GR Research Owner's Audition List

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: GR Research Owner's Audition List
« Reply #80 on: 11 Nov 2014, 01:54 am »
No love from his own hometown! He's the best thing to come out of Tulsa since Leon Russell and J.J.Cale. Tom Petty, on his drive from Florida to L.A. to get a record deal in the mid-70's, stopped in to see Dwight in Tulsa and get his advice concerning the record business. Twilley had been signed to Shelter Records the year before by Denny Cordell, and the 1st Twight Twilley Band album (entitled I'm on Fire, also the hit single on the album) came out in '76. It's killer! That's Petty playing bass in the early DTB videos.

Ah, I see the problem. My wife is the Tulsa native. I'm a recent (2008) transplant from the Smokey Mountains in East Tennessee.

Mike

I just looked him up, nope, don't recognize him.  In the mid 70's I was listening to Steppenwolf, Edgar Winter, Johnny Winter, Uriah Heap, The Who, Chicago, Three Dog Night, Elton John, etc.  Never heerd of no De-wite Twilly back in them thar hills :)

Mike

bdp24

« Reply #81 on: 11 Nov 2014, 05:02 am »
Twilley's two big influences are Elvis and The Beatles. Debuting in the mid-70's, he was really swimming against the tide. His last hit was "Girls, Girls, Girls" in the mid-'80's. Back to Tulsa and the local bars!

Wind Chaser

Re: My Serenity Super-7s are in Phoenix...
« Reply #82 on: 28 Feb 2017, 03:54 pm »
...and available to audition.

Pulled about 6" farther away from the front wall.

Wow, your speakers look stunning, and I bet those amps are to die for!

mikeeastman

« Reply #83 on: 5 Apr 2017, 07:05 pm »
Time to up date my GR system for audition. Anyones welcome to stop by for a listen. Flagstaff, Az

Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ Jupiter caps & Alpha Core coils x-over.

Danny Richie

« Reply #84 on: 5 Apr 2017, 08:45 pm »
Mike, I bet your system sounds great.

But that wiring from the crossovers up to the speakers looks like a perfect RF antenna. You might see (or hear) if it sounds better to twist or braid that wiring to help filter out any RFI.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #85 on: 5 Apr 2017, 09:07 pm »
Mike, I bet your system sounds great.

But that wiring from the crossovers up to the speakers looks like a perfect RF antenna. You might see (or hear) if it sounds better to twist or braid that wiring to help filter out any RFI.

I think the wire is twisted from what I can see? maybe not.

Jeffrey Behr, I bet those amps are fantastic with your speakers! Still trying to find the right amp for my Super V's

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #86 on: 5 Apr 2017, 09:47 pm »
Still trying to find the right amp for my Super V's

I know these sound great and are fun to build.

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

mikeeastman

« Reply #87 on: 5 Apr 2017, 10:09 pm »
Danny, I don't think RFI is a problem as I live in the boonies. Right now my system is dead quiet and with my new front end it has the most incredible detail and air. That is one think I have to say about these speakers they really let you hear any change you make to the system good or bad. A big :thumb: for your design Danny.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #88 on: 5 Apr 2017, 10:16 pm »
I thought the Super 7s were only available from dealers and not as a kit?

Shakey

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #89 on: 5 Apr 2017, 11:32 pm »
I know these sound great and are fun to build.

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

Thanks for the link CornDog71, I have seen those before but had forgotten about them.
I would love to build something like that but they take time and time is not something I have right now nor I see having in the near future. One of these days....

Danny Richie

« Reply #90 on: 5 Apr 2017, 11:43 pm »
I thought the Super 7s were only available from dealers and not as a kit?

Shakey

He didn't buy them as a kit.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #91 on: 2 Jun 2017, 03:12 am »
.  Sorry, accidental post.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #92 on: 16 Jul 2017, 06:30 pm »
I had four folks over last Thursday evening listening to both the N3's with the Rythmik F12 and the GR-Research 12" sandbox subs in the living room system and the NX-Otica MTM monitors with the dual 12" OB H-Frame subs in the upstairs system.  Everybody seemed impressed with both systems though the OB system was the favorite. Which would be no surprise to anyone who has heard any of Danny's OB systems.

We spent four hours or so listening to the systems. I enjoy sharing the sound of these systems. This makes the third time in the past couple of years  someone has come by to listen to Danny's speakers.

Currently I have the following speakers available to demo:

LGK 1.0 ported desktop monitors,
N3 transmission line towers,
12" sealed sandbox sub,
LGK Wedgie monitors (open baffle),
NX-Otica monitors (open baffle) and
Dual 12" H-Frame subs (open baffle)

If you are in the Tulsa area and would like to listen to any or all of the above speakers let me know.

Mike

madsry

« Reply #93 on: 18 Nov 2017, 03:59 am »
Hello!  Brand new member here.  After a lengthy phone call with GR Research today, I'm very interested in tracking down some speakers to audition, especially the X-Statics.  Any owner in Eastern Washington?  Or secondarily in the Portland area?

Phil A

« Reply #94 on: 18 Nov 2017, 12:30 pm »
I have a pair of N3s (no rez, etc.) in Central FL

dlynch34

« Reply #95 on: 29 Nov 2017, 04:21 pm »
where in central florida are you?  I am as well :)  .. I just built a pair of x-statiks with no-rez and upgraded caps...

Shakeydeal

« Reply #96 on: 29 Nov 2017, 04:54 pm »
I have a pair of Super Vs in southern Virginia that I would be happy to offer up for audition.

Shakey

Phil A

« Reply #97 on: 29 Nov 2017, 08:46 pm »
where in central florida are you?  I am as well :)  .. I just built a pair of x-statiks with no-rez and upgraded caps...

Central east - Melbourne, Viera, Rockledge area.

openbaffled

« Reply #98 on: 29 Mar 2018, 07:53 pm »
Hi,

New to audiocircle.  Anyone in SE Michigan have H-frame servo subs I could hear?  Actually, I'm in Chelsea, but I have no problem driving.

Thanks,

Jac

para7452

« Reply #99 on: 10 Apr 2018, 04:19 pm »
I'm about 30 minutes outside of KC/KS.

I have V1s. I was looking at the Super Vs, but waited too long to pull the trigger and the coaxes dried up. Gary Dodd had the V1s and he said he liked them a lot, so good enough for me.

Associated equipment are an old-school modified multi format disc player (Pioneer DVAX-10), ARC LS-16, ARC Ref 75 SE, PurePower regenerator. It's also my theatre space, so other amps and processor and 4K player and center channel and such.