computer not starting

srb

Re: computer not starting
« Reply #60 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:45 am »
Windows 10 has Windows Defender built in but you will have to download something for Windows 7.

You can download the free Microsoft Security Essentials from Microsoft
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download

Everyone has their own favorite free anti-virus.  I use Avast, but there are certainly other contenders.
https://www.avast.com/en-us/index

soundofrockets

« Reply #61 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:50 am »
this post is from the fixed computer.

once updates are installed i will try to get the microsoft essentials.

the display has VGA connections.  If i want to change to HDMI connection - should i get a video card or just get an VGA-HDMI adapter?

srb

« Reply #62 on: 8 Feb 2018, 06:58 am »
If you mean the HP computer only has a VGA output on the display adapter, you're not really going to improve your display quality by converting to HDMI (in fact sometimes it can make it worse).

Basic HDMI video cards that do a great job for HD video (not gaming) are relatively inexpensive.

soundofrockets

« Reply #63 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:02 am »
this machine will be for little kids to do some basic gaming and computing.  any basic video card with HDMI output would work.  i am fortunate to have two CRT monitors with VGA otherwise i wouldn't be able to connect this machine to a monitor.  i understand that the card has to be low profile since the machine is small factor form.

soundofrockets

« Reply #64 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:07 am »
a quick search at frys electronics shows this one

MSI GeForce GT 710 2GB 64-Bit DDR3 Graphics Card

any thoughts ?

soundofrockets

« Reply #65 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:11 am »
seems like machine is stuck at installing number 10 update - maybe it is a big file  :scratch:

who knows !!

srb

« Reply #66 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:28 am »
Yeah, give it plenty of time.

Just be glad you didn't have an older version of Windows 7.  I reinstalled 7 from my original disk which was Service Pack 1.  There were several hundred updates to get it to the most current state beyond Service Pack 3!

The MSI is as good a choice as any.  Their drivers are usually pretty solid.

You can also save a couple bucks from one of my go-to suppliers, B&H Photo (unless you've got some kind of Fry's Promo Code deal).
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1234274-REG/msi_gt_710_2gd3h_lp_geforce_gtx_710_graphics.html

soundofrockets

« Reply #67 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:40 am »
still at update 10.

i will check out B and H link. 

soundofrockets

« Reply #68 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:43 am »
i don't have any frys code etc except that i can go pick it up on my way home and easy to return if needed. 

Doublej

« Reply #69 on: 8 Feb 2018, 12:30 pm »
You can get Fry's codes by signing up for email advertisements.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #70 on: 8 Feb 2018, 07:21 pm »
machine is downloading and installing 12 critical updates.  once completed and computer restarted i will recheck the status of those 4 devices.

does the OS come with some basic built in antivirus protection ?
W Defender is part of W10 for free.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #71 on: 8 Feb 2018, 11:26 pm »
seems like machine is stuck at installing number 10 update - maybe it is a big file  :scratch:

who knows !!
Bizarre that I can answer an IT question.  I just took my new laptop in to the shop, because it wouldn't load the new HUGE 10 update.  It's so damn big, the if your internet has any interruption, aborts and start again on the next startup. In my case, this went on for weeks.  I've only got one real option for internet, being a rural customer, so my speed is slow, expensive, and not always dependable.  The guys at the shop said nearly all their rural customers are bringing in the their computers because none of the them can load the update.   If you can connect to a faster connection and leave it overnight, you can probably avoid hiring a pro and incurring a charge.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #72 on: 8 Feb 2018, 11:39 pm »
Do you have WiFi or cable modem?

S Clark

« Reply #73 on: 8 Feb 2018, 11:54 pm »
Do you have WiFi or cable modem?
WiFi on a DSL, but hooking up a cable didn't solve the problem.  Even the pros with a T1 took a couple of hours.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #74 on: 9 Feb 2018, 12:09 am »
My link was and yet is today just 1M and the W10 download lasts about 12 hours, the update 3 to 4 hours, I believe these downloads have check points for save time;

srb

« Reply #75 on: 9 Feb 2018, 12:35 am »
Bizarre that I can answer an IT question.  I just took my new laptop in to the shop, because it wouldn't load the new HUGE 10 update.

Um, guys .... if you read soundofrockets posts you will see when he says "seems like machine is stuck at installing number 10 update - maybe it is a big file", he is referring to number 10 (of 12) updates for Windows 7, not Windows 10.

If he later decides to upgrade to Windows 10 and has problems, then perhaps these Windows 10 upgrade comments will be more meaningful.  ;)

Doublej

« Reply #76 on: 9 Feb 2018, 12:59 am »
This round of Windows 10 updates are massive. After the download it can take hours for the update to fully install once downloaded especially on older machines. I believe it's due in part to multiple parties all trying to address the thing themselves instead of coordinating between H/W, S/W and A/V vendors. Now they are all patching the patches.

If you have a slow connection and need to apply a large patch consider visiting your local library if it's not too far away and has decent speed connection. You can have  friend put the patch on a USB stick and postal mail it to you.

Back to the OP. If the machine is stuck on patch 10 of 12 and has been that way for 24 hours I would hit the power off button and restart the machine. Occasionally Windows gets stuck at which point there's no choice but to reboot (and pray).

S Clark

« Reply #77 on: 9 Feb 2018, 01:09 am »
Um, guys .... if you read soundofrockets posts you will see when he says "seems like machine is stuck at installing number 10 update - maybe it is a big file", he is referring to number 10 (of 12) updates for Windows 7, not Windows 10.

If he later decides to upgrade to Windows 10 and has problems, then perhaps these Windows 10 upgrade comments will be more meaningful.  ;)
Ok, that's more like it.  I was surprised that I had anything to offer on a computer question, and I didn't.  :duh:

soundofrockets

« Reply #78 on: 9 Feb 2018, 01:14 am »
Steve is right -  I was referring to the 10 of 12 updates.  I was able to complete it today AM.  It just went faster today AM.  I hope that the OS is stable.  I think I have to change some settings in the BIOS since every time the windows launches I get asked question about launching windows7 or restore.  I thing that windows should launch 7 directly every time.

Should I try to upgrade to Windows 10 later tonite?

Doublej

« Reply #79 on: 9 Feb 2018, 01:20 am »
Steve is right -  I was referring to the 10 of 12 updates.  I was able to complete it today AM.  It just went faster today AM.  I hope that the OS is stable.  I think I have to change some settings in the BIOS since every time the windows launches I get asked question about launching windows7 or restore.  I thing that windows should launch 7 directly every time.

Should I try to upgrade to Windows 10 later tonite?

I would first make sure you have the latest BIOS firmware from HP and fix the settings issue above and then go for it! Actually I would make sure I had all of the latest HP drivers for it but I am not sure if this is relevant for a Windows 10 upgrade.