Members Gallery, Pictures of Salk speakers in members homes

divisionbell77

Re: Members Gallery, Pictures of Salk speakers in members homes
« Reply #160 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:29 pm »
writeface - what makes your component rack?  I will be upping to someone with doors soon, so i can seal up the DirecTV DVR that is way too loud.  Been looking at BDI, but yours looks like it could be a contender, depending on if it has the features that BDI does.

writeface

« Reply #161 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:05 pm »
Writeface,
I asked Jim about it, and he said that the spikes in this instance would be more for aesthetics than functional, but he did recommend that they be decoupled from the floor when not using spikes for permanent placement.  He provided me with a link to an inexpensive router mat that would functionally suffice.

Chris,  If you have the link to the router mat can you post it here? Thank you.

writeface

« Reply #162 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:21 pm »
writeface - what makes your component rack?  I will be upping to someone with doors soon, so i can seal up the DirecTV DVR that is way too loud.  Been looking at BDI, but yours looks like it could be a contender, depending on if it has the features that BDI does.

Jim made this custom A/V cabinet for me. I found it really hard to locate a stock A/V cabinet that would accommodate the HT3 Center channel as well act as a TV stand. After the cabinet was made I changed my mind and found a way/location to hang the TV on the wall.

My Dish network DVR gets really really hot inside the cabinet when the doors are closed! -- so unbelievably hot (and noisy) that it shuts down. When summer gets here it surely will get fried. I have to hurry up and  install an exhaust fan in the back wall of the shelf.

ctouhey

« Reply #163 on: 1 Apr 2010, 05:51 pm »
Chris,  If you have the link to the router mat can you post it here? Thank you.

It's a 2' x 3' mat that can be cut to size.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10696&filter=router%20mat

Jim said it would serve to decouple the HT3s from the floor somewhat.

Chris

ttsakai

« Reply #164 on: 2 Apr 2010, 04:33 am »
Hi All-

Thought I'd share some pictures of my listening room ...
Pictures are from Blackberry camera so not the highest quality.

Tubetraps in each of the corners and Realtraps on the ceiling at the first reflection point

View of left side of room. EchoBuster panel at first reflection point

View of right side of room. EchoBuster panel at first reflection point, Realtrap on ceiling at first reflection point. Component rack with fully modded SCD-1 VSE Level 7+ with Terra Firma upgrade, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 upgraded to SE+ with Valvo tubes, Krell KSA 200S in the middle of the room. HT-3 speakers with Curly Sycamore veneer black aniline dyed with bloom pattern. Synergistic Research Designer Reference and Resolution Reference with Quantum Tunneling treatment and Tesla Accelerator speaker cables.

Room is 14' W x 20' D x 8' ceiling. Persian carpet on hardwood floor to address first reflection point.

Speaker veneer pattern

K Shep

« Reply #165 on: 2 Apr 2010, 04:51 am »
ttsakai,

Its great to see you've posted photos of your system/room.  The photos look good and I will attest to the fact that your system sounds as great as it looks!  For me this is the real deal.  Speaker placement, acoustic treatment, dedicated room and you have your equipment rack to one side of the room.  Placing your equipment away from the middle of the speakers grows the sound stage in deepth and height, IME. 

Well done sir.

vintagebob

« Reply #166 on: 2 Apr 2010, 05:28 am »
ttsakai,

Killer Room!

writeface

« Reply #167 on: 2 Apr 2010, 04:03 pm »
Chris, Thanks for the link.

Tracy,
Very very nice set-up!

I auditioned the HT-3s at Tracy's home in Jan and instantly decided to buy them. I wish I could buy his room too:)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #168 on: 2 Apr 2010, 04:07 pm »
I especially like the ceiling treatment that you've done for your HT-3's. Too may forget to treat this very important part of the imaging sound stage.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Bigload

« Reply #169 on: 12 Apr 2010, 01:14 am »
Family room 2 channel- Salk SongTower domes.

