Okay, I'll do a cable tour too - Feedback

mdfoy

Okay, I'll do a cable tour too - Feedback
« on: 29 May 2010, 06:49 pm »
All,

Once again I thank Bill for the opportunity to audition the Clarity Labs Harvest II interconnects. The review portion of the audition was performed by listening the the cuts below with the Harvest II, and then my SoundStrings to get a reference. The music I used during the review part of the audition:

Marc Johnson, Shades of Jade, Snow(6), Since You Asked(7)
Thomasz Stanko, Suspended Night
Sean Jones, Kaleidoscope, Journey(2)
Cassandra Wilson, New Moon Daughter, Strange Fruit(1), Harvest Moon(12)
Miles Davis, Kind of  Blue, So What(1), Flamenco Sketches(5)

On all cuts the Harvest gets solo piano right, down to the peddles and note decay.  Nice detail, if its there, you hear it, and they are quiet.  Music comes out from a black back ground. Do those BIG connectors have something to do with that? One nit pick, however, cymbals are a just a little splashy. More tin, than brass? This is picked up on Marc Johnson, Since  you Asked, and Thomasz Stanko, VIII, they have long cymbal runs. I am really picking here, the cables are quite good, and I am reaching for any real criticism.

The bass reproduction with these cable is showcased on Cassandra Wilson's Strange Fruit.  The clear articulation of the "heart beat" is very good here, in addition, sound stage spacing is good, too.  The twangy guitar and Cassandra's voice are right on as well. On Harvest Moon, there is no loss of detail.  There are a lot of small sounds throughout, F's, t's, s's on vocals, crickets, wind chimes are and all are clearly discerned.

Thomasz Stanko, Suspended Night was just nice. Thomasz's trumpet was sooo well done.

Sean Jones, Kaleidoscope, the vocals on Journey are very breathy, and this is conveyed very well. An excellent example of spacing is the trumpet location is clearly defined over the vocalist's right shoulder during the the songs closing.

Miles Davis, Kind of Blue, Flamenco Sketches.  It was easy to tell the difference between the tenor and soprano saxes, and brush strokes from tape hiss. After those tests, I just listened to the music. 

After all of that, (I do not envy professional reviewers) I must say that the Clarity Cable, Harvest II is a winner, and a not much thought is needed at their price.  :thumb: :thumb:

These cables have an exceptionally good mid-range, and just let you listen to the music, without nervosa.  I can only imagine what the extremes are like.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2010, 03:39 am by mdfoy »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Okay, I'll do a cable tour too - Feedback
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2010, 04:38 pm »
Thank you mdfoy for taking the time to write about your experience with the Clarity Labs Harvest II cables. I hope the others will have the same experience and will chime in as they complete their audition.

For those who are not aware, we have a special offer going on for Audio Circle members during the duration of this tour: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81813.0 It does not matter if you are part of the tour or not.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2010, 09:40 pm »
I'm gonna be sick.

I really didn't want to think there was a great deal of difference between ICs, but having done some prelim A/B with the Harvest II, I can already hear there is.

Nothing huge, but definately there, I'll post specifics after listening more.

Good grief, does this mean I have to audition PCs next.  :duh:

kingdeezie

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2010, 10:02 pm »
There is a full systems rewirings worth of Harvest Extremes waiting at home for me right now, and I am stuck at work on call...

:duh:

Anyone care to elaborate more so I can live vicariously?

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2010, 12:39 am »
After 5 hours I have to call it quits for now.

On all these boards, I keep seeing the post "I made change xyz to my system, and it was like a veil was lifted from the music". Gack.

I've been waiting for a post "I fell face first into a pile of dog sh*t, and when I stood up, it was like a veil.........".

So imagine how I loathe my desire to use this phrase now. So I wont. The website description of these says they're 'airy' sounding, I'll go with that.

On Getz/Gilberto, male vocals are less 'chesty' sounding, female vocals are indeed airy. Stan Getz' tenor sax has a warmer brass sound, not the negative 'brassy' sound, and cymbals, at least on this CD, sounded right. Last, the overall presentation was cleaner, airy, with nice 'attack' on leading edge of notes, and in turn they arose out of a black background. And the upright bass was solid and distinct - I loved the Harvest II presentation of this CD versus my present cables.

Following MDFOY's lead I threw on George Winston's 'Autumn' for the piano test. Nice dynamics and great presentation of the notes, especially between notes, the decay was there to hear if you wanted to fixate on it.

So then put on a remastered CD of a 1958 mono recording of Emil Gilels take on Rachmaninov's 3rd Piano Concerto, as I just heard it live last Saturday presented by the Philly Orchestra. No so much of difference here, guess the cables can only do so much.

Next session will be with more jazz and then rock.