ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #20 on: 4 Jun 2008, 05:21 pm »
6H30 DR
I've tried the following rectifier tubes:
5U4GB (Tung Sol)
5U4G (Emerson)
5AS4 (Super Radiotron)
GZ32 (Philips/Mullard)

So far I prefer the GZ32 in my system, but would love to try a 5AR4.
RCA Cleartop 6CG7, sound OK but I have a pair of Cryoed RCA 6BQ7A that out perform them - the 5U4G is the best rectifier match in my system with this family.

6N1P's - best sounding 'modern' low cost tubes, but blown away by the 6H30DR's.  Is there a 'DR' equivalent of the 6N1P's, or maybe get a pair cryoed? 

I have stopped my signal tube search with the 6H30's - only quest now is GZ32 vs 5AR4, and potential to cryo.

Phil,
Any feedback yet on the value of the HiFi Tuning fuse in the TP?

Philistine

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jun 2008, 05:45 pm »

Phil,
Any feedback yet on the value of the HiFi Tuning fuse in the TP?
[/quote]

The plan was to live with it for a few weeks, and then take it out to see if I noticed a difference.
But you've now piqed my curiousity Ted - I'll replace it in the next day or so and get back with an interim update.

NickS

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jun 2008, 05:52 pm »
The plan was to live with it for a few weeks, and then take it out to see if I noticed a difference.
But you've now piqed my curiousity Ted - I'll replace it in the next day or so and get back with an interim update.

Hey Phil,

What is the size and value of the TP fuse?

Philistine

« Reply #23 on: 4 Jun 2008, 06:09 pm »

Hey Phil,

What is the size and value of the TP fuse?

5 x 20mm
3 amp
Slow Blo

rydenfan

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jun 2008, 06:18 pm »
I may go to a 3.25A slow blow as I have a Phillips Dario Miniwatt GZ32 that has blown out the 3A fuse. I checked with Dan and he confirmed 3.25 would be totally fine.

Philistine

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jun 2008, 12:07 am »
I may go to a 3.25A slow blow as I have a Phillips Dario Miniwatt GZ32 that has blown out the 3A fuse. I checked with Dan and he confirmed 3.25 would be totally fine.

I had the same problem with a crappy rectifier tube - and could only find a standard 3.25, which works fine.

HiFi Tuning Fuse
I've just been A/B'ing the standard fuse with the HiFi Tuning Fuse, and feel a little sheepish in saying that their is a noticeable difference:
First of all I did not find any directionalty in the HiFi fuse - no, it sounds the same plugged in either direction.
The HiFi Tuning fuse has a more air and separation around the instruments, which leads to more clarity.  This doesn't mean the standard is warmer, but sounds the standard more opaque with less detail.  How much more detail?  Well equivalent to an IC or PC change - is it worth it?  Definetly, for the price of a pizza its a steal.

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
« Reply #26 on: 6 Jun 2008, 01:14 am »
A quick question regarding the 6h30-DR.  I acquired a pair and tried them out tonight.  They sound great, but volume is down maybe 6 db versus the stock tubes.  Is that normal?

Philistine

« Reply #27 on: 6 Jun 2008, 01:18 am »
A quick question regarding the 6h30-DR.  I acquired a pair and tried them out tonight.  They sound great, but volume is down maybe 6 db versus the stock tubes.  Is that normal?

Yep, that's normal - I'm sure the techies can explain why.  Nothing wrong with the tubes.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #28 on: 6 Jun 2008, 01:25 am »
Where did you guys get your Tung-Sol 5U4G?

George

Philistine

« Reply #29 on: 6 Jun 2008, 02:07 am »

George

They're coming up on ebay - not sure that the regular vendors have any?

Bigfish

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jun 2008, 02:09 am »

George

George:

I saw one on ebay tonight for $150.00 buy now but the tube is located in France.

Ken

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 6 Jun 2008, 02:40 am »

George

Got mine on Ebay for $24 shipped.  It's untested but looks good.  I took a flyer.  Should be here in a couple days.

CometCKO

« Reply #32 on: 8 Jun 2008, 05:18 am »
Just an update.  I received the 6H30-DR tubes from Parts Connexion and they've now been playing in the Modwright Truth Transporter for the last 40 hours or so.  Initial impressions are extremely positive.  The bass was pretty reticent at first, but today it's ramping up.  Tonality is RIGHT ON, and the harmonic structure of instruments is so realistic that the piano is here in the room with me.

Best signal tube I've tried so far. Thanks Frank, Ted, Rydenfan for convincing me to open my wallet for rape & pillage.  It was worth it...

I'll keep you posted on my rectifier pairings listening observations.  But I think I've found my ideal triode in this application.   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Frank

rydenfan

« Reply #33 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:02 pm »
I am glad to hear you are enjoying them. They have an excellent holographic sound and excellent bass depth. The combination of those signal tubes in the 36.5 and other tubes in the TP is a beautiful sound  :drool:

rydenfan

« Reply #34 on: 8 Jun 2008, 01:05 pm »

HiFi Tuning Fuse
I've just been A/B'ing the standard fuse with the HiFi Tuning Fuse, and feel a little sheepish in saying that their is a noticeable difference:
First of all I did not find any directionalty in the HiFi fuse - no, it sounds the same plugged in either direction.
The HiFi Tuning fuse has a more air and separation around the instruments, which leads to more clarity.  This doesn't mean the standard is warmer, but sounds the standard more opaque with less detail.  How much more detail?  Well equivalent to an IC or PC change - is it worth it?  Definetly, for the price of a pizza its a steal.

[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback Phil. Is this what you got?

http://www.thecableco.com/product.php?id=3496

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #35 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:10 pm »
David,
That's what I ordered on Friday, the 5 x 20mm 3.15A slo-blo from The Cable Company (I have a credit with them from the loaning library).

Philistine

« Reply #36 on: 8 Jun 2008, 02:51 pm »

HiFi Tuning Fuse

Thanks for the feedback Phil. Is this what you got?

http://www.thecableco.com/product.php?id=3496

[/quote]

Yes, thats the one I bought - picked it up from Parts Connexion, but its the same fuse.
I bought the 3A, but the 3.15A has been MW cleared for use.

I have a different preamp to you and Ted, a Musical Fidelity (with 6119 tubes), so it will be interesting to find if you hear a difference.

rydenfan

« Reply #37 on: 8 Jun 2008, 04:11 pm »
Anyone tried one of these before?

http://www.partsconnexion.com/Furutech_Fuses.pdf

Phil, i know you replaced the 3A fuse on the tube board. Did you also replace the 1A fuse that is located in the back by the tube toggle switch?

Philistine

« Reply #38 on: 8 Jun 2008, 05:44 pm »
Anyone tried one of these before?

http://www.partsconnexion.com/Furutech_Fuses.pdf

Phil, i know you replaced the 3A fuse on the tube board. Did you also replace the 1A fuse that is located in the back by the tube toggle switch?

David,
I didn't replace this - figured that it just protects the SlimDevices board that deals with all the wireless stuff, whearas the 3A fuse is on the mod board that Dan adds so this seemed the most obvious to replace.  Maybe I'm wrong and its worth replacing?
Phil

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 8 Jun 2008, 06:17 pm »
Dan's email response to my same question:
"Sure, the 1A (fast blo 'FB') fuse sees AC that powers the digital circuitry"