Connecting HDMI to a stereo preamp/integrated

srb

Re: Connecting HDMI to a stereo preamp/integrated
« Reply #20 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:20 pm »
The Pioneer has a DIRECT button

Most receivers have some kind of processor bypassing mode; the Marantz NR has Direct and Pure Direct modes as well.

Don, if you don't want the Marantz NR series because you don't want unused amplifier channels idling (because you'll be using the stereo amplifier section of an integrated) your next best choice is to get a pre-processor which will have a full complement of preamp outs.

That's often an even more expensive alternative than a receiver, and one of the more economical choices there would probably be the Outlaw Model 975 AV Processor.  Nice and simple (and slim) with all the I/O that you'll need.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #21 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:31 pm »
Thanks Steve,  The Outlaw would be a viable option.  More expensive than I had hoped but at least the company's products have a good reputation.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2017, 01:04 am by Don_S »

srb

« Reply #22 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:47 pm »
More expensive than I had hoped but at least the companies products have a good reputation.

Well, as mentioned before, if you're also looking at a new TV anyway, you can let it do all the decoding and source switching and forgo the pre-pro (just make sure you get a TV with RCA analog outputs and enough HDMI inputs). 

When I picked up a 32" TV for the bedroom, I narrowed the field to those with RCA analog audio outputs as I knew I'd be using it with analog powered speakers.

On the other hand if you do go with an AV pre-processor you have the option of expanding in the future.  Although you may not need or want surround speakers, it would give you the option of adding a powered center speaker.

Having configured a number of systems with and without a center channel, I always got superior dialogue intelligibility with a center channel (even with really good stereo Front L/R speakers).  The fact that the center channel dialogue relative volume level in the mix can be tweaked is sometimes a plus.

Steve
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2017, 12:50 am by srb »

Don_S

« Reply #23 on: 30 Sep 2017, 01:08 am »
TV replacement is down the road after my current one quits.  Still going strong after 10 years. On the other hand my personal horizontal hold is drifting.  :lol:

srb

« Reply #24 on: 30 Sep 2017, 01:37 am »
I get that.  I have a 2008 50" Panasonic Plasma, and other than an antiquated 2"W top / 3"W side bezel, you wouldn't know you're not looking at a new TV!  ;)