New ModWright Custom Mod Umbilical!

modwright

New ModWright Custom Mod Umbilical!
« on: 20 Nov 2010, 02:37 am »
I have finally completed our own high-end umbilcal design and now that it is back from Cryo, have had the opportunity to compare it to our current stock umbilcal.

I am proud to put the ModWright name on this cable!

Retail price = $300 for 4 ft. length.

The design consists of hybrid pure solid core coppper and silver wire for critical high voltage tube supplies and Cardas Litz wire for critical ground.  There is no overall shield. We use a proprietary geometric shielding design, which serves to shunt all RF and noise to ground at the power supply, to earth ground.  The last step involves cryo of the entire cable to optimize conductivity and crsytalline structure of materials and solder joints, post-build.

The differences are NOT subtle! Increased resolution, separation and clarity jump right out.  It initially seemed as though the volume were increased with the new umbilical, but in actual fact, it is simply greater separation between notes and less smearing. Bass is tighter and more authoritative with greater separation between and around notes. The sound with the new umbilical is fresh, authoritative and visceral.

Materials include Cardas' solid-core ultra-pure copper and silver conductors, drawn from their own diamond dies.  The purpose of the design was minimal dialectric, no overall shielding, the purest metals and a combination of copper and silver to includes the sonic strengths of both materials.  Because the tube stage and power supply are engineered by us, we are able to provide the cleanest DC power path between player and supply!

10% discount and free shipping given to those who order before Dec 1 2010! 

Only first unit is built, so it will be a couple of weeks before we have umbililicals to ship.  I will also be in the Philippines from Nov. 23-29th, but all materials are on order and now that design is finalized, we are ready to make this fabulous new upgrade available and start taking orders.

This umbilical will work with ALL ModWright Tube modified Players!

If you have a player currently scheduled for upgrades, we can upgrade the stock cable to our 'Custom' umbilical for $250 extra.

Thanks,

Dan Wright
President,
ModWright Instruments Inc.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2014, 05:30 pm by modwright »

AB

Re: New ModWright Custom Mod Umbilical!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:50 pm »
Can you build one for the 36.5 DM?

How about the SWLP?

I'll take one for the 36.5 DM if it's possible.

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2010, 09:37 pm »
I will look into designing a similar cable for the 'DM'.  There are 10 conductors, opposed to four and the connectors are more expensive, so the price would be higher, but YES, it can be done!

Thanks,

Dan

AB

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2010, 02:48 am »
I will look into designing a similar cable for the 'DM'.  There are 10 conductors, opposed to four and the connectors are more expensive, so the price would be higher, but YES, it can be done!

Thanks,

Dan

Oh Right. I forgot about that. Amphenol vs. XLR etc.
I'm still interested.
Thanks

raymund1670

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2010, 03:13 pm »
Hi Dan,

Can these custom umbilical be used for LS-100 preamp? You claim that the Cryo treated  hybrid pure solid core coppper and silver wire and I quote "Increased resolution, separation and clarity jump right out". This is such a bold step to further improve the sonics of an already well designed product. I will see you at the HiFi show tomorrow at the Mandarin Makati and hopefully you could fill me in on the concept and possibilities for the LS-100 mod. See you.

Thanks,

Raymund D. Marave

dminches

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2010, 08:41 pm »
How would you use them with the LS-100, by moving the power supply external?

raymund1670

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2010, 12:12 am »
Yes, probably. If it's doable. I believe that adding or modifying the LS-100 with an external tube dual-mono power supply l will do the same with the LS-100 in terms of improved sonics. Just a thought though....

raymund1670

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2010, 12:20 am »
Yes, probably. If it's doable. I believe that adding or modifying the LS-100 with an external tube dual-mono power supply will do the same with the LS-100 in terms of improved sonics. Just a thought though....

mjalazard

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2010, 02:10 am »
Hey Dan,
This sounds great! 
I'de like to get it for the THE Show.  My Oppo was just shipped out.
Mike
NFS Audio
I have finally completed our own high-end umbilcal design and now that it is back from Cryo, have had the opportunity to compare it to our current stock umbilcal.

I am proud to put the ModWright name on this cable!

Retail price = $300 for 4 ft. length.

The design consists of hybrid pure solid core coppper and silver wire for critical high voltage tube supplies and Cardas Litz wire for critical ground.  There is no overall shield. We use a proprietary geometric shielding design, which serves to shunt all RF and noise to ground at the power supply, to earth ground.  The last step involves cryo of the entire cable to optimize conductivity and crsytalline structure of materials and solder joints, post-build.

The differences are NOT subtle! Increased resolution, separation and clarity jump right out.  It initially seemed as though the volume were increased with the new umbilical, but in actual fact, it is simply greater separation between notes and less smearing. Bass is tighter and more authoritative with greater separation between and around notes. The sound with the new umbilical is fresh, authoritative and visceral.

Materials include Cardas' solid-core ultra-pure copper and silver conductors, drawn from their own diamond dies.  The purpose of the design was minimal dialectric, no overall shielding, the purest metals and a combination of copper and silver to includes the sonic strengths of both materials.  Because the tube stage and power supply are engineered by us, we are able to provide the cleanest DC power path between player and supply!

10% discount and free shipping given to those who order before Dec 1 2010! 

Only first unit is built, so it will be a couple of weeks before we have umbililicals to ship.  I will also be in the Philippines from Nov. 23-29th, but all materials are on order and now that design is finalized, we are ready to make this fabulous new upgrade available and start taking orders.

This umbilical will work with ALL ModWright Tube modified Players!

If you have a player currently scheduled for upgrades, we can upgrade the stock cable to our 'Custom' umbilical for $250 extra.

Thanks,

Dan Wright
President,
ModWright Instruments Inc.

Ern Dog

« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2010, 04:48 pm »
I may have to buy one of these for myself for Christmas  :green:

Let's see a pic of the new umbilical.

vlasis

« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2010, 10:10 pm »
  Yes...lets see a picture..!!!!!!!
Dan where are youuuuuuu??????????? :lol:

JG2

« Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2010, 10:14 pm »
Actually Dan is in The Philippines at an audio show or on the way home at this point.

He will be back 'in the office' later this week.

bluesea

« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2010, 05:54 am »
Exchanged emails with Kirstin, for install on upcoming build.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 5 Dec 2010, 01:57 pm »

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, I'd be interested to know if one can be done for the 36.5DM and if length is an issue (i.e. 8 feet vs. 4 feet).  Don't have one yet but the way my set-up is if would be basically impossible otherwise.  Thanks

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2010, 08:07 pm »
Hi guys, I am back from the Philippines right now and I will have a professional photo of the product soon.  All I can say for now is that it will be in blue jacketing with silver connectors - MWI colors.

We have sold quite a few already and are busy building them!

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2010, 09:27 pm »
First umbilicals shipped Friday Dec. 17th!  Pictures to follow as soon as I can bend Marco's arm to PROFESSIONALLY photograph it!  He tells me that 'friends don't let [non-photographer] friends take their own marketing photos'  :duh:.

Thanks to all that have ordered this umbilical. I am very pleased with the sound and excited to hear feedback from our customers.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

Artp

« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:12 pm »
Well I've been listening to my Oppo with the new umbilical since Monday and I'm really impressed! Dan's description of the improvements are right on the money. The sound is much more open and powerful sounding, more detail, better tonality, and the bass just growls now. I was not expecting this level of improvement...it really brings this player to a whole new level. Get one! :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2010, 03:59 am »
Marco is photographing a sample right now and I will post the photos as soon as they are ready.

We are building and shipping them right now!

Thanks,

Dan

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #18 on: 31 Dec 2010, 02:48 am »
Marco is photographing a sample right now and I will post the photos as soon as they are ready.

We are building and shipping them right now!

Thanks,

Dan

Shazaaaaaammmmmmmmm!

« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2011, 08:57 pm by Marco Prozzo »

modwright

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jan 2011, 03:19 am »
Great Shot Marco!  Thanks for the hard work on this!

Thanks also to those who have shared your impressions of the new umbilical.  I am very pleased with how it turned out and we are busily building them!

Sincerely,

Dan W.