(

I recently purchased a new amp and preamp and would like to put better speakers in place over what I currently have.  A friend has 938s he's not using; we're talking. :thumb:

Russ