Bryston Turntable

gene9p

Re: Bryston Turntable
« Reply #320 on: 1 May 2017, 10:33 pm »
The Ortofon 2M black is a very nice cartridge and very forgiving.I have one on my 2nd arm for my VPI classic 2. That being said , you may want to rethink your set up. Very few LPs are 200 gram. Most reissues are 180 and of course the original copies are thinner and actually smoke the sound of the reissues. Assuming no scratches..LOL. Now as far as the the 2M goes. It is a very light cartridge and depending on the counterweight on the Bryston, it will require being set up at the proper tracking force. I believe 1.6 - 1.8 is the recommended setting. Once that is done you can recheck your height and Azumith. The wrong tracking force can ruin both the stylus and your lps.

audio.bill

« Reply #321 on: 1 May 2017, 11:53 pm »
Ortofon's 2M Black is indeed a fine cartridge which incorporates a Shibata stylus profile which is known for being quite sensitive to rake angle. As such care should be taken with regard to setting the optimal height of the tonearm to properly set its VTA. It's not known for being a 'plug and play' cartridge, as the Red and Blue models in the 2M line are much more forgiving of setup parameters. You won't achieve the performance level that the 2M Black is capable of and which you paid for without taking time to optimize its setup.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #322 on: 12 May 2017, 03:12 pm »
SUBJECT: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Turntable – Customer Feedback

May 2017

Hi, James,

My opinion of the sound of my new Bryston turntable.

In short, the sound and overall performance exceeds my expectations!

As a 17-year owner of Bryston audio equipment, my bar is quite high. Tracking, with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge is flawless. I agree with your position that an anti-skate mechanism is not needed.

The arm tracks the bias bands on the Hi-Fi News Analogue Test LP—even band 9, the “torture track.” The turntable design strikes me as being based on pragmatic engineering and material science principles rather than in vogue audiophile ideologies.

I am also pleased with the quality and performance of my new BP26MM preamplifier, PS3 power supply, and 2.5B(3) amplifier.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Yours truly.
Jim Cittit

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #323 on: 31 May 2017, 08:09 pm »
A hint of the future?

Floating platter. Absolut Cool. Wonder how it sounds....

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-2017-munich-high-end-show/

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #324 on: 7 Jun 2017, 09:43 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT:  New Turntable Dust Cover Hinges

June 2017

Hi Folks,

We have a new OPTIONAL TURNTABLE DUST COVER HINGE for our BLP-1 Turntable

It features a very solid mechanism but allows for the dust cover to be slipped off if you do not want the dustcover attached or closed when playing your LP’s.

The dust cover can ONLY be REMOVED once it is completely open with the dust cover vertical at 90°.

They will be available in White or Black.

I will have pricing shortly

james tanner
Bryston

abuhannibal

« Reply #325 on: 8 Jun 2017, 09:26 am »
Very nice idea IMHO!!!  Having the integral dust cover was an important purchasing decision for me; this lets us have our cake and eat it too, with no downside.

James Tanner

• Facilitator

Spyman

« Reply #328 on: 30 Jun 2017, 10:28 pm »
http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/sony-to-start-spinning-vinyl-after-30-year-hiatus-1.3481981

james

If a major player like Sony is getting back to record production, they certainly must know something. Someone there probably saw that Bryston has started making turntables and said, "That's it!"

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #330 on: 20 Jul 2017, 10:07 pm »
I believe, once up and running, that the SONY plant will be the only operating vinyl plant in Japan.

abuhannibal

« Reply #331 on: 25 Jul 2017, 12:14 pm »
James, any word on the new hinges? I'd probably pick up a set...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #332 on: 27 Jul 2017, 11:27 am »
SUBJECT: Bryston Turntable – Customer Feedback

July 2017

Hi Folks,

Another happy customer with our new Bryston BLP-1 Turntable system.

Bryston BLP-1 turntable with a Soundsmith Aida cartridge spinning it's first vinyl.

Tweekend by Crystal Method.

KILLER!!!

Mike Burns

gene9p

« Reply #333 on: 27 Jul 2017, 01:37 pm »
very nice!!

I use the Soundsmith Aida on my table. Sorry not a Bryston.Sweet cartridge!.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #334 on: 28 Jul 2017, 12:46 pm »
SUBJECT:  Bryston Turntable – Dealer Feedback

July, 2017

James,

I had a customer ask me this question " What the heck does a $4,000 turntable sound like?" 

She was getting back into vinyl after a 20 year hiatus.  I had set up her Technics SL 1500 with an Audio Technica 95AE and she was grooving on the vinyl sound. 

I told her about the Bryston BLP-1 Turntable and how excited I was to get Wolfsong Audio's table up and running.  With just a few hours of play I have an answer to her question. 

I cannot say this applies to all $4,000 turntables but this one sings. 

It has truly extended frequency range and is true to the harmonics of real music. The fundamental notes are all equal in measure and the harmonics that each of those notes generates are tonally correct with realistic decay and dynamics.  Rock solid bass with real timbre and tone set the pace for "boogie" and soaring upper midrange to lower treble give life to music whether it was recorded live on a stage or mixed in a studio.

Bravo Bryston!

Mike,
WOLFSONG AUDIO

abuhannibal

« Reply #335 on: 24 Sep 2017, 04:48 pm »
James,

What's the word on pricing for the new hinges?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #336 on: 1 Oct 2017, 10:30 am »
Hi James

Just discovered Audio Circle and looking over a few posts I stopped at the first page by “Canadian Maestro” is incorrect. Clearaudio started out by making cartridges for 10 years before venturing into all other areas like tone arms cleaning machines, phono stages even amps and pre-amps. VPI started out by making record cleaning machines; then the VPI brick.  Ortofon still makes phono stages and tone arm and accessories, Koetsu does the same. Focal the same by owning Naim.

I have to let him know his cartridge is a rebadged Audio Technica. I am not a member of the group so I can’t reply perhaps you could pass this on to him.

And the bearings are ceramic not tungsten same as used as the $7000 SME arm and the Kuzma arm.

Vince

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #337 on: 1 Oct 2017, 11:39 am »
Hi James

Just discovered Audio Circle and looking over a few posts I stopped at the first page by “Canadian Maestro” is incorrect. Clearaudio started out by making cartridges for 10 years before venturing into all other areas like tone arms cleaning machines, phono stages even amps and pre-amps. VPI started out by making record cleaning machines; then the VPI brick.  Ortofon still makes phono stages and tone arm and accessories, Koetsu does the same. Focal the same by owning Naim.

I have to let him know his cartridge is a rebadged Audio Technica. I am not a member of the group so I can’t reply perhaps you could pass this on to him.

And the bearings are ceramic not tungsten same as used as the $7000 SME arm and the Kuzma arm.

Vince

Vince,

That's fine with me -- as long as it sounds great!! Which it does.

cheers

p.s. I had actually checked the S/N of my cart with CA. It checked out back then. Also, AT carts use a different mount and wiring config than this CA cart. This one uses Direct Wire -- no connector joints in tonearm, straight wire from cart body to phono stage. So, I doubt that this is an AT cart. In any case, both make v.g. carts.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2017, 01:46 pm by CanadianMaestro »

Jpktenere

« Reply #338 on: 4 Dec 2017, 09:09 pm »
So thinking of finally giving up on the old lp-12 and picking up one of these BLP-1 was wondering if I could use my expensive tone arm cable with a 90deg 5pin din connector?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #339 on: 4 Dec 2017, 09:39 pm »
So thinking of finally giving up on the old lp-12 and picking up one of these BLP-1 was wondering if I could use my expensive tone arm cable with a 90deg 5pin din connector?

HI

The Bryston tonearm table uses the 4 pin European standard - the 5 Pin was a SME version.

There are a few companies offering 4 pin to 5 pin adapters.

james