For Prog Rock, what about Muse?

For Prog Metal, what about SOAD?

D.D.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Prog Rock/metal
« Reply #221 on: 6 Mar 2012, 05:28 pm »

Hella:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDcG3zAEI&context=C3f4cd5dADOEgsToPDskLGVsa4L-OgmRpF9XzLupFg

I saw Hella a few years back - they were supporting SOAD along with The Mars Volta. Hella got the usual semi-interested reaction from a crowd who was clearly there to see System. This did not go un-noticed by Daron Malakian who gave Hella a shout-out during SOAD's set and added that anyone who hadn't applauded Hella's set " had a tiny dick".  8)

D.D.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #222 on: 6 Mar 2012, 09:41 pm »
Heh-heh...maybe there were some drummers in the audience already feeling a little impotent after watching Zach's right foot....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtL6YaxuiIA

I doubt I could do that if I had three feet on my leg and a turbine for an ankle.
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2012, 11:09 pm by Larkston Zinaspic »

simoon

« Reply #223 on: 7 Mar 2012, 12:43 am »
One of my favorite genres!

Here's a few off th4e top of my head.

Prymary

Tragedy of Innocence or The Enemy Inside

Both very heavy, dark prog-metal with tons of emotion and chops from hell.

Pain of Salvation

The kings of dark emotional prog-metal. The ones to own are One Hour by the Concrete Lake, Perfect Element and Remedy Lane. Their music is deceptively complex, because they don't use complexity to show off, only to serve the emotional content of the music.

Avoid Scarsick and Roadsalt. Not sure what they were thinking, but they REALLY went off the rails with these.

Riverside

Sometimes compared to PTree, but more progressive. Boarders between modern progressive and prog-metal. More into creating atmospheres than showing off chops.

Haken

Aquarius and Visions are both worth owning. Sometimes they can sound like the Flower Kings, other times intense prog-metal with growls.

Leprus

A very interesting combo of prog and prog-metal. I even hear some avante-prog.

Cynic

Highly complex technical prog-metal. Traced in Air is incredible! Some growling vocals.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2012, 06:05 pm by simoon »

bunky

« Reply #224 on: 7 Mar 2012, 01:04 am »
Completely and utterly different bodies of work, but always King Crimson.  KC have had several distinct periods marked by radical changes of style and personnel.
Discipline,Three of a perfect pair and Thrak are some of my favorites.post 1981 with Adrian Belew on co-lead guitar and vocals is my favorite version of King Crimson.as good as Robert Fripp is on Guitar i like Adrian Belew even better  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #225 on: 7 Mar 2012, 01:14 am »
I saw King Crimson on the Discipline Tour at the Pier in NYC and they were tremendous.  That was one of the best musical performances I've ever seen.
Andrian Belew looks like somebody's uncle at a barbacue; he was having so much fun jumping around and carrying on while Robert Fripp never got up out of his chair.  He must have been feeling especially extroverted as he was facing the audience...

JoshK

« Reply #226 on: 7 Mar 2012, 02:05 am »
One of my favorite Opeth song....Opeth I think is the Wagner of heavy metal.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Hex+Omega/11PbMp?src=5

JoshK

« Reply #227 on: 9 Mar 2012, 03:56 pm »
Simoon,

I am familiar with Prymary and POS mostly due to you.   I only like POS so-so.   I like Riverside, especially Anno Domini HD. 

I dig that Cynic album.  I am listening to it on grooveshark and its what I consider progressive.  It ever so slightly reminds me of Agalluch, I am not sure why.

Rclark

« Reply #228 on: 12 Mar 2012, 04:08 pm »
I saw Hella a few years back - they were supporting SOAD along with The Mars Volta. Hella got the usual semi-interested reaction from a crowd who was clearly there to see System. This did not go un-noticed by Daron Malakian who gave Hella a shout-out during SOAD's set and added that anyone who hadn't applauded Hella's set " had a tiny dick".  8)

D.D.

Must be their stupid name. It would be like if RUSH had called themselves "Tubular Dude".

Rclark

« Reply #229 on: 12 Mar 2012, 04:14 pm »
they remind me of a band called Big Business...

Love my talented two piece bands.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #230 on: 12 Mar 2012, 05:31 pm »
Must be their stupid name. It would be like if RUSH had called themselves "Tubular Dude".

Tubular Dude is a hella good name for a band.  :thumb:

D.D.

Rclark

« Reply #231 on: 12 Mar 2012, 05:49 pm »
 :lol: probably only briefly, and sometime in the mid 80's.

ptmconsulting

« Reply #232 on: 13 Mar 2012, 01:38 pm »
Just picked up Opeth - Heritage and gave it a listen. This is far different and better IMO than the other growling metal stuff I associated with them. I think I'm going to like this with subsequent listens.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #233 on: 13 Mar 2012, 07:59 pm »
Just picked up Opeth - Heritage and gave it a listen. This is far different and better IMO than the other growling metal stuff I associated with them. I think I'm going to like this with subsequent listens.

You might very much like Damnation by Opeth as well.  Lighter and no growls.

milford3

« Reply #234 on: 13 Mar 2012, 08:03 pm »
Take a listen to this band.  They are outstanding..    LFE to die for.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #235 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:55 am »
:lol: probably only briefly, and sometime in the mid 80's.

I wanna start a Tubular Dude tribute band and call it Totally Tubular.  :green:

D.D.

Rclark

« Reply #236 on: 14 Mar 2012, 06:02 am »
"Heeeeey thanks everyone, tip your bartenders."  :green: :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #237 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:51 pm »

Its a good album.  If you like this and Damnation, you might start in with their other material with Watershed.  Its a really good album and has limited growly vocals, some but somewhat sparingly. 

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #238 on: 24 Mar 2012, 02:34 am »
I checked out Opeth on youtube a few years ago and closed that book in short order...until reading this thread. I rather like Porcupine Tree (and pretty much anything Steven Wilson touches ;-)) and I agree with your (JoshK's) assessment of vocals in a subsequent post (although, I can not only tolerate Cedric's (of Mars Volta) singing (most of the time), but I even think it's quite good (occasionally)). So, on your recommendation (and the hints provided by samples), I ordered 'Damnation' and 'Heritage'. The former appears to have been a brief diversion, but Mikael intimated on the latter's accompanying 'making of' that the it points to the direction he now wishes to explore – I, for one, hope that's precisely what happens. It'll extend the life of his voice – and he has a good one to preserve. More importantly, it'll give me more material for listening pleasure.

Having read through this thread, I can only mention one name that hasn't been posted yet – Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. My daughter tried a few times to get me to listen to their material, but I didn't care for what I sampled. I finally sat down and listened to 'of Natural History' from start to finish and my opinion of them has changed radically. Give it a shot, if only for 2:12 of hilarity in 'Cockroach' – LOL may apply (did for me). It's quite different and I think it's intelligent, if a little clichéd (but, aren't most lyrics?) - actually, I think 'different' is a bit weak. This is 'out there' – doesn't really fit the category of this thread, but then, it simply defies categorization. The vocals leave no stone unturned – quite varied would be massive understatement. You have been warned, but you may just find it brilliant.

The Anathema album that does it for me is 'Judgement' – and the singing is mostly good.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2012, 03:04 pm by kevin360 »

Rclark

« Reply #239 on: 26 Mar 2012, 06:55 pm »
.... It all comes back to RUSH.

all the prog rock/metal a man could ever need...

They are the "choice to have on a deserted island"  prog band.