Has Anyone Tried The Sunfire "Load Invariant" Amp

ka7niq

• Roof Cleaning Tampa FL
« on: 11 May 2006, 03:44 am »
Though I know Bob and Diane Carver personally from living in Seattle, I have never tried one of his big Sunfires.

Back in 1982, Bob had some prototype pro sound amps he asked me to listen to.
I owned Fulton Premiers back then, a big, multidriver affair.
The Carver magnetic field amps produced 750 watts into 8 ohms!
I also owned an Acoustat TNT 200 Mosfet amp/

To make a long story short, on the big Fultons, the Acoustat TNT 200 had much better, fuller bass!
And, it "sounded" more punchy and powerful.
The Carver prototype wasn't bright, but it was quite bland sounding, and un involving.

Of course, this was a LONG time ago, and these were Carver prototypes.
The Sunfire almost looks like the Great Mother Of All Amplifiers, and seems capable of almost limitless power, and current, if one reads the White Paper ?

I was just curious as to why it isn't mentioned at all when amp recommendations arise as to good amps for the RM 40?

Like I said, I knew Bob and Diane Carver quite well when I lived in Seattle.
I have been to Bob's home many times.
I actually saw, and heard. the amp that he showed Stereophile could sound just like a Tube amp.
I heard it with my own ears!

I know Bob to be a fellow audiophile, and also to have a great deal of respect for Jim Bongiorno.

I have never heard a big Sunfire amp, and was just wondering if anyone has tried it on RM 40's, or other VMPS speakers, and what did you think ?

I am not about to dump my Moscode 600, but my friend who also owns RM 40's is considering it ?
Any comments ?

arthurs

« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2006, 12:17 pm »
I had the Signature 600 for awhile and it was really a pretty good amp.  Plenty of juice but you pretty much described it for me, kind of bland and not really too involving.  Didn't do anything horribly, and was a solid performer, just didn't get my attention by being spectacular in any area.  Once I heard better amps, it was easy to move on. Just my opinion, others may really love them....

mrbruce

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2006, 03:09 pm »
I've used my 7 year old Sunfire Signature with RM40s (TRT caps, spiral tweeter and upgraded megawoofer) for over 3 years and am very happy with it.  With the speaker placement set correctly, I get great imaging and a very wide  soundstage.  This is in a large (16'+ x 34' x 10'+) room. with room treatment and sitting 24 feet from the speakers.  
I previously had Carver AL-III speakers that sounded good (and much better after speaker placement refinement) but noted major improvement when the RM40s were installed.
I'm not a reviewer so can't offer the descriptors that more capable listener/reviewers might offer but am very satisfied with my setup.  (FWIW - McCormack RLD-1 and homemade 9 gauge 50 feet long, speaker cables.)

craigluna

Re: Has Anyone Tried The Sunfire "Load Invariant" Amp
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2017, 11:36 pm »
I've been using the Sunfire 300x2 for the last several years and have never been happier. Every once in a while, I swap in another amp for a few weeks (Audio Research, Krell, Adcom, Bryston) but nothing beats the Carver. I'm currently using them to drive B&W 801 Matrix Series 3's, Martin Logan Monoliths, NHT 3.3, Carver Amazing Platinums, KEF 107/2, Golden Ear Triton IIs, and several different magneplanars. The Sunfire just sounds amazing. In fact, I have another one I keep as a spare in the event this one ever dies--that's how much I like it over the others.