Which antivirus you have?

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
Which antivirus you have?
« on: 29 Jun 2011, 04:28 pm »
Im currently using AVG 2011, full version. What about you guys? share your experiences.

mumbles

Re: Which antivirus you have?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2011, 05:07 pm »
I am very happy with the free version of Avast
It beats everything else that I have paid for especially Norton.
Now it has a programmed boot time scan as well
Easy  to download

srb

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2011, 05:16 pm »
I use the McAfee Security Suite ("COX Security Suite | Powered by McAfee") because it is free to Cox Cable subscribers.  It works well, is full-featured and doesn't use a lot of system resources compared to some other packages.

Steve

acresm22

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2011, 05:28 pm »
Switched from AVG free to Microsoft Security Essentials (also free) last year. I like MSE so far...not a system hog, and seems to do a good job.

chip

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2011, 05:28 pm »
AVG as well. The other free popular one is Avast like mentioned. In my different job roles symantec and McAfee and I am not a big McAfee fan.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2011, 05:30 pm »
AVG Free version

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:00 pm »
I use BitDefender.  Better than Norton.  It was half the price of Norton and double the features. :D

JDUBS

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:01 pm »
Microsoft Security Essentials, like was previously said, its free.  Does a great job, as far as I can tell, and doesn't bog down my system.

-Jim

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:37 pm »
(free version) AVG...along with Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster, along with avoiding Internet Explorer, has kept my machines bug free for years now.

Occasionally, just for additional measure, I'll go to Trend Micro and launch a (free) HouseCall to check it out from another angle.

My wife's 'puter caught a trojan about a year ago, despite all the same software installed (she's not good about keeping it up to date, however) and the trojan looped itself inside the AVG program.  Insidious thing  :nono:

HouseCall entirely removed the trojan while AVG was still tripping all over itself infected with it.

John

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:42 pm »
I have used AVG free for a long time at home with success.  Presently using eset nod32 now at work, seems to work great.
Just got a new pc at home and will be looking for a freebee.  Will probably choose AVG or the mse.
Don't go to risky sites that I'm aware of so I don't really know how well any of them work.  :|
I use firefox as well.

Interesing, John.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:56 pm »
I'm currently running AVG 10 Internet Security, which was rendered useless by a rogue virus earlier this year. Their tech support team said they would 'attempt' to remove the virus remotely for $130. I removed it myself instead.

After the license expires I'll probably go with Avast or MSE next year.

jmc207

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2011, 06:58 pm »
My home PC's are a mix of Microsoft Security Essentials and Sunbelt/GFI Vipre. Like Vipre better and it has done a good job for 3 years on a couple of PC's. MSE is definitely decent though and has kept some acquaintances virus free for over a year now where before with Norton/Symantec, they were infected about every 3 months.  At work, Sophos is used.

Vipre is found here: http://www.vipreantivirus.com/

bacobits1

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2011, 07:31 pm »
Free AVAST, CC cleaner, Registry Mechanic, Malwarebytes. I have licenses for the last 2.
All these for more than 4 years.

D

Mag

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2011, 07:34 pm »
The best, stops all unauthorized connections! Computer is constantly pinged by hackers and disrupting my modem. :x

lcrim

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2011, 07:35 pm »
I use Avast free on this laptop and AVG free on the laptop running SBS.  My daughter's Ubuntu laptop doesn't run a virus scan.

Larry

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2011, 07:56 pm »
Eset Nod32 for the main computer, it works great and has a very small footprint.
MSE on a laptop I use mainly for streaming audio.

Wayne

datman

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jun 2011, 08:03 pm »
I am successfully using Microsoft Security Essentials.  I have not had any security issues since I installed it. It doesn't seem to impact my computer's performance and does not install itself all over my computer's hard drive like Norton does.

Kinger

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jun 2011, 08:30 pm »
+1 on MSE here.  No issues as of yet, free and it doesn't seem to hog system resources like the others.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2011, 08:30 pm »
I use the free version of McAfee supplied by ComCast.  It was one of the top rated programs by consumer reports recently and it uses less resources than Avast and Norton. The older McAfee was junk but the latest version is pretty good. I also use the free Spy Bot Search and Destroy by DeKolla and Malware Bytes.

Mag

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2011, 08:56 pm »
That just made it worse.

These hackers are relentless! They connect to your computer and you may not even know it. My firewall terminates an attacks 99,000+ by disconnecting an I have to reboot.

Not sure what they want with my computer, except for the high speed connection. :|