Car Applications

acencsu

Car Applications
« on: 20 Apr 2009, 05:04 pm »
Hello,

I couldn't find an answer through searching so I figured I'd post a topic and see if anybody has any thoughts/experience about using a w/h/u-frame open baffle subwoofer in a car.  I know there would be a lot of issues but the car in question would be a large SUV so I feel like it would at least be approaching enough space for something like this to work (although it would of course not be enough space to be ideal).  Thanks for your help.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
Re: Car Applications
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2009, 09:11 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:42 pm by EARGASM »

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2009, 10:50 am »
I've been wanting to ask for ages about using the servo controlled subs in a sealed box in a car. I guess this thread is as good a place as any!

Is Rythmik planning a 12volt amp?

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2009, 12:59 pm »
Open baffle is a great idea.  It will work specially if you move the subwoofers close to your ears to minimize the effect of cancellation. 8)

However, if you isolate the rear sound wave with an enclosure or barrier, the bass is much more efficient.

I have been to IASCA and as far as SQ, subwoofers are enclosed in one form or another.  I am speaking for the one's that won the competition. :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2009, 02:32 pm »
IB is likely the way to go with a desire to limit box use in the car.  You basically build a wall across the back seat, and use the entire trunk volume as the enclosure.

That all said, I have always found sealed subs in cars did just fine - there is TREMEMDOUS cabin gain in cars...

acencsu

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2009, 02:36 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  The only problem with infinite baffle is that it would be in an SUV (no trunk to seal off) and I just can't see myself cutting a hole that big in my car.

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2009, 02:45 pm »
There are great installers out there on the net.  You should be able to find excellent alternative to your sound.  There are always compromise.

A great place to start is at DIY Mobile Audio dot com.

acencsu

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2009, 02:47 pm »
Sorry I didn't mean that I couldn't see myself personally cutting that big of a hole...more that I couldn't see anyone, me or an installer, cutting something like that into it.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2009, 11:57 pm »
I've been wondering about this as well.  I just didn't bring it up because it's a long ways down my toy priority list.  Besides, the JL 12w3's (sealed box) are the one subwoofer I own that's actually working fine.  Mostly, I've been thinking I'd like to replace that box, along with the subs, with a nicer single sub in a smaller box so as to reclaim some trunk - and more importantly the back seat pass through.  I've never measured the output in my car, but it's "enough."  I don't go to competitions, I just like clean, strong, musical bass in the car that will give me a kick in the chest when I want it to.  I don't suppose anybody thinks a 12" servo sub in a 1.2 cu. sealed box would keep up with a pair of 12w3's powered by an old school MTX 500d?  As asked above, is there a 12v solution for the amp?

Stereodude

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2009, 12:28 am »
That must be the only sub you didn't get from AV123.  :lol:

Levi

« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2009, 12:39 am »
I find the bass much faster sounding if it is located inside the cabin instead of in the trunk.  Equalization can cure bass delay to a certain degree.  Think of it this way, you have bookshelf and subwoofer in the living room.  Normally one would put the subwoofer somewhere near the front speakers.  Definitely it would sound weird if you put the subwoofer in the back somewhere.    :o :scratch:

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2009, 03:15 pm »
That must be the only sub you didn't get from AV123.  :lol:

um..er... :oops:

woofersus

• Industry Participant
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2009, 03:23 pm »
I find the bass much faster sounding if it is located inside the cabin instead of in the trunk.  Equalization can cure bass delay to a certain degree.  Think of it this way, you have bookshelf and subwoofer in the living room.  Normally one would put the subwoofer somewhere near the front speakers.  Definitely it would sound weird if you put the subwoofer in the back somewhere.    :o :scratch:

Ufortunately it's not really possible to put a decent sub in the cabin of a sedan without severe modification of seats or sacrificing a significant amount of space.  I would argue, though, that if you choose the right gear it doesn't have to be a problem.  Lots of HT's locate the sub away from the speakers - even in the back of the room.  Localization is less of an issue if it's crossed over low enough.  Besides, in my car, the subs in the trunk are only about 4.5' away from me, so delay from distance is minimal.  A bigger source of "slow" sounding bass in cars is big ported bandpass boxes and big subs with awful suspension designed solely for loudness and not for accuracy.  Cheap amps that are sold on huge peak wattage that have horrible damping and high distortion don't help either.  Of course the huge cabin gain in a car as well as resonances in the trunk can make it tough to get linear bass response.  I have been quite pleased over the years with my JL Audio 12w3's in a sealed enclosure.  In fact, I'd say they're the "fastest" sounding subs I've got, although my ulw-10 does better with the higher frequencies.  The reason I'm asking about putting a servo sub in there is because if I can get less loading of the "room" I think it will be that much better, and I want better integration in the higher frequencies.  My primary goal though, is to go from 2 12" subs to one and get back trunk space without losing performance. (or spending $800 on a 12w7 or something)

Levi

« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2009, 01:06 pm »
There are great custom installers out there.  It is possible to have great fast bass in the cabin without cutting metal panels.   :)

BTW, JL Audio 12W7 is great sub for SPL.  I like SQ. :thumb:  Having just the right gear still will not cut it.  You can have the best speakers money can buy and still have no imaging.  :lol: 

However, there is no point for me in discussing this any further.     

Cheers,
--Levi