First Birdie in golf

mcgsxr

First Birdie in golf
« on: 12 May 2009, 07:27 pm »
I know that this is a forum dedicated mostly audio, but I had to share with the other folks around here that also golf.

I bought clubs for the first time in my life last spring (was 38, about to turn 39), and have been at the range 2x a week since (during playable weather - which in Toronto, Ontario basically means April to October), and posted 20 rounds last summer.

I had a game planned with a client, but he had to fly to NYC last minute this AM, and cancelled.  I decided since I already had it in my calendar, and the weather was glorious, I would go on and play a round anyway.  I booked a game for 7:15am via Last Minute Golfer, at a local course called Lowville, and hit my first birdie ever!

135 yard 7 iron to 3 feet on the 13th hole, from the whites.  Plunked in the short putt after waiting for everyone else, and was really happy about that.

A great feeling, glad there were some other LMG'ers (Last Minute Golf) there to witness it.

The round was not great, but that hole sure was.  :hyper:

maxwalrath

Re: First Birdie in golf
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2009, 07:37 pm »
Congrats!  That's such a good feeling.  I had a similar first birdie experience (about the same hole length and put distance) last fall, it was awesome!

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2009, 07:43 pm »
3 feet?  You couldn't have gone ahead and put it in for the ace??    :lol:

Kidding, congrats on your first!  It only takes one hole like that per round to keep you coming back for more....

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2009, 08:17 pm »
After playing golf for almost my entire life (probably 40+ years of slugging) I am always overjoyed when something goes right. Those are the one's you savor. Congrats. Next stop ... hole in one (something I still haven't had).

It also amazes me that you can hit the ball 80 - 90 - 100+ times in a round and still only remember the very few good shots that you hit that day and forget the dozens of others.

It also amazes me that once in a scarce while everything seems to go right. Not just for one hole, but for most of the round, and is reflected in the low score. Only to be completely lost the next time you go out.

GOLF - the longest learning curve of any sport, and no way to reach "perfection". Also the only sport where the average you are shooting for (par) is reached by so few people.

Enjoy,
Bob

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2009, 09:37 pm »
Yeah Yeah, why are you excited, you MISSED the hole by 3 feet!

I actually remember almost all my shots - an old pool playing habit - I refer to it as learning 2 rolodex's.  One is the set of shots that worked, and should be repeated.  The other is ths stuff that was junk, and if you can remember to never to it again, that is good!

It is an interesting game indeed.  Up to today, I was always brought back by one or two shots in a row that were good, but never a birdie.

My new goal is a birdie on a Par 4 or 5 - that will mean I can putt!

Seriously, based on paying more attention both to the overall score (119 for the record) and to the number of putts, I will change my practice to include way more putting.  I think I can drop 18 strokes in putts alone if I concentrate on that!

My wedge game continues to be my best part - when I play in scrambles, that is the reason that I am there.  I saved some crazy stuff, and the other 2 guys in the 4some (broke 80, and broke 90) were really surprised that I had hands around the green, but lots of trouble getting near it, and once on it!

Lots of fun, and at least it is outside - not many outdoor pool tables around...

rodge827

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2009, 01:47 am »
Hi Mark,
Congrats on your first birdie  :thumb:
It's way cool when that happens 8)
I got my first bird on a 3 par, and broke 100 for the first time in that same round. aa
Ahhhhh what a day  :beer:

Take some time and money and invest it with a good PGA teaching pro, and the other parts of your game will come around. I wish I had done that, now I'm trying to break too many bad habits :duh:

Hit'em well

Chris   

markC

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2009, 03:49 am »
Hey Mark Good for you. You know the old saying ...drive for show,putt for dough! I used to golf a lot, like 2-3 times a week. In the last 3 years or so some old injuries are haunting me and it's tough to get a pain free round in. Thus, my game has suffered and have lost enthusiasm. I used to be a consistant low 90's golfer. :(