HT room 7.1 channel- Salk HT2TL's, HT1TL's, HT2C

« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2010, 07:56 pm by Bigload »

stew

« Reply #170 on: 18 Apr 2010, 06:16 pm »
ttsakai,

Nice looking setup! I saw photos while I was at kshep's and he mentioned how great your setup sounded. I will say the HT3s look pretty sweet. 

-Stew

stew

« Reply #171 on: 18 Apr 2010, 06:23 pm »
It's a 2' x 3' mat that can be cut to size.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10696&filter=router%20mat

Jim said it would serve to decouple the HT3s from the floor somewhat.

Chris

ctouhey, writeface,

If either of you try the router mat for sound isolation from the floor, please post your thoughts on its impact (for good or ill). I have an asymmetric setup with one speaker on the hardwood floor and one on a floor rug. Both speakers have isolation pucks under them from Herbie's audio lab, and I feel the pucks do a reasonable job of decoupling them from my 120 year old hardwood floor which can have 1 or 2 fairly strong resonances. I have entertained slipping some granite slabs under them, but not sure if the better half will accept that... she has made a few concessions so far, so I try to keep the peace by making my audio-related changes slowly and as aesthetically acceptable as possible :)

Thanks, Stew

mchuckp

« Reply #172 on: 7 May 2010, 03:38 am »
Here's my current set up in the lower level of my house.  Listening space is 15x23 with an offshoot to the right that is 10x13.  Speakers are Songtowers in Med Cherry and ribbon tweeter upgrade.  If you are interested in knowing more about my supplemental gear, treatments, etc check out my system link and photo album.
SYSTEM: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=1367
ALBUM: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=3359

mdfoy

« Reply #173 on: 13 May 2010, 09:53 pm »
Here is the newest iteration of my system.  The combination of the Purity One, Khartagos and HT1 are most excellent. 

writeface

« Reply #174 on: 13 May 2010, 11:56 pm »
Really nice. What is "purity one"? (excuse my ignorance)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #175 on: 14 May 2010, 01:09 am »
Really nice. What is "purity one"? (excuse my ignorance)

Response Audio preamp - most excellent.

writeface

« Reply #176 on: 14 May 2010, 04:44 am »
Ofcourse, thanks Big Red.

writeface

« Reply #177 on: 14 May 2010, 04:46 am »
ctouhey, writeface,

If either of you try the router mat for sound isolation from the floor, please post your thoughts on its impact (for good or ill). I have an asymmetric setup with one speaker on the hardwood floor and one on a floor rug. Both speakers have isolation pucks under them from Herbie's audio lab, and I feel the pucks do a reasonable job of decoupling them from my 120 year old hardwood floor which can have 1 or 2 fairly strong resonances. I have entertained slipping some granite slabs under them, but not sure if the better half will accept that... she has made a few concessions so far, so I try to keep the peace by making my audio-related changes slowly and as aesthetically acceptable as possible :)

Thanks, Stew

Stew,

I ordered the Herbie Audio Cone/glider to go with the HT-3 spikes.

stew

« Reply #178 on: 16 May 2010, 11:25 pm »
Stew,

I ordered the Herbie Audio Cone/glider to go with the HT-3 spikes.

writeface,

Let me know how they work out for you...

-Stew

ctouhey

« Reply #179 on: 17 May 2010, 04:59 am »
ctouhey, writeface,

If either of you try the router mat for sound isolation from the floor, please post your thoughts on its impact (for good or ill). I have an asymmetric setup with one speaker on the hardwood floor and one on a floor rug. [snip]

Thanks, Stew

I tried the spikes on hardwood and liked them.  We have an approximately 11" x 14" inch rug to cover about 2/3 of the area.  We need to add more to the open area.  Wife likes the spikes and no grilles...totally opposite of what she said before we got the speakers.

Chris