My thoughts on the new Phono pre..

Marbles

My thoughts on the new Phono pre..
« on: 24 Mar 2003, 04:02 pm »
I received the VPP-1 phono pre last Wednesday, along with the VAC-1 power supply.

Some backround first.  My TT is a 70's vintage Sansui 4050c belt drive with Audio Technica cartridge.  I have had it in a room with other 70's era Sansui equipment and the room has horrible acoustics.

I have tried on two other ocaisions to put this turntable in my ref system with an inexpensive RS phono pre, and the phono stage of a Pioneer Elite receiver that I was using as an HT pre-amp.  I did not have much luck with the sound.  In fact I found it muddy and not much to my liking.

I then tried the new CI phono pre and LP's jumped to life!  It sounds so good in fact that I have listened to very little digital since getting this phono pre and I intend to upgrade my Turntable soon, but have no such plans for the phono pre.

As a reference my ref system is:

Sony DVD7700 with Modright level 2 transport mods w/bybee to a Bolder Mensa.  Pre is a Bent Transformer based passive pre (silver transformers), amps are Symphonic Line Kraft 400 monoblocks, and speakers are nOrh 9.0's.

I wish I could have A/B'd this phono pre against other similar priced ones, but it sounds good enough to me I feel no need at this point